ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summit Sporting vs Ascent Sporting?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I know right now from the start, that funds will preclude buying a second gun.
I have shot the Summit and it's a great fit for me.
If I decide to go with CG, for a mix of NON PRO trap, skeet and SC's use, is there an advantage/disadvantage in the slightly higher rib on the Ascent vs the Summit?

Again I have no illusions of shooting competition level, just want to have the gun which will be best suited to the mix of games listed and have fun doing so.

Post subject: Re: Summit Sporting vs Ascent Sporting?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rib heighth boils down to individual preference.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:29 pm 
Limited Edition

hopper810 wrote:
Rib heighth boils down to individual preference.

Thanks Jerry.

Would it matter if the primary game were sporting clays?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:00 am 
Presentation Grade

I have owned both and still have the Ascent that I keep as a back-up gun to my Krieghoff Sporter. Both are great guns. Aside from the mid-height rib on the Ascent, be aware that it weighs ~12+ ounces more than the Summit Sporter. For me, the Ascent would be a better sporting clays and trap gun while the Sporter may be a more nimble FITASC Gun. As others have already said, it’s really a matter of preference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Look around your club and see if any of the Sporting shooters have high ribs on their guns,if so ask if you can try them. Some folks love um for Sporting and many don't care for them. :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Would there be any instance when a mid rib gun - like the Ascent would be a disadvantage?
And couldn't that me mitigated by the adjust comb?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I understand that you're wanting to make an informed descion and trying to gather information but most of your questions boil down to personal likes/dislikes and just come with trigger time and experiance and trying different things. Sorry couldn't be more helpful just as our thoughts/opinions are from our points of view and experiances and may or may not transfer to what works for you.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've owned both, before I moved over to the Syren line, and liked both guns. I sold the Ascent to fund buying the Syren Tempio. The Summit Sporting, bought used at Cabela's, was my first 12 gauge and I am very fond of it. I could not bring myself to sell it, so it has been permanently housed with my friend James, and I get to visit it, drink single malt scotch and eat Mrs. James' awesome chili. (James did have to have the stock lengthened). The Summit Sporting and the Ascent are both great guns. My only quibble with the Ascent was that it was too heavy for me, but then I am an old woman and you are not. Sooo, what Hopper810 said is exactly correct. Both good guns, and it comes down to which one sparks the most joy in you. If one sparks joy at a lower price point, that is a bonus. MAJ

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks All.
I do understand that it is user preference, just trying to figure out if there was a case (to those with experience with both) that you'd say "Wish I had I higher rib for those shots," or conversely, "I wish I had a normal rib gun for today's shoot."

So I am formulating a game plan which should help with my decision. I may well take a drive to CG in MD and shoulder the guns and then see if I can select one with the wood grain to my liking. Though obviously not something that affects shooting, beeing an amatuer woodworker, I can can appreciate nice lookin' wood.

BTW, MAJ, I ain't an old woman but at 66, I'm an old man!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 pm 
Limited Edition

I can shoot a low and mid rib equally well. I dont see any advantages or disadvantages. Just preference as everyone says. However, the weight difference IS important. It took months for me to learn how to aggressively drive the heavier Ascent when I made the transition. Once I learned I was fine. Also, once I learned, it became harder to switch back to a lighter semi when I wanted to shoot one. Never had that problem going from my Silver Pigeon to a semi and back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobFM wrote:
Thanks All.
So I am formulating a game plan which should help with my decision. I may well take a drive to CG in MD and shoulder the guns and then see if I can select one with the wood grain to my liking. Though obviously not something that affects shooting, beeing an amatuer woodworker, I can can appreciate nice lookin' wood.!

Ooohhh, best plan ever! You will have so much fun. Be sure and meet Andrew, he is awesome. MAJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 am 
Crown Grade

BobFM wrote:
Thanks All.
I do understand that it is user preference, just trying to figure out if there was a case (to those with experience with both) that you'd say "Wish I had I higher rib for those shots," or conversely, "I wish I had a normal rib gun for today's shoot."

So I am formulating a game plan which should help with my decision. I may well take a drive to CG in MD and shoulder the guns and then see if I can select one with the wood grain to my liking. Though obviously not something that affects shooting, beeing an amatuer woodworker, I can can appreciate nice lookin' wood.

Pardon?? You got lots of good years left, my friend! Agree with MAJ, great plan! At the price points at which those guns reside.... yeah, I`d definitely say a road trip is justified!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:59 pm 
Limited Edition

ds cowboy wrote:
I can shoot a low and mid rib equally well. I dont see any advantages or disadvantages. Just preference as everyone says. However, the weight difference IS important. It took months for me to learn how to aggressively drive the heavier Ascent when I made the transition. Once I learned I was fine. Also, once I learned, it became harder to switch back to a lighter semi when I wanted to shoot one. Never had that problem going from my Silver Pigeon to a semi and back.

Thanks - good point about the weight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Tidefanatic wrote:
BobFM wrote:
Thanks All.

Pardon?? You got lots of good years left, my friend! Agree with MAJ, great plan! At the price points at which those guns reside.... yeah, I`d definitely say a road trip is justified!

Well, I called my dealer to make mention to CG that I was interested in going there to check out a few guns - Summit Sporting, Summit Limited and Ascent. So I called Will at CG and I have a Tuesday morning appointment. This way I can handle the Sporting as well as the Ascent and at least get a decent feel for the guns.

Regarding choosing between the Sport and Limited - if I see a Sporting that has wow type wood, I will just may get that one and save that grand for lessons, shooting glasses, ammo, etc.etc. If that Ascent suits me better, I'll pop fr the extra coin.

I'm pretty excited about the visit and I'm sure they can give good guidance on making that choice - though ultimately of course it's my choice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:02 am 
Diamond Grade

If you shoot a lot it won’t be your last gun so don’t stress about which rib. Just buy what feels good/fits well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:48 am 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
If you shoot a lot it won’t be your last gun so don’t stress about which rib. Just buy what feels good/fits well.

Well, it may or may not be my last gun, but knowing me, it probably will be. So that's the main reason I'm taking the trip to CG - get the feel of the few guns on my list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobFM, let us know what happens. MAJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 pm 
Limited Edition

MAJENKINS wrote:
BobFM, let us know what happens. MAJ

Will do!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 am 
Field Grade

BobFM wrote:
Would there be any instance when a mid rib gun - like the Ascent would be a disadvantage?
And couldn't that me mitigated by the adjust comb?

Yes and no.
My opinion... and I've stated it elsewhere recently..... those super high (even 'mid-level') ribs and adjustable combs and buttplates add weight, offset balance, and promote poor gun mount and bad body position, unless you have a medical/physical necessity. If you're having to chase poor shooting from one modification/add-on/whatever to a gun, by adding another... maybe it's time to start over from scratch.
Most are buying those and/or having them installed just because their buddy did, or "I've seen a lot of these at the clubs."
Just find a gun you really like and want. Then, first work with a coach/instructor on gun mount and technique, before running off to the fitter or gunsmith to butcher and add on possibly unnecessary 'improvements'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:46 am 
Diamond Grade

couldn't disagree more.

I went mid rib because it's damned comfortable, helps me immensely with straight away shots and offers better view of the target in a great many presentations.

In short it fits like it was made for me.