ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How would you handle this situation?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I realize this is a different than described situation, but I have observed in a skeet shooting, a shooter with a release trigger in this situation asking the ref. For permission to fire the gun to unload. Never observed the ref. Disallowing it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's something that puzzles me about the situation. With two shooters standing directly behind the shooter(according to the OP) and the OP himself watching every move that the shooter made like a hawk, how come no one said anything to the shooter as he reaches into his pouch/vest and takes out two shells, drops one shell into the open receiver, pushes the bolt release button, takes the second shell and inserts it into the bottom of the receiver, pushes the second shell home, takes his stance, mounts the gun, moves the gun to the hold point for the next pair, and then calls "PULL".

Why the heck didn't someone say something before it got to this point? If I'm standing behind someone and see that they are in the process of reloading for another pair when I know that they've already shot their last pair on the station (and this happens quite often), then I'm going to tap him on the shoulder and say "Hey, Buddy! That's all! Only 3 pair on this station" or words to that effect. Why wait until he goes through all that before telling him that he's through on that station? Even the OP said it was obvious that the shooter didn't hear the scorer due to the wind, distance, and quiet voice of the scorer. So why didn't someone speak up sooner?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

You have an excellent point. Happens all the time. If we’re pulling for each other in practice, the ‘yrapper’ Might just stand there and grin.

That great point doesn’t change what happened though, and it’s still boorish POS behavior, that depending on a few things might have earned a dismissal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, the OP said this was his first registered event so not knowing what folks tend to do, take him out of the equation. And there are any number of reasons no one said something sooner... Maybe the offender was the last shooter at that station and after his last pair the others were heading out to the next station. Maybe he was the first shooter and after his last pair the others were reaching for their guns or their chokes or their water or _____.

Everyone of us has lost count of the pairs we've shot at and yes, most of the time someone catches us and says something before we finish reloading. But I'd wager that everyone of us has also finished loading before it sinks in that we're done. I'll also wager that virtually none of us has ever seen, or done, what happened here.

Not having been there I can't say I definitely think he should have been DQ'd but given what we know, he should have been officially warned and told that he now has two strikes. One more and he's out.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
But to call it a safety violation and suggest that he should be kicked out or banned from ever shooting at that place again is going way overboard, IMO.

I have to agree with Ulysses. What was "unsafe" about his action?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm with Ulysses too. I'm not crazy that the guy didn't specifically look where the muzzle was when he pulled the trigger, and hopefully it is not a common occurrence. Most of us have hunted and possibly been surprised by another guy in the party shooting. Then there are games like Buddy Buddy, Flurry, Annie Oakley where things can get interesting. Also shooting a hat after a guy gets his first 25/25.

And to address the specific question, I would simply pay attention to that guy's actions in general and decide if it is worth mentioning or maybe not shoot with him again if he has too many bad habits.

Last edited by STS hunter on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:31 pm 
Crown Grade

None of those instances, or time honored games and or traditions are the same as the incident the OP described.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
... Maybe the offender was the last shooter at that station and after his last pair the others were heading out to the next station.

When I first started shooting I joined a skeet league to get some practice. One of the regulars told me that as the leadoff man I had to stay for the last man and stand behind him because everyone else had to have someone standing behind them when they shot, so it was fair for the first guy to stand behind the last shooter. This puzzled me, so I asked some other guys I respected and they said it was not a rule, but it was being a good squadmate for safety and such. That made sense to me, and I have incorporated that into my shooting routine for sporting clays.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:09 pm 
Crown Grade

kyskeet wrote:
I realize this is a different than described situation, but I have observed in a skeet shooting, a shooter with a release trigger in this situation asking the ref. For permission to fire the gun to unload. Never observed the ref. Disallowing it.

Yes, most guys who are shooting a release trigger identify that to the ref before the event begins, and some guys I know tell the ref right then.....if they have a "no bird" or something similar, they are going to fire the weapon. So often the ref knows in advance and has already acknowledged it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:14 pm 
Crown Grade

STS hunter wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
When I first started shooting I joined a skeet league to get some practice. One of the regulars told me that as the leadoff man I had to stay for the last man and stand behind him

That is a courtesy not a requirement. Usually it is the #4 shooter that 'backs-up' the tail-gunner.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Any release trigger shooter that does not know how to safety deactivate their gun without firing it has absolutely no business shooting a release trigger.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ShowMe wrote:
STS hunter wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
When I first started shooting I joined a skeet league to get some practice. One of the regulars told me that as the leadoff man I had to stay for the last man and stand behind him

That is a courtesy not a requirement. Usually it is the #4 shooter that 'backs-up' the tail-gunner.

This. Having the lead off shooter do it will waste a ton of time between stations.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:00 am 
Diamond Grade

ShowMe wrote:
STS hunter wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:

Not the end of the world but you buggered up your editing of a double quote. STS hunter is the one who joined a skeet league etc., not me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Being a certified referee for skeet, trap, sporting clays, and FITASC at various times for over 50 years, and that this was a registered shoot and if it happened at my station, I would consider 2 things: (1) did he merely empty his gun by shooting it down range without looking and without temper being involved, or (2) did he, with temper, purposely empty his gun by shooting down range while purposely not looking to see if the range was clear. In the first instance, I would have advised him of the "unsafetyness" of his action (not checking to see if the gun was indeed pointed in a safe direction), and ask him to please do not do that again. In the second instance, having in the past seen a couple bad results of unsafe gun handling as a result of temper, I would have disqualified him and referred him to the jury. I feel that by NOT disqualifying him, there would be no 'lesson-learned', and there would be the possibility of a similar scenario in the future which could have bad results.