ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Well, I did better today...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:31 pm 
Limited Edition

I posted this in the General Shotgun section but wanted to post here in the CG area also as I believe my properly fitting Summit was critical.

Last time I was at the trap course a few weeks ago - with an instructor, I did pretty poorly - only about 12 for 25. But, I was also using his gun. A week ago I finally got my CG Summit with adjustable comb. This is the gun that was fitted for me by Andrew at CG last month.

Last week - with my new Summit in hand I took a 2 hour lesson at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays and found it informative and fun. I shot fairly well.

Soooo, today I went back to that Trap course by myself and ended up shooting 75 out 100 (4 rounds). That's an improvement I'm happy about. And another plus is that the ones I missed I was aware of - and need to keep hammering away at those faux pas.

I'm going to concentrate mostly on Trap - as the club is only a few miles (rather than 95 miles for the SC clubs) away from me and the rates are very reasonable. Maybe some skeet at another place, but with both trap and skeet I can better hone skills and objectively quantify progress - or lack thereof.

Proper fitting gun, excellent instructors and practice is paying off. I'm liking that CG Summit!

Post subject: Re: Well, I did better today...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 pm 
Limited Edition

So today I went back to the trap club and shot 4 rounds - one round with the Federal 7/8 ounce and three rounds with the Federal 1 1/8 ounce shells. Thankfully only a very small amount of added recall, but I ended up shooting better with the heavier load. First round (7/8 once), went for about 18, then with 1 1/8 ounce load I did 19 then 22 and 22 per round. Ran out of ammo, so that was it for the day.

I have to think the heavier load helped as well as getting more used to and comfortable with my gun. Totally satisfied. Liking that Summit!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well done, you! MAJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:40 am 
Limited Edition

MAJENKINS wrote:
Well done, you! MAJ

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:35 am 
Limited Edition

I already posted this on the General forum last week with an update today but since I'm shootin' a CG Summit I figured it would still be appropriate here.

(November 9th)
So went to the club today with the highest of hopes, bolstered by the great scores I had earlier in the week.....
Well, let's just say I seem to have taken a step or two backwards. The 4 rounds averaged around 16 out of 25. Now granted the temps were in the 30's and on 2 rounds and I was wearing gloves for the first time but, but but...

Anyhow, I was determined to get back there later in the afternoon - which I did and went for 5 rounds. I averaged about 18 out of 25. But this time around I'm guessing my mount wasn't so good - cheek to stock and this time around I felt the recoil on my cheek.
The good news - if any, is that I am getting a little better with the R to L clays and I'm realizing that I need to better develop my hold and break point too.
Still tons of fun.

(November 12th)
Went again a couple of days ago and pretty much the same scores. If the weather's good will go tomorrow but I'm glad I booked a 3 hour lesson from a recommended instructor on Thursday. It will be SC's but I'm sure he will assess and help with the basics as well as hone in on my eye dominance issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 am 
Diamond Grade

As expected for a new gun. Don’t worry, you’ll get back to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 am 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
As expected for a new gun. Don’t worry, you’ll get back to it.

Thanks. I know I will get better with instruction and practice - but here is my "concern" - if that is even the proper term. How the heck could I have shot 19 and 22 and 22 - second time out with the new gun and then average 16-18 - at best for the next few hundred rounds on different days?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Lots of reasons but I don't think it's an unusual experience with a new gun.

Cold makes a difference.

We focus more on the target with a brand new gun the first few times.

Lastly I think consistency takes a lot of targets to establish.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's my guess. When you went out the first time you were thrilled with your new gun and were thinking about the new gun and about shooting it. Exciting! When you went back out you started thinking about other things--the mount, the lead, all those niggling things that get in your mind. So go back to thinking "I have a beautiful gun and it wants to break some clays" and go break some clays. Skeet shooting is something where it doesn't pay to think. And I speak with the voice of experience, as the most over analytical person ever to set foot on a pad. MAJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks birdhunter and MAJ.

I'm sure with a bit more instruction and a lot more practice I will get those scores up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 am 
Diamond Grade

Remember to pull the gun tight into your shoulder pocket and keep your cheek tight on the stock.