ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ordered a new L4S initial hunter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:19 pm 
Field Grade

During last years upland hunting I began to research a dedicated gun mainly for pheasants and the couple woodcock hunting days I spend each year. I have a camo M2 that is fine, but really wanted a wood stocked gun and a shorter barrel for those thick covers(my m2 is 28"). I'm a left eye shooter and I boiled it down to the montefeltro and the L4S. I finally made it over to the local gun shop yesterday and was able to handle a variety of fabarm semi-autos. They had a right hand initial that I could shoulder and see fit and finish. They had the fab left hand waterfowl gun on hand and my eye was smack down the rib on that one and it fit well. The manager called fabarm usa and they had one initial hunter L4S left hand 26" barrel in the warehouse. They allowed me to pick my pad, and I went with the 22mm. I'm really looking forward to shooting it soon, should have it in about 10 days. I looked on the fab website about chokes, but didn't see any specifics for that gun, other than it comes with three. Does anyone know the constrictions in inches, or approximate labels for the chokes? I will report back after I get some shot down the barrel.

Post subject: Re: Ordered a new L4S initial hunter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:48 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

As best I recall:

• #2; .012″
• #5; .022″
• #7; .031″

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:00 pm 
Crown Grade

For the chokes:

2= IC
5= Mod.
9= Full

Really like my L4S IH. Cleaned and lightly lubed it when I first got it before I shot it. Ran 9 or 10 pheasant loads through it, then switched to Gun Clubs, 1 1/8 oz., 1200 fps. 8`s and 7.5s. It`s been fine with those loads. Trying to remember any jams. I had one where the extractor pulled the brass clear of the shell ( shell problem ). Think I`ve had a couple of other jams in probably two flats at the range and in the dove fields that I really don`t know if it was gun or shell. I also use Gun Clubs for doves and they`re really not the pinnacle of target or field shells, so....hard to say. That gun was born for upland flushing game. Congrats!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:18 am 
Field Grade

I've got 7 boxes of 3 dram 1 1/8oz. through the gun. It seems to not fully cycle 20% of the time. Sometimes the empty hull jams in the ejection port on the way out, others the hull ejects but the 2nd shell fails to chamber and is sitting on the shell elevator below the action. I'm hoping this is just a break in period issue. I was not able to fire heavier loads through it due to club restrictions, but will continue to shoot it as much as possible, and will fire some heavier game loads through it when I get to a range that allows it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:23 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Did you clean it and lube it properly prior to shooting it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:37 am 
Field Grade

Yes Randy I did a cleaning that mirrored what Andrew did on the fabarm video and also I watched the one that you put up, both great sources of information. I called guerini today and the smith and I discussed proper cleaning method and intervals. I shot two rounds of trap tonight. The first 7 shells did not eject. After that is was hit and miss. On the second box of shells it was spitting them all out. 225 shells through it so far, I plan to have over 1,000 shot in a months time as I plan on using it as my primary pheasant gun and want to be comfortable with it and also have it running smoothly. I will report back as I continue to shoot it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:45 am 
Crown Grade

Look for PM.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Life of Riley wrote:
Yes Randy I did a cleaning that mirrored what Andrew did on the fabarm video and also I watched the one that you put up, both great sources of information. I called guerini today and the smith and I discussed proper cleaning method and intervals. I shot two rounds of trap tonight. The first 7 shells did not eject. After that is was hit and miss. On the second box of shells it was spitting them all out. 2

Brand of ammo / specific loads can make a difference, particularly very early on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:58 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Life of Riley wrote:
Yes Randy I did a cleaning that mirrored what Andrew did on the fabarm video and also I watched the one that you put up, both great sources of information. I called guerini today and the smith and I discussed proper cleaning method and intervals. I shot two rounds of trap tonight. The first 7 shells did not eject. After that is was hit and miss. On the second box of shells it was spitting them all out. 2

Brand of ammo / specific loads can make a difference, particularly very early on.

I`m inclined to agree. While I`ve certainly not studied it " scientifically ", I have the impression that different guns handle different shell brands and loads differently, as Randy says, particularly early on. While I like my L4S IH very much, and in no way has it exhibited any performance related issues to a degree approaching those of the OP, I have a suspicion that it MAY be more brand/load " finicky" than my V3 walnut, at least at this early stage of its shooting history. I hope to know more after a trip to the dove field next week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:41 am 
Field Grade

I got up to 900 rounds and the gun was still not cycling properly. 100 of them were a heavier 1 1/4oz. field load federal hi bird. The standard 1 1/8oz. 1200fps shells had many problems cycling, the field loads all went through fine. I sent her in last week to ceasar at their request. The smith called me on monday and said that after working on the gun he had fired 100 shells through it from game loads all the way down to 7/8oz. @ 1250fps and the gun cycled completely every shell. It is on its way back and will get here Friday. Very good customer service and quick turnaround. I will definitely be shooting it this weekend and hope all is well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:08 am 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
I got up to 900 rounds and the gun was still not cycling properly. 100 of them were a heavier 1 1/4oz. field load federal hi bird. The standard 1 1/8oz. 1200fps shells had many problems cycling, the field loads all went through fine. I sent her in last week to ceasar at their request. The smith called me on monday and said that after working on the gun he had fired 100 shells through it from game loads all the way down to 7/8oz. @ 1250fps and the gun cycled completely every shell. It is on its way back and will get here Friday. Very good customer service and quick turnaround. I will definitely be shooting it this weekend and hope all is well.

Look for PM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 am 
Field Grade

Did the gunsmith give any indication what the issue was that was addressed? just curious.

I've never had a single issue with any loads through my l4s but planning to head out after some MN pheasants after work starting maybe tomorrow and while daylight savings still allows time after work to hunt, and Iowa coming up soon. Just a good reminder for me to give my shotgun a good going over!

Still contemplating recoil pad replacement and may have an SC100 arriving today in the mail.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:32 am 
Crown Grade

Hope to hear his results soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:15 am 
Field Grade

The elastomeric piston was replaced as the original had a very very slight catch. Also there was some adjustment concerning the bolt height and or timing(not sure what that means). I got the gun back and with a 100 pack of federal heavy target load, there were 4 failures in the first 10 shots. The next 90 shells went through with no issue and cycled as they should. Next time the gun was used upland hunting. I walked into a spot with 6 birds rising in a short interval, the gun was loaded with 3 in the tube and one in the chamber. Three shells fired, a bird dropped, and look down at the gun to see the last shell sitting in an open chamber, bolt had not closed. Shells were high brass BOSS 1 1/4oz. 1350fps field load. After this info was relayed to CG I was told that the gun is functioning normally. The gun has over 1,000 shells through it including many high velocity field loads. I would also mention that when I talked to the gunsmith after the gun was received by Guerini he stated that I had done nothing wrong on my end and all adjustments/fixes were under warranty(which I already knew).