ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracked Stock
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:06 pm 
Field Grade

My stock has cracked in the wrist area and crack goes nearly to the opening lever. 28ga Magnus. What can I expect from Guerini on replacing the stock?

Post subject: Re: Cracked Stock
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Obviously not CG, nor can I speak for them, but they are a more than fair company and I don't foresee a problem. BUT much depends on the age of the gun as well as was the damage caused by dropping the gun (I'm guessing it wasn't) or some other mishap not covered under warranty.

I'd be on the phone first thing Monday discussing it with the proper person. I'm sure they would want the gun sent back to them for proper assessment and then will notify you accordingly.

I don't think I'm offering much help, but I didn't want to leave your question unanswered, but the good news is that it's only a day and a half before you can have something way more concrete to go on. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 pm 

242Napa wrote:
My stock has cracked in the wrist area and crack goes nearly to the opening lever. 28ga Magnus. What can I expect from Guerini on replacing the stock?

If you don't like what they say, get in contact with Doug Carpenter. He is as good as they get.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/member ... le&u=23062

PM him at this link.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/ucp.ph ... se&u=23062

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 pm 
Limited Edition

So, did you contact CG?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:47 am 
Field Grade

Gun returned to CG. Received a call saying the crack was unrepairable and they would knock a new stock down to just under 1300.00 but they would also cut to original length of pull and put a pad on. I was informed this was a 60.00 value in itself.

This gun has had less than 3000 rounds through it, never dropped nor mishandled. Bottom line from Phil one of the head gunsmiths, wood is not covered under their guarantee. Age of the gun should no be a factor to cause the stock to crack.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:11 pm 
Crown Grade

That's disappointing! In fact it's down right maddening!

Try Carpenter like Curly recommended. Worse case he confirms what CG said but maybe he could repair and save you a bunch. Being that it is a 28 gauge maybe crack can be repaired since it won't get lots of vibration via recoil. Good luck and I would be interested in what Mr. Carpenter says can be done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:30 pm 

oyeme wrote:

Try Carpenter like Curly recommended. Worse case he confirms what CG said but maybe he could repair and save you a bunch. Being that it is a 28 gauge maybe crack can be repaired since it won't get lots of vibration via recoil. Good luck and I would be interested in what Mr. Carpenter says can be done.

Seen junk go into his shop and miracles come out.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:49 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:

No maker warrants wood as there could be things not visible that might cause issues. That's especially true with very fancy wood if the grain is not straight through the wrist

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm with Curly on this, send it to his bud to see what he haas to say. If he says that he can't fix it, consider going to a custom stocktaker and getting one ade that is perfectly fitted to you. If you are going to have to spend money you may as well go for top shelf. MAJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:43 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
oyeme wrote:

No maker warrants wood as there could be things not visible that might cause issues. That's especially true with very fancy wood if the grain is not straight through the wrist

Yeah, but it is still a kick in the teeth on what is essentially a new gun!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 pm 
Limited Edition

oyeme wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
oyeme wrote:

Yeah, but it is still a kick in the teeth on what is essentially a new gun!

Yes by all means follow what MAJ and Curly recommended, but I agree with you 100% - that is a kick in the teeth on a gun with such limited use.
Personally I think the stock/wood should be warranted - at least for a set time period unless it can be proven that the customer abused the stock in some manner.
Why should the customer be on the turd end of the stick (so to speak) - the manufacturer picked the wood!?! He bought it in good faith.
I would do as Curly suggested but that would be the last CG I would ever buy and I say that as a huge fan of CG's and CG's Customer Service.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow such hostility towards the mfg for this I don't really get it? I mean hell yeah it sucks to have a relatively new gun and the stock crack but like oneounceload said, no mfg warranties the wood no matter what brand of gun you buy. Go spend $30K on a K-gun and see if they'll replace your stock for FREE. They tell you the same thing. So CG is willing to cut him a good deal on a replacement stock and knock off what they can to help out and the response to that from BobFM is "I would never buy a CG again"? HA! Are you kidding me!? I mean stuff happens, and are you that willing to write a company off that quickly because you heard about one unfortunately circumstance when you supposedly claim to be a "huge fan of CG's and CG's Customer Service"? C'mon....

Bottom line. Would I be pissed? Absolutely! Is it really CG's fault? No. Is it reasonable for them to at the very least help me out on the cost of getting a new replacement stock? Yes, and it sounds like they did.

