ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I buy this used CG Summit Sporting?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:22 pm 
Utility Grade

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=529282

Thoughts? Here’s some back story...

I’m relatively new to clay shooting. Started shooting some trap a couple years ago with my first gun ever - a Mossberg 500 and quickly fell in love with busting clays. Discovered sporting clays and loved it EVEN MORE (sorry to the trap guys out there, I just love all the different presentations and walking a course, etc.). I even bought a Champion Workhorse thrower with a wobble base to take out and shoot on my own when I don’t feel like paying for a round of sporting clays or trap at a course or range.

With that said, I (stupidly) purchased a Mossberg Silver Reserve II thinking I was getting a “clay gun” for a steal under $1,000 (I didn’t know at the time that all O/U’s are not made equal... far from it) and have had nothing but problems with it, though I’m sure that surprises nobody here.

Anyway, I’ve now done tons of research, talked to a bunch of guys and am looking to spend around $2,000 or a little more to get a reliable gun (preferably used, I love the idea of a gun that’s “broken in” with some character and a story) that of course fits me and I handle well. Tough going out there right now to find a gun shop that has a variety of sporting guns to mount (let alone shoot) back to back for comparison, but I was looking into Beretta 686 or Browning Citori, CX, CXS, Winchester 101, etc. but then I stumbled across the above link in the classifieds. I never thought a Caesar Guerini would be anywhere near my budget, so I’m skeptical. I told the seller I’d need to meet up at a range or sporting clay course to check the fit and feel and shoot it a bit first, so we’ll see what he says.

Also, I read some negative stuff about Summit Sporting LOP being too long the recoil reduction system being a bad thing to add to a gun? I though the adjustable comb was at least a plus... wood looks beautiful (way better than what I expected to be able to get in my price range), though the receiver inside looks to have some wear. Idk how old the gun is since the seller bought it used in 2013. Were older CG’s just as good as they are now?

Any and all input is welcome!

Post subject: Re: Should I buy this used CG Summit Sporting?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:27 pm 
Field Grade

The recoil system pops right out if you don't want/like it. I added one to my CG and do like it... easy enough to sell it here or there.

I'm a fan of their guns, just got two punches with my CG 28 today.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 pm 
Field Grade

I have a CG Summit Sporting and really like the gun. Have over 10,000 rounds with no issues. The original owner has included in the price 3 pit stops where they can send in the gun for cleaning and replacement of wear parts. If the owner has a pit stop left, you could possibly work a deal with him to include him sending in the gun for a pit stop before transferring to you. You can also call CG because I think the second owner may get 1 pit stop. Not certain on that though.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

SMP190 wrote:
I have a CG Summit Sporting and really like the gun. Have over 10,000 rounds with no issues. The original owner has included in the price 3 pit stops where they can send in the gun for cleaning and replacement of wear parts. If the owner has a pit stop left, you could possibly work a deal with him to include him sending in the gun for a pit stop before transferring to you. You can also call CG because I think the second owner may get 1 pit stop. Not certain on that though.

Good luck

In November, I bought a 2012 production Summit sporting 12. Bought it from a member at my home club and I knew the original owner that bought it new, shot it for 3 months and didn't mesh with the gun. It sat in his safe for several years before he sold it and the second owner hardly shot it either because as a small framed guy, decided he preferred a field gun instead and it then went back into the safe until I bought it. Based on what I know, it had been shot less than 2500 rounds.

I was given what I felt was a very fair price on it and didn't hesitate. I needed to send it to Maryland anyway to have the triggers converted to release so I asked if they offered a pit stop to a secondary buyer and what they told me was they would go through it and labor would be covered but any required parts would be my responsibility. When I got the gun back however, they showed on the invoice the labor for the pitstop and there were a few parts listed including some springs but then there were line items crediting all the charges for the pit stop. I was very happy with that and all through the process were great to deal with.

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the great input everyone, but the seller never even got back to me, and I got a great deal on an almost brand new (like 500 rounds, and the guy realized it wasn’t the right fit for him - he switched to a Beretta 686) Browning Citori 725 Sporting 12ga 30” barrels and adjustable comb. Felt AWESOME and fit me just right so I bought it. Sorry if it’s like “blasphemy” to post in the CG lovers forum, but I can’t help it, I just LOVE my new Browning.