ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CG Summit Recoil Moves Safety Switch?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

Shooting with my brother this weekend. He has a CG Summit Sporting. About 1/2 way around the course when he fired the first barrel, the recoil would move the safety to the "safe" position and then he could not fire the second barrel without first switching the safety back to "fire". It didn't happen every time, but about 1 out of 3 times he fired the gun. It didn't matter whether the top or bottom barrel fired first. Of course this made shooting true pairs nearly impossible, although he did a pretty good job with a quick thumb move that allowed him to still hit a number of targets.

Wondering if there is a quick fix for this, otherwise he is sending it in for repair. Just thought I'd ask if anyone had experienced this problem before? This gun is less than 6 months old with maybe 5000 shells through it at most.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: CG Summit Recoil Moves Safety Switch?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ernest T wrote:
Shooting with my brother this weekend. He has a CG Summit Sporting. About 1/2 way around the course when he fired the first barrel, the recoil would move the safety to the "safe" position and then he could not fire the second barrel without first switching the safety back to "fire". It didn't happen every time, but about 1 out of 3 times he fired the gun. It didn't matter whether the top or bottom barrel fired first. Of course this made shooting true pairs nearly impossible, although he did a pretty good job with a quick thumb move that allowed him to still hit a number of targets.

Wondering if there is a quick fix for this, otherwise he is sending it in for repair. Just thought I'd ask if anyone had experienced this problem before? This gun is less than 6 months old with maybe 5000 shells through it at most.

Thanks!

We had a VERY similar LONG thread about this same subject about a month ago on a Browning Cynergy. After 6 pages of comments with many different theories floated and commented on, the OP finally found out that HE was the culprit by not carefully and fully opening the gun. The gun would fire the first shot, but not the second one. His problem only happened about once or twice per 100 rounds. Since your brother's gun has the problem much more often, it should actually be easier and quicker to find out what is causing it.

I'm not saying this is your brother's problem, but it's amazing how often "shooter error" is to blame for malfunctions.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:24 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the response. We will have to look into the closing the gun as a possible issue, but I shot the gun and got the same result. I guess that it could be possible that something is preventing the gun from closing completely.

I'll let my brother know, and see what he finds out.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After 5,000 rounds, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to remove the buttstock, barrels, and forend and then soak the innards in kerosene or mineral spirits for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the cleaning pan and blow dry or allow to drip dry. Then lubricate all moving parts with Breakfree CLP or equivalent.

This just might cure the problem.

BTW, while you have the stock off, take a look at the moving parts involved with moving the safety switch. You might find something loose or out of place.

Oh, BTW, if this happens again, instead of moving the safety, see if moving the top lever back toward the center (closed) position makes any difference.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:45 am 
Field Grade

Just a followup. My brother and I took a trip to Target Shotguns (https://www.targetshotguns.com/) in Hendersonville, NC on Friday, and my brother took the problematic CG Summit. Stephen at Target Shotguns who acts as a salesman, gun fitter, and gunsmith took a look at the gun and found a faulty safety spring. While we browsed the guns on display, Stephen replaced the spring, saving my brother having to send it back to Maryland for repair.

My brother was so impressed with the service at Target that he bought a new CG Invictus while we were there. Of course we then had to try out his new gun at Cleghorn gun club after we left the store............beautiful sporting clays course! Overall a great day.

I highly recommend both Target Shotguns and Cleghorn gun club.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for reporting back. {hs#