So what's the issue here again?

On a serious note. 242Napa I'd try to see if it can get fixed. Why not if it's cost effective right? On the other hand, a custom Wenig stock is pretty cool when you get to pick out the figure in the wood and have it cut to your own measurements. Never had it done before but they do look great. Probably not the cheapest option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Stock cracks can be easily repaired with little to no evidence if you are willing to do a total refinish at the same time. The epoxy glue joint will be stronger than the wood around it. I did my model 99 savage and the after pic makes the repair more noticeable than in person. Without the before pic it would be hard to pick out the crack from the grain pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well done, you! MAJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

That looks pretty damn good! You would be hard pressed to tell it had a crack unless you were looking for it. That repair and refinish job looks great. Was that all done by you or did you send it out to have it fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

All done by me and using many Timberluxe topcoats with several thinned Danish walnut oil coats first so epoxy doesn’t suck into stripped wood. Pic with cracks is after striping and danish oil and prior to injecting epoxy into cracks with needle and syringe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Well done, you! MAJ

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:22 pm 
Limited Edition

If you are an NRA member, you have insurance on your guns and equipment if they are lost, stolen, or damaged while hunting, fishing, shooting clay targets, etc. The OP should call and find out if this might be covered. Decades ago I slipped and fell on the ice while shooting clay targets at a local gun club. The gun club didn't have insurance that would cover that, my homeowner's didn't cover it, and then someone suggested that I call the NRA insurance number. They replaced the stock with a comparable piece of wood - actually better, and they replaced the forend as well so it would match. It would be worth a phone call to find out if this is covered, assuming you might be an NRA member.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:02 am 
Limited Edition

MAJENKINS wrote:
Well done, you! MAJ

Agree, well done. Proper use of epoxy can work wonders.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 am 
Limited Edition

MDshooterSam wrote:
Wow such hostility towards the mfg for this I don't really get it? I mean hell yeah it sucks to have a relatively new gun and the stock crack but like oneounceload said, no mfg warranties the wood no matter what brand of gun you buy. Go spend $30K on a K-gun and see if they'll replace your stock for FREE. They tell you the same thing. So CG is willing to cut him a good deal on a replacement stock and knock off what they can to help out and the response to that from BobFM is "I would never buy a CG again"? HA! Are you kidding me!? I mean stuff happens, and are you that willing to write a company off that quickly because you heard about one unfortunately circumstance when you supposedly claim to be a "huge fan of CG's and CG's Customer Service"? C'mon....

Bottom line. Would I be pissed? Absolutely! Is it really CG's fault? No. Is it reasonable for them to at the very least help me out on the cost of getting a new replacement stock? Yes, and it sounds like they did.

On a serious note. 242Napa I'd try to see if it can get fixed. Why not if it's cost effective right? On the other hand, a custom Wenig stock is pretty cool when you get to pick out the figure in the wood and have it cut to your own measurements. Never had it done before but they do look great. Probably not the cheapest option.

Yeah, I am a big fan of CG, Andrew help fit me for my gun- question what you want. And I was speaking for myself, what I would do in this circumstance. BUT after reading this post today I took a look at the price of CG replacement stocks - not sure of exactly which Magnus stock the OP's would be as the price varies, but it does appear that CG is giving him a discount on a replacement stock. So, my statement about not buying another CG is somewhat mitigated, but DUE TO THE AGE OF THE GUN, I'd still be plenty ticked off.

$1300 is a lot of money for fixing a problem you did not cause. And a problem so early on in ownership. Apparently all gun manufacturers say in effect "stocks are not covered under warranty/age of the gun has no bearing." I think this is an easy "out" from the manufactures. So, let's say I buy a new gun and shoot 100 shots and the stock is now cracked, I'm on the hook for that type of coin - really?

In my former life I was a hobbyist woodworker (so I am aware of expansion/contraction of wood) as well as a dealer for high end German woodworking tools. My customer base was pros as well as hobbyists. I had the chance to know some of them pretty well and visit their shops. I can tell you if one of them built a high end, custom bookcase or cabinet, delivered it to the customer and 3 months later the wood noticeably cracked/split, they would either fix it or replace the damaged area - no charge. Customers would expect and demand nothing less.

The OP has been given good advice from Curly as well as a great example of how epoxy can work. I hope we hear back from him.