ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New NSSA Classification Rule
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

NSSA recently implemented rule changes, one related to reclassification throughout the tournament year. Previously we could move up in class multiple times, but down only once during the year. With one basic exception, we are now permitted unlimited upward and downward movements.

Below is a quote from the 2019 rule book. There is more to ‘Section C’, but this is the portion related to voluntarily refusing a downward movement. The 2020 rulebook is not yet published, but it is my understanding that this portion and the wording has not altered, so it will be the same.

Rule V-A-11-C

”Downward reclassification may be declined by entering the higher class on the classification card in the blank for assigned class after reclassification. This will preclude later downward reclassification after another event for the remainder of the shooting year, since this is the equivalent of declaring upward.”

In practice, we don’t really even have to have it wrong on our classification card. At tournament registration, we write our information onto the registration application form and then take it to the nice folks behind the computer; we don’t actually show them our card. After they enter us into the events they always say ‘check your receipt’ before we pay. If we shoot in the wrong class at a tournament, that is upon us; this would include not shooting in a lower class if permitted. Doing so may/will ‘preclude later downward reclassification’ for the remainder of the year, thus nullify the new rule change.

Post subject: Re: New NSSA Classification Rule
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:23 am 
Crown Grade

Cobra,

Under the new rules, Shooting in the wrong, higher class, would not preclude you from shooting in a lower class at a later shoot, that’s one of the purposes for the new rule.

You can go up and down all year long, according to your average, even if you do class up, or make a mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:51 am 
Presentation Grade

I have not seen a new rulebook out yet, but on the website, when you look up averages and class, that ‘Self-Declared’ stuff is still active; is that just totally inapplicable now? Is there absolutely nowhere within the rulebook that discusses Self-Declaring into a higher class and the potential implications of doing so anymore?

If it’s not there then I guess its not there. Folks could theortically shoot in say B-Class in their first tournament, then declare into AAA, then back to B-Class in the next, then potentially C-Class if averages would allow, then declare to AAA again, then back to C… maybe try A-Class a few times, then ...

These new rules just don't seem all that well put together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I need to read up on it. I assumed if you 'declared up' you stay there.

We had 2 cases of the target collison rule this weekend. Two shooters reshot the pair and broke both on the reshoot. One ended up in a shootoff for high gun in doubles, which he won.

I have to say I don't like the new rule. I preferred the old rules - shooters fault, reshoot the pair. Fields fault: first bird established, proof doubles for the second bird.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm 
Limited Edition

What new collision rule? (I just spent time looking at the 2020 rule book and didn't notice anything changed)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Never mind... I think I remembered it... Basically proof doubles nothing established if the shooter fired at the first target and then they collided without the first one clearly being broken by the shooter?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:50 pm 
Limited Edition

So you're saying there were two instances where you thought the person clearly missed the first of the double but they collided?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:30 pm 
Crown Grade

2 different shooters on 2 different squads, missed first bird of the pair and the targets collided.

Re-shoot the pair. Nothing established.

It's bullsh*t.

One of Many

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:44 am 
Limited Edition

John H wrote:
2 different shooters on 2 different squads, missed first bird of the pair and the targets collided.

It's bullsh*t.

Agree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:18 am 
Limited Edition

John H wrote:

It's bullsh*t.

Are you referring to report pairs?

If so, what rule book page number is this on?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 am 
Crown Grade

Notch15 wrote:
John H wrote:

It's bullsh*t.

Are you referring to report pairs?

If so, what rule book page number is this on?

No report pairs in registered skeet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:23 am 
Limited Edition

mwr01 wrote:
No report pairs in registered skeet.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

In the new rule book I searched for any discussion of ‘Self Declaring Up and the resulting loss of the opportunity for any further Downward Reclassification the rest of the year’. That language was in last year’s book as a portion of Rule V-A-11-C. It has definitely been removed this year! Free movement is allowed week to week; self-declare to AAA if one would like and then declare right back to the lower class.

The only place I find it within the current rule book is within the section for ‘New Shooters’. So congratulations to you new shooters! We’ve exempted ourselves as existing classified shooters from the self-declare rule, but you still lose your opportunity for future downward reclassification!

I'd previously said that these new rules do not seem all that well put together. Am I wrong in that? It seems as if the Rules Committee puts these things out with a hard sell, like it was some kind of a huge improvement, a necessity to get it passed, and then forced a quick vote before anyone took notice. ‘We’ve got to pass the bill to determine what is in it!’

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Cobra,
That verbiage was missed under the "new shooter" section. I believe the Rules Committee intended to have the same "declared up" rule for both new and classified shooters. The Rules Committee sent the correct wording to headquarters, somewhere along the way it was not deleted from the rule book as intended.