ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to NSSA Registered Shoots
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 am 
Utility Grade

Hey everyone, new member on the forum. I am looking for some answers regarding registered shoots as this is my first year i will be participating in them. If there is a thread with all my questions answers please just forward me to that.

1- I currently only shoot 12 and 20 gauge, can I still participate in registered shoots and how do i go about getting on a team that will allow just the 2 gauges?

2- I am a member of the New York Skeet Shooting Assn but as a annual member, they do not send out any form of identification stating that i am a member. Will the NSSA have record showing that i am a member?

3- Do i just show up the day of the shoot and register or do i have to per-register before hand?

Any help/advice that would make getting into registered shoots easier would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: New to NSSA Registered Shoots
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:59 pm 
Crown Grade

dolecs wrote:
Hey everyone, new member on the forum. I am looking for some answers regarding registered shoots as this is my first year i will be participating in them. If there is a thread with all my questions answers please just forward me to that.

1- I currently only shoot 12 and 20 gauge, can I still participate in registered shoots and how do i go about getting on a team that will allow just the 2 gauges? Yes, you can participate in registered shoots. If you know folks that shoot together at registered events and they are not a full 5-person squad, you can ask them if you can shoot with their team at any/all future shoot(s). If you pre-register for a shoot or just show up at a registered shoot and are by yourself, shoot management will squad you on a team; its what they do. :D

2- I am a member of the New York Skeet Shooting Assn but as a annual member, they do not send out any form of identification stating that i am a member. Will the NSSA have record showing that i am a member? NSSA does NOT track State Membership nor do they have any need to do so. It is totally your responsibility to be a member in good standing of your home states Skeet Association.

3- Do i just show up the day of the shoot and register or do i have to per-register before hand? That will depend entirely upon individual clubs requirements. On bigger shoots, it would be wise to per-register. If you don't and just show up, they may, or may not, have an opening for you to shoot. Bigger shoots tend to book fully in advance and have a waiting list for any last minute no-shows. And you should know in advance, that about 99.9% of the clubs throwing registered shoots will give priority to those participants that shoot all four guns. That really only becomes a factor if the shoot fills up with per-registrations by 4-gun shooters. It will not be a first come, first served. That will almost never be a problem at smaller shoots, but you will have to contact the club hosting the shoot on a shoot by shoot basis to know for sure.

Any help/advice that would make getting into registered shoots easier would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help.
Welcome to both the SGW website AND the wonderful world of Registered Skeet. Good luck with both. :D

Retired

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Howdy,

Welcome from one New Yorker to another. Where in New York are you located?

You should have received a New York State NSSA Membership Card. I just pulled mine out of my wallet to check. Nothing fancy. They used to provide a sticker for your National NSSA card. Since the shoot sponsors will have the computer programs running, they should be able to look you up.

You can sign up for a registered shoot and only select the events you want to shoot in. Keep in mind that 4 gun and 5 gun event shooters tend to get first crack at open slots. I would suggest you sign on in advance as most shoots fill up. You may or may not have to pay a deposit in advance, depending on the shoot.

Some clubs will run two gun shoots, which may include the 20 or 12 gauge, so you can sign up for the even you have a gun for. Some will run 5 events with all 4 guns and doubles and you might find some 1 gun.

You only need the New York State NSSA membership for shooting as a New Yorker in a New York shoot. If you say shoot in PA or CT or MA or ME, you will not need a state membership for those shoots.

If this is your first year shooting registered, you could have gotten both the national and state membership for free for one year.

So far this year I plan on shooting the Monroe Gun Club shoots the Peconic Lobster Open and Long Island Championship as well as at least the Zone and State shoots.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the information. I am located in Jamestown NY. I emailed Ian from NYSSA and he stated that they do not issue membership cards for annual members. I did get my first year of NYSSA free but I had to pay $40 to the NSSA. My first planned shoot is the spring gobbler at big tree so I will make sure I pre register if it helps to get me on a squad. Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Must have changed this year regarding the state card as I still have one 2018 one in my wallet next to my NSSA Card. Hope to meet you are one of the registered shoots this year.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:33 am 
Crown Grade

Dolecs,

welcome to registered skeet shooting, I am sure you will have fun. Let the people on your squad know it is your first shoot, and they will steer you right.

Once people learn you are only shooting 12 and 20 because that's the guns you have, don't be surprised if people offer to loan you a gun for the smaller gauges if you want.

One of the greatest joys in Skeet is being a new shooter, and working your way up through the classes....and winning in the classes as you move out of them!

Good Luck!!