ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Floppy Break Open O/U Action
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I freely admit that I am totally ignorant about the mechanical workings of break open shotguns, so I’ll put that out up front.

I shot a friend’s CG shotgun the other day, and I noticed that when opening the action it just flopped open with no drag or resistance whatsoever. What is the cause/fix for that? Is it a bad thing? Does it indicate damage of some sort? The gun is relatively new with probably fewer than 500 rounds through it, so I was surprised that it was so loose. It gave me an uneasy feeling that it was about to fall apart! I’m thinking a CG “Pit Stop” treatment is in order, but it seems strange that it should need this so early on in its shooting “life.” Any thoughts on this? Is this condition specific to GC guns or is it a common occurrence with all break open shotguns?

Cheers!
{hs#

Post subject: Re: Floppy Break Open O/U Action
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The effort needed to open the gun has nothing to do with the strength of the lockup or wear on the locking parts. The fact that the gun was easy to open means that the parts involved with the rotation of the barrels are a good fit.

Many O/U's come from the factory with a very rough, gritty mating between the rotational surfaces and depend upon the user to wear them in through (hopefully) careful and well lubricated usage. Some shooters mistake this greater effort to open as a sign of a tight lockup of the action when actually it only signifies that the manufacturer wasn't very careful or precise in their machining and finishing of the rotational contact surfaces.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses wrote:
The effort needed to open the gun has nothing to do with the strength of the lockup or wear on the locking parts. The fact that the gun was easy to open means that the parts involved with the rotation of the barrels are a good fit.

Many O/U's come from the factory with a very rough, gritty mating between the rotational surfaces and depend upon the user to wear them in through (hopefully) careful and well lubricated usage. Some shooters mistake this greater effort to open as a sign of a tight lockup of the action when actually it only signifies that the manufacturer wasn't very careful or precise in their machining and finishing of the rotational contact surfaces.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info. I guess this means my friend’s gun was well made. Great! No need for concern about the loosey goosey action. That’s what I was hoping to hear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Pit Stop will tighten it up. I had a few Guerini's and the ones I shot regularly all did it. I never once questioned the durability of the lock, but I didn't like the feel of it personally. I'll say that I was surprised at how quickly it got there, but I shot them a ton and took care of them. I'm shooting a couple of Zoli's now - it's a different design and the lockup feel doesn't seem to change. Not saying it's stronger - it is what it is - different mechanism - I just like it better. It wasn't why I switched.

But the gun itself is in no way faulty or in dire need of service.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

wasthestumper wrote:
The Pit Stop will tighten it up. I had a few Guerini's and the ones I shot regularly all did it. I never once questioned the durability of the lock, but I didn't like the feel of it personally. I'll say that I was surprised at how quickly it got there, but I shot them a ton and took care of them. I'm shooting a couple of Zoli's now - it's a different design and the lockup feel doesn't seem to change. Not saying it's stronger - it is what it is - different mechanism - I just like it better. It wasn't why I switched.

But the gun itself is in no way faulty or in dire need of service.

Thanks for your input. I’m glad to know it has nothing to do with the strength of the lockup, and there is nothing unsafe about it. It just gave me the feeling the gun was about ready to fall apart!

You said Guerini’s you shot regularly all got loose. It would be interesting to know if more Guerini owners out there have had the same experience. Did you send yours in for the Pit Stop service, and if so, after they serviced it and tightened it up, did it work loose quickly again?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I've seen floppy Browning's, CG's, Beretta's, P-guns, K-guns, Winchesters, Miroku's, Savage's, Ruger's (but they're flopping from the factory), F.A.I.R., Rizzini and the list goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:58 am 
Diamond Grade

At around 3.5k rounds my Zoli Z sport is not at all floppy. I shot a Perazzi with enough use to wear the barrel blueing to almost silver and while it wasn’t very tight I wouldn’t quite describe it as floppy. Handled a used Summit and it was very floppy. Definitely not a good feel but I’ve not seen anyone say it’s a bad thing.

Last edited by birdhunter39 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:01 am 
Crown Grade

My Challenger is from 2011 and has never been floppy. It's had one service 2½ years ago at which they tightened it, probably too much for comfort, and even though I hadn't requested it. All they did was fit a slightly larger spacer in the forend assembly - which is pretty much how it's done on the Beretta DT10.

It took about 2000 rounds to get comfortable again but it's still a long way from floppy and people who try it still remark how tight it is to open.

Maybe my grease is just too good. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Love my Challenger. Capital gun. Was thinking of purchasing a 692 and was easily convinced the Challenger was the better gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

There are some great guns out there and I've tried 1 or 2 that really floated my boat so to speak - but then they were 3 or 4 times the price of a Challenger. When it comes to all the various performance characteristics that resonate with me as a target gun for sporting clays, I would say that there is no other mid range, mid price O/U that comes close to the CGs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:59 am 
Field Grade

Trickster wrote:
There are some great guns out there and I've tried 1 or 2 that really floated my boat so to speak - but then they were 3 or 4 times the price of a Challenger. When it comes to all the various performance characteristics that resonate with me as a target gun for sporting clays, I would say that there is no other mid range, mid price O/U that comes close to the CGs.

Agree 100%

Browning 725 Field 20 ga
Weatherby Orion SKB 12 ga