ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No hardcopy of 2019 NSSA Rulebook
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:45 am 
Crown Grade

There is no hardcopy available of the 2019 NSSA Rulebook.

NSSA advises you go to their website, download a copy, and print it (66 pages).

That's wishful thinking.

I doubt many members, shooters, referees, and even chief referees will do that.

Post subject: Re: No hardcopy of 2019 NSSA Rulebook
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:28 pm 
Crown Grade

This will be the downfall of skeet for sure. How will we shoot without a hard copy of the rule book present?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Don’t rember the last time I looked at a hard copy. I carry an electronic (IPhone) copy in my pocket that is searchable for topic, too easy and always latest rev.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

It was nice to get an, updated, rule book each year. It was nice to get "Skeet Shooting Review" each month. It was nice to get a Records Annual each year.

Oh, By the way, all were free with basic membership.

Inflation must have hit San Antonio very hard.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:15 pm 
Crown Grade

So we now have self-scoring squads being scored by those who have never seen a Rulebook.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm 
Crown Grade

kyskeet wrote:
Don’t rember the last time I looked at a hard copy. I carry an electronic (IPhone) copy in my pocket that is searchable for topic, too easy and always latest rev.

There seems to be a lot of that sort of thinking at NSSA, e.g. I don't need it, therefore nobody else needs it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

ShowMe wrote:
So we now have self-scoring squads being scored by those who have never seen a Rulebook.

I don't follow your logic.
If anything, digital rule books are easier to have with you at all times, view, and search.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ssanders224 wrote:
ShowMe wrote:

I don't follow your logic.
If anything, digital rule books are easier to have with you at all times, view, and search.

Agreed for the most part, but there are a couple of problems with that assumption:

1) There are a lot of people over 50 that can barely use their phones for calls. Even more over 60. That's a pretty popular age range in this game. In 10-20 years, that age range will have grown up with the technology - it will be less of an issue.

2) If it were an app, it would be better. There are even more people out there who would have no idea how to download a PDF, save it, and reference it at a later date. You can always hit it with a browser... unless there's poor coverage, in which case you're screwed. WiFi is still not what I would consider "pervasive" at clubs in my area.

3) That's mighty small text (granted, the printed version isn't much better...)

4) Printing it would suck unless you had a good enough printer to print double sided or were smart enough to figure it out with a cheaper printer.

I'm all about saving trees and not wasting paper, but if you're going to do it you have to account for all contingencies. The more I think about it, the more noise I need to make regarding WiFi access at the club in all locations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

wasthestumper wrote:

Agreed for the most part, but there are a couple of problems with that assumption:

1) There are a lot of people over 50 that can barely use their phones for calls. Even more over 60. That's a pretty popular age range in this game. In 10-20 years, that age range will have grown up with the technology - it will be less of an issue.

I wouldn't say a LOT. I shoot with plenty of people in that age range that use their smart phones very well. It's very common to watch people in that age pulling up their averages on their phones while registering for events, checking electronic scores on their phones, participating on FB on their phones, and lord knows checking the weather on their phones ;), etc... I wouldn't be so quick to sell them short.

wasthestumper wrote:
2) If it were an app, it would be better.

There's no doubt an app would be more convenient. IF it is a well developed app. There are plenty of "simple" apps out there that are poorly developed, and have plenty of bugs.

wasthestumper wrote:

3) That's mighty small text (granted, the printed version isn't much better...)

"Zooming" on a mobile device is simple..... Not so easy on paper, lol.

Other shooting disciplines have already made swap to digital rule books. It works fine. 6 months from now the hype will die down, and no one will care, or notice any difference in the sport.

I'll also add, digital rule books can be conveniently added to scoring tablets, should the sport ever make that giant leap forward. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

It would be interesting to see what everyone's experience was the last time they needed to break out a rule book.

I'll go first......

Earlier this year, we had a guy show up to shoot, and we didn't have a squad for hi to shoot on. He agreed to shoot by himself, and we looked up if we were aloud to have a pacer shoot with him. I knew the answer was yes, but the shoot manager just wanted to double check. He was recalling where it says no, and that is in a shootoff situation where the shooter remains the last shooter on his field, he must continue by himself to finish. This is in the case where multiple fields are used to start an event championship shootoff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Earlier this season, the squad in front of us was finishing up and we were to take the field next. In the last box they got around to Station 6; shooter shot his High 6 Single, lined up for his Low 6 Single, called for it and by error the referee threw a Double. Shooter missed the Low target, didn’t attempt the High. He stopped, stepped off the pad and a discussion occurred.

One of his squad mates began making the argument that per the rule book, because the referee pulled a Double in error, that the missed Low house target was an ‘Irregular Target’. The referee was dumbfounded. He acknowledged he had in fact thrown the Double in error, and this other guy was adamant about the rule. The guy who missed, didn’t believe that was the rule. Finally he ended up saying, ‘Listen, I missed! The miss had nothing to do with that second target, I didn’t even know it was in the air until after I already shot and missed the Low. Even if that is the rule, I don’t want it. Score it lost.’

You would have thought that was the end of it, right? Shooter steps back onto the pad, lines up for Low 6, calls for it and the Referee does it again; pushes the Doubles button. Shooter hit the Low this time and again made no attempt the High. He stopped, stepped off the pad and another discussion occurred. ‘Did I just balk, or was that supposed to be the Option?’ ‘Oh, you are right, it was the Option. Now, shoot your Double.’ You could pretty much guess what happened from there, the shooter missed the first target of his Station 6 Double!

Eight minutes later, while my squad was taking to the field, there they all were on their telephones logging in to check the wording of the actual rule. Seems as if they were wondering if they couldn’t possibly protest. ‘See, right there “Irregular Target” includes throwing Doubles in error when it should have been a Single. And it says, if the shooter breaks it or misses it. And, it says it is the shooter’s prerogative to elect what he wants!’

The referee was going to take them back to Station 6 to have that shooter repeat the whole sequence. That is when I stepped in and using that guys phone pointed out to them, ‘The rule says that it is the shooters prerogative to elect to shoot at the target or withhold his shot on the target. However, if you do shoot at the target, which you did, it shall be scored as a single! You were right over there on Station 6 when you wanted it scored lost; you had the scoring correct, it was lost. Unfortunately, twice.’

Having it electronically is very nice. I would still like to have a paper copy though. I'd even pay two or three bucks for it, but no more than that.