ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NSCA class question?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 am 
Field Grade

Okay so I just joined the NSCA and of course being a new member with no registered targets the rules say you must start off in D class for the first 300 registered. I've shot alot in the past 5-6 months and shoot a average of mid 80's into the low 90's on different courses. Do they frown upon that being in D class? Or is that just how it works until you get brought into higher classes. I get the working your way up but I dont want to feel like I'm sandbagging either.

Post subject: Re: NSCA class question?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:00 am 
Field Grade

I also just joined and wondered the same.

Also, does anyone know how long it normally takes to get your card/packet to start shooting registered events? Do they email or snail mail it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

If you feel you should be in a higher class, you can always declare up. However, I suggest you shoot a few registered events to see how you do. Registered event targets are usually a little stiffer than day to day course settings.
The first 300 in D class no longer applies. You could punch up after the first event you participated in if you earned enough punches.
I don't know how NSCA is sending out the card/packets these days. You can shoot registered targets immediately by using "new member" as your NSCA member or going to the NSCA site and looking for your member number there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:42 am 
Field Grade

As long as you have an NSCA number you can start shooting registered right away. NSCA doesn't send cards anymore...you can print it from the NSCA website. I've never needed a card, but I have my number memorized.

Regarding starting class, you can declare up into any class except Master class. If you don't want to spend your time working up, I'd declare an up-class into B or A-class and take it from there.

If you want to let it ride and work your way up, if you win a punch within your first (300) targets, they'll automatically bump you up to C-class. If you're shooting mid 80's to low 90's, it won't be long until you find yourself in B-class.

Forgive my next comment as I don't know anything about your shooting history and ability, but remember that the typical registered event is a bit stiffer than your typical charity or corporate