ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Now in a Clay Shooting Club
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I applied earlier in the month and was accepted at a local (25 miles away) gun club that has sporting, 5 stand, skeet and trap. I paid my dues and initiation fee and I am going tomorrow for my orientation with a range officer. I have hunted with with shotguns since I was 7 (65 now) and shot about 10 rounds of skeet and trap for fun and warmup to dove and quail seasons while in high school and college. I have shot sporting clays 8 times since 2012 in GA and SC. Each time I liked it even more. I am fully retired now and have pulled the trigger (so to speak). I had joined NSCA in 2018, but never got to a shoot. I didn't do anything in 2019, but shoot on the farm with friends. I am looking forward to practicing and hopefully will get in a registered shoot by summer (Backwoods maybe). My new club is having a couple charity shoots this Spring, but I think they only have skeet and trap registered shoots. I'll know more after tomorrow. When I get my feet up under me, I hope to go to a registered shoot that is decent size.

Tally ho!

JB

Post subject: Re: Now in a Clay Shooting Club
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Good for you! Be safe, shoot well, and have fun!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Oneounceload. I will try Fitasc after I get my confidence established in Sporting. I want to try Super Sporting and Fitasc. I hunted doves, quail, and ducks every week of their seasons (there were three farms in the family while I was growing up) so I saw some crazy shots in the field. I can relate to a lot of what I have seen on the courses and in videos. Woodcock hunting matches some of the stranger shots.

I am looking forward to doing as much as the budget allows.

JB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Update. I finally got orientation, safety, and training on the clay machines completed. Went at mid-day and walked the sporting course. Broke 43 of 57 shooting the A stands (easier). I know that is nothing to most of you folks, but I felt good. I have hunted since age 7 so I am used to shooting. It took a little time to get used to the "solo" control delay on the throwers. I think I am going to like this a lot better than golf!!!

JB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Take-5-JB wrote:
Thanks Oneounceload. I will try Fitasc after I get my confidence established in Sporting. I want to try Super Sporting and Fitasc. I hunted doves, quail, and ducks every week of their seasons (there were three farms in the family while I was growing up) so I saw some crazy shots in the field. I can relate to a lot of what I have seen on the courses and in videos. Woodcock hunting matches some of the stranger shots.

I am looking forward to doing as much as the budget allows.

JB

If you like challenging targets (as opposed to charity powder puff stuff), then you will love Super Sporting and FITASC. If you do not have good low mount procedure and form, then I would suggest starting with Super Sporting because you can still free-mount as opposed to FITASC's mandatory low mount.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:07 am 
Tournament Grade

Oneounceload,

I shot about 2/3 time from low mount, premounted the low, close ones. I will practice for a while and try to low mount a good bit along the way. Got a lot of work to do.

Thanks for your advice.

JB