ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood Finish Care
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:05 am 
Field Grade

I just purchased a 28 ga. Summit Sporting with upgraded wood. I'm trying to decide what to clean the wood with. I've read Clenszoil was better than Boiled Linseed Oil. I have a couple of places where my hand dulls the finish. I did try the Clenszoil wipes, but you can still see the spots. I would think something to clean the wood without harming the finish, then Boiled Linseed Oil. Any help would greatly be appreciated. John

Post subject: Re: Wood Finish Care
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It may well be that the previous owner's sweat, sunscreen, bug spray, etc., removed part of the finish. That's what happened with my first CG, and when I traded it in August Crocker sent it back to CG to have the stock refinished. I told August that I had followed the CG recommendation of boiled linseed oil, and his response was that BLO was wrong for our humid Texas climate as it never really dries out. Also, I noticed that if I used BLO every time I used the gun it built up and made the stock a little tacky. August is the one who recommended Clenzoil, which I've used successfully on my other guns. Each of those guns was a new gun; the Clenzoil doesn't cure previous boo-boos but it does remove the gunk and preserve the existing finish. I've also used Renaissance Wax which seems to have the same success as the Clenzoil the Clenzoil is just much more convenient. Renaissance Wax can also be used on the metal parts of the gun, has multiple other uses, and it smells really good. I met some friends for drinks at a cigar bar a few weeks ago and my leather handbag still reeked of cigar smoke the next day, even after having been left outside to air out for hours. I finally just rubbed it down with RenWax and problem solved. MAJ

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:27 am 
Crown Grade

John20 wrote:
I just purchased a 28 ga. Summit Sporting with upgraded wood. I'm trying to decide what to clean the wood with. I've read Clenszoil was better than Boiled Linseed Oil. I have a couple of places where my hand dulls the finish. I did try the Clenszoil wipes, but you can still see the spots. I would think something to clean the wood without harming the finish, then Boiled Linseed Oil. Any help would greatly be appreciated. John

John, just a suggestion. Once you get the finish the way you want it, try a pair of shooting gloves.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:16 pm 
Field Grade

Majenkins, I bought this gun used without a mark on it. I live in Florida where we have high humidity like you in Texas. I'll keep using the Clenszoil wipes per you recommendation.
Thanks, John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John20 wrote:
Majenkins, I bought this gun used without a mark on it. I live in Florida where we have high humidity like you in Texas. I'll keep using the Clenszoil wipes per you recommendation.
Thanks, John

Consider getting the spray bottle of Clenzoil and a clean rag. Cheaper than the wipes and it gives you the ability to put more C on problem spots. I carry the small spray bottle and a rag in my range bag and give my gun a quick wipe down when I finish shooting before I put the gun in the gun slip. Then when I get home I wipe it down again and put it in the safe almost wet, wiping it down with a dry rag when I take it out of the safe. So far, so good. Good luck to you. MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:12 am 
Field Grade

Maj, Thanks again for some good advice. John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

What about using Murphy's soap to clean it and then some oil or wax afterwards?
I live in FL as well and have that on an oiled browning stock. I also use golf gloves to keep my sweat from the gun

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:59 pm 
Limited Edition

On Crocker's recommendation mentioned by MAJENKIN's - I've ordered the Clenzoil for the stock and forend. Also as mentioned to help with keeping the forend's finish from excessive wear - shooting gloves.

Last edited by BobFM on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Clenzoil is also good for cleaning your bores and choke tube threads

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:12 am 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
Clenzoil is also good for cleaning your bores and choke tube threads

It sure is, but I have Froglube on hand, based on a thread in the main forum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:11 am 
Crown Grade

BobFM wrote:
On Crocker's recommendation mentioned by MAJENKIN's - I've ordered the Clenzoil for the stock and forend. Also as mentioned to help with keeping the forend's finish from excessive wear - shooting gloves.

I`m a late in my shooting life convert. Now I don`t shoot anywhere, clay range or the field, without gloves.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
BobFM wrote:

I`m a late in my shooting life convert. Now I don`t shoot anywhere, clay range or the field, without gloves.

Gloves would do me little good as I could Olympic medal in sweating; and I refuse to shoot in a ski mask! MAJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
BobFM wrote:

Gloves would do me little good as I could Olympic medal in sweating; and I refuse to shoot in a ski mask! MAJ

MAJ,

Have you tried light weight, 100% deer skin gloves? They do not have to be shooting gloves and the last ones I got, were in Home Depot. I am having trouble buying them again because now they only stock sizes for NBA player's size hands!

I have gravitated to those after decades of all types of others. They keep the gun secure and do not "sweat through" even in the swamp inferno aka FL.

I agree with Tide in that after using gloves 40+ years ago when competing, I have gotten to where the "feel" of a guns checkering against my hands is distracting! LOL

The gloves like I describe of 100% deer skin are also great when busting through brush after grouse. Give them more than a cursory try and you may be surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oyeme, my problem isn't my hands, which are practically the only thing that doesn't sweat in the summer. It's my head and face. By the end of a skeet league afternoon, I look like someone poured a bucket of water over me. I even keep a bottle of roll-on antiperspirant in my gear bag and roll it down the side of my face before I shoot so my cheek doesn't slide off the stock. So the Clenzoil has preserved my stock through buckets of sweat, sunscreen, bug spray, and Ban roll-on. My next cooling effort is a cool vest that has insertable flat ice packs. Of course, I got it just as it started to cool off. It looks just like a Wal-Mart vest (clean up in aisle three!). Mary Ann

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 pm 
Crown Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Oyeme, my problem isn't my hands, which are practically the only thing that doesn't sweat in the summer. It's my head and face. By the end of a skeet league afternoon, I look like someone poured a bucket of water over me. I even keep a bottle of roll-on antiperspirant in my gear bag and roll it down the side of my face before I shoot so my cheek doesn't slide off the stock. So the Clenzoil has preserved my stock through buckets of sweat, sunscreen, bug spray, and Ban roll-on. My next cooling effort is a cool vest that has incurable flat ice packs. Of course, I got it just as it started to cool off. It looks just like a Wal-Mart vest (clean up in aisle three!). Mary Ann

Too funny! Thanks I needed that!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:51 am 
Limited Edition

I mentioned this in another thread, but on MA's recommendation I bought some Clenzoil and like the way it works/looks/takes care of the wood.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

After reading this, I also bought Clenzoil, and am very impressed. Thanks for the information!

Drang nach Alger Flats!