ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New XLR5 Velocity Review
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey Guys,
I have never done a gun review but felt that this may be helpful to some...

I started shooting a couple of years ago. I shoot skeet a couple of times per week. Occasional Trap, Sporting Clays and Wobble but not enough to mention.

I have had several very nice O/Us but never really bonded with them. I shot a friends 1100 and was bitten by the autoloader bug..they just feel more "lively" to me.

I then purchased a Beretta A400 Excel w Kick Off but did not care for it for whatever reason. I also bought a A300 sligthly used from a club member and immediately traded it (kicked the heck out of my shoulder) (really!)

So, I ended up with a older 20ga 1100 and a Competition 1100. I really liked the competition 1100 . After a few fail to cycles in the first several boxes it start to run well and has fairly light recoil...

I had been reading about the Fabarms for a while and held a couple in local stores . I ended up ordering a new XLR5 LR Velocity Black. It came two days ago and I got a chance to shoot it today....FANTASTIC! I was shooting 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 8 shot and there was hardly any recoil at all. A couple of the guys I shoot with even commented on the apparent lack of recoil. I shot a 96 today with the last two rounds being straights... 50 in a row is a personal best for me. Also, out the 100 rounds that I shot I did not have a single Failure to cycle . I'm sold! The gun balances perfectly for me, has super light recoil and a fantastic trigger. This gun also fit me like a glove right out of the case.

If you have been interested in the XLR5 go for it ! I love mine!!!

Post subject: Re: New XLR5 Velocity Review
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I now have 500 rounds through it and it just keeps getting better.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I have heard good things about those guns. Does yours have an adjustable rib?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rick,
Glad you like your gun. I have the same model. Got it not quite 2 years ago. I did the online research about S/A's and narrowed my choices down to B guns (Beretta, Benelli, and Browning) and the Fabarm. The Beretta A400 just didn't feel right. The Browning Maxus was OK, but I had the feeling it just wasn't the gun I wanted. It came down to between the Fabarm and the Benelli Super Sport. I was fortunate enough to find both in a local gun shop and probably spent close to 1/2 hour picking one up, checking fit, swing, etc., and then immediately switching to the other gun. The Benelli was certainly bad a$$ looking, but the Fabarm just had something intangible that settled the issue.

I've used mine for several sporting clay events and also for trap shooting, during which I use a shell catcher. I shot a charity SC event today. My other 3 squad mates all had O/U's. I watched them shoot and noticed the amount recoil they experienced. I was shooting GC 7-1/2 1-1/8 shells and never felt a thing. So far I have no regrets choosing the Fabarm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I've been looking at (on the internet) a Fabarm XLR5 Titanium 32”, but are they really 8 lbs 3oz? I'm not a fan of heavy guns, I prefer a semi auto in the 7.2-7.5 lb range.

Anyone have a 32" (or 30) they can weigh?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

the xlr5 is definitely heavy. for me i love the feel. If i were to get an autoloader i would buy it.

NSCA Life Member
NRA Member
Georgia Carry Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:11 am 
Crown Grade

The XLR5 FR Velocity Sporter, IMO, is a fantastic sporting clays auto. It really is compared to numerous other autos I've had over the years. Alas though, Fabarm USA informed me on 5-27-20 that the model has been discontinued. I had contacted them looking for another one with 30" barrels and they said to forget it, go with the L4S, which I have done.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:26 am 
Crown Grade

I hate it when that happens.

The L4S Sport seemed a bit front heavy to me, but not bad. Some prefer forward weight, I prefer a lighter barrel feel. Build quality is tops.