ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your e-mail address...I didn't know
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I received a shoot notice from a club in a totally different region from the one I live in. Curious about how the club got my e-mail address, I ask. The reply was that the club got my address from the NSCA.

Does this bother anyone?

I've e-mailed the NSCA and ask them if they sell or just give member information out. Waiting for a reply.

In the meantime I wondered if I've missed something? Do y'all know of any information with regard to member information...specifically e-mail addresses, that says the NSCA is gonna give that out? Did I missed it? I know that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but I usually pay attention to that sort of stuff since I spent a career in cyber security.

Post subject: Re: Your e-mail address...I didn't know
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:36 pm 

Also, If you have shot a tournament where one of the big scoring apps was used, they will send out shoot notifications.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't believe that NSCA/NSSA is selling our information to marketing firms that advertise fake Rolex watches or anything like that. However, if there is a tournament whose management seeks to notify existing members, our information would be provided for the exclusive marketing of that tournament.

It is my understanding that we all agreed to that when we provided the Association our email address and checked some radiobox that basically said 'I Agree ....' with a bunch of fine print that followed. If someone were to have a change of heart and decide that they do not want that information released to membership clubs, I believe headquarters will flag it in such a way that it would not be distributed. You just need to contact them back there in San Antonio and let them know. Brett Moyes NSCA Director will certainly provide you with much better detail than what I'm capable of.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:06 pm 
Limited Edition

When I was elected a state rep to the board of directors I requested a Email list of NSSA shooters in my state. Was provided with one after signing a document ensuring I would only use them for NSSA related purposes and NOT provide them to anyone else. I basically used them forward communications to me from NSSA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't know what I am talking about, BUT it is possible that the underlying affiliation between the clubs and the NSCA/NSSA entitles the club to the umbrella organizations' email lists. Just hypothesizing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:39 am 
Limited Edition

charlie.the.tuna wrote:
I received a shoot notice from a club in a totally different region from the one I live in. Curious about how the club got my e-mail address, I ask. The reply was that the club got my address from the NSCA.

Does this bother anyone?

I've e-mailed the NSCA and ask them if they sell or just give member information out. Waiting for a reply.

In the meantime I wondered if I've missed something? Do y'all know of any information with regard to member information...specifically e-mail addresses, that says the NSCA is gonna give that out? Did I missed it? I know that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but I usually pay attention to that sort of stuff since I spent a career in cyber security.

In my experience, NSCA will provide member emails to pretty much any club or affiliate who asks. The problem is, once the club has the list, they can essentially do whatever they want with it. I know NSCA asks people to sign something now that says how they can use the list, but that was not always the case. Plus, there is no practical way for the NSCA to enforce such a contract, since it'd be nearly impossible to prove a particular club or person "leaked" the list.

I've changed my email address that I give to the NSCA twice, and both times it took about 6 months for the spam to catch up. I provided a unique email that's not used anywhere else, so I'm pretty confident someone with access to the NSCA list is re-sharing it. It's primarily sporting and hunting, things like dove hunts in South America, sporting email newsletters, etc. They probably think they're doing members a "service", but I for one don't want more spam.

I've asked to be able to opt out of having my email address shared outside of NSCA, but the practical matter is that they've already given it out, and there's no way to take it back. And that stinks, because there's really no option for voting and communication with NSCA other than email. So my solution is to just give them a throwaway email and report all the spam that gets sent to it to the sender's ISP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 am 
Crown Grade

Rather than trying hard to keep my e-mail address off of a list, I just hit unsubscribe at the bottom of the e-mail when I receive an unwanted one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:50 am 
Limited Edition

albanygun wrote:
Rather than trying hard to keep my e-mail address off of a list, I just hit unsubscribe at the bottom of the e-mail when I receive an unwanted one.

Lots of email doesn't come with an "unsubscribe" link, or the unsubscribe link is a trap designed to get you to confirm there is a live human reading the email address in question.

People buy and sell email address lists all the time. If there is an unsubscribe link (about half the email I get to my NSCA address doesn't have one) it might stop the current mail, but It doesn't get you removed from the sender's master list. The next time they sell it, or create a new mailing list, your email address will be back on and you'll have to unsubscribe again. I don't have or want to spend the time to keep reading all this junk and figuring out how to unsubscribe. I would prefer the NSCA and it's affiliates respect my time and just use my email for communications relevant to the association.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

If they make money off my email address, I am fine with that. It is easy to delete what you do not want to follow up on. I appreciate being made aware of a shoot near me, or not so near.