ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: D class punches in first 300 targets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just looked at my account on NSCA and see that I've been moved to C class.

Happy to be there as I suspect I can do better than in D BUT my question is about HOW I got there. I only have 4 punches so far and the 12ga punches happened AFTER my first 300. I did get a punch for a 28ga event in the first 300. Does that bump me?

Again, happy to be in C but trying to understand how it works.

Post subject: Re: D class punches in first 300 targets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

All punches earned count towards moving up

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gotcha thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are a first time member of NSCA, the following applies, page 17: b. Non-Classified and New Members
1) A shooter who has never shot any registered clay
targets will be assigned Class "D."
i. During the first 300 targets shot in 12 gauge
events, if the shooter earns a punch in “D” Class,
he/she will be moved to “C” Class.
ii. After the first 600 targets shot in 12 gauge events
with no punches, a Classification Review will be
performed on the shooter. The rules governing
“Moving up in Class”, “Reclassification/Known
Ability” and “Classification Reviews” will apply.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

yes, I saw that but wasn't clear if the punch had to be earned in 12ga. apparently the answer is 'nope'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:15 pm 
Crown Grade

The way I read the rule is they have to be earned in 12 gauge. I suggest you call Glynne Moseley at NSCA for clarification.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As quoted above, the applicable rule is: "During the first 300 targets shot in 12 gauge
events,
if the shooter earns a punch in “D” Class,
he/she will be moved to “C” Class."

So, hypothetically if you shot a couple hundred targets in sub gauge events and got a punch, that doesn't automatically move you up to C class, NOR does it count toward your first 300 targets shot in 12 gauge events (because it wasn't a 12 gauge event). If you subsequently got a punch in your first 300 targets in 12 gauge events, then you'll automatically be moved up to C class.

The rule seems pretty clear to me. What part is confusing to you?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:37 am 
Diamond Grade

The confusion is I did not get a punch in my first 300 12ga targets. Got some in the first 600. I did win a class of 2 people on a 5 stand in the first 300 but no punches are awarded for that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

PM sent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdhunter39 wrote:
The confusion is I did not get a punch in my first 300 12ga targets. Got some in the first 600. I did win a class of 2 people on a 5 stand in the first 300 but no punches are awarded for that.

Then it appears that you do NOT qualify for moving up to C class unless for some reason NSCA thinks that you should be moved up for Known Ability (which is somewhat of a judgement call). I would suggest (as some others have suggested) that you call NSCA and ask them. Let us know what they say.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:37 am 
Diamond Grade

Well Albany just looked at my info and says my last tourney (where I did get second in D class and would've won C and B) shows me as entered in C. I most definitely signed up as D and was paid the winnings shown for 2nd place in D. The tourney prior I shot what was probably my worst score EVER.

Strangely two people asked me what class I was in at the shoot in question. I thought it an odd question as these weren't people I'd ever met before.

I don't mind C class at all but am just a little put off by something like this happening essentially behind my back. If you're man enough to tell NSCA or the club that I should be up a class then be man enough to tell me the same when you ask what class I'm in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdhunter39 wrote:
Well Albany just looked at my info and says my last tourney (where I did get second in D class and would've won C and B) shows me as entered in C. I most definitely signed up as D and was paid the winnings shown for 2nd place in D. The tourney prior I shot what was probably my worst score EVER.

Strangely two people asked me what class I was in at the shoot in question. I thought it an odd question as these weren't people I'd ever met before.

I don't mind C class at all but am just a little put off by something like this happening essentially behind my back. If you're man enough to tell NSCA or the club that I should be up a class then be man enough to tell me the same when you ask what class I'm in.

It sounds like NSCA owes you an explanation of what happened, not that they necessarily made a mistake, but an explanation of what's going on and WHY. It's not really clear just when your class was changed since you're sure you signed up in D class, but the records apparently show you in C class for that tournament.

I wouldn't be upset at someone asking what class you're in. That could be meant as a compliment. Nor does it really matter, IMO, if someone asks NSCA to take a look at your classification versus your ability as evidenced by your scores.

My guess is that someone inquired about your class after you took second place with such a good score, and then NSCA went back and retroactively changed your class to C in their records even though it didn't change the classifications and payouts of the tournament. I still think you should call NSCA and ask them for an explanation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks again. Albany laid it out for me pretty clearly and it all makes sense. As you guys have suggested I got bumped at the last shoot for an unknown reason and while I'd like to have been told about it I certainly don't mind that it was done.

I definitely had a sense of pride when a stranger asked me what class I was in. A very nice compliment indeed! Even told my wife about it afterwards. The prior tourney I shot so poorly I expected to get a letter from NSCA telling me I should try golf so it was great to have a good day out there.

Edit:

Thanks again to all who helped. I think my favorite thing about NSCA shoots is the people you get to meet and shoot with. Lots of fun seeing the different guns, crazy golf carts and watching the truly talented shoot. I've shot with folks I ran into on the course in the past few shoots and had a great time with them. Contrary to what the non shooting public might expect there is a lot of diversity in sporting clays and it really is a fun thing to be a part of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hey, Congrats on the move up !