ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the CG Family, question on stock finish.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Guys,
I just purchased a used (2019) Summit Limited. The stock finish has a few places that aren't as glossy as the rest. I tried the BLO application method from the video on the CG website and it didn't change. I then tried putting it on thicker, letting is sit for 30 mins and wiping off. There may have been a slight improvement, but not as expected. What methods do you guys use to touch up the wood finish? Also how do you clean it prior? Do you recommend wax after the finish is touched up?
Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: New to the CG Family, question on stock finish.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to the Forum and CG ownership. For any and all questions regarding your gun, I would recommend that you call CGUSA. A real person will answer the phone and put you in touch with an expert, you will not find better customer service anywhere. Personally, I would wait until it's time for a pit stop and let CG refinish the stock while it's there. Good luck and enjoy your Guerini.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:35 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, their customer service is one of the big reasons I decided on CG. I spoke with them about it and they recommended the oil method that is on the website. I thought I would get some opinions/tips here before I call back and bother them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I understand. There are some very knowledgable members of the forum that I'm sure are qualified to give you advice; you might try posting in the Gunsmithing/Restoration section for more replies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:24 pm 
Field Grade

Use the oil finish depicted in the CG video, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxmpoImHJCA

Be careful with prep and application. Work with very thin coats and be careful about working at the right temperature. Working with oil is little different from applying painted finishes such as varnish.

The uneven finish might be the product of perspiration, sun screen or bug juice. Andrew Wertenberger discusses these points in the video. I see no point in using wax. If you do, you will need to remove the wax before renewing the oil finish. Dewaxing can be challenging.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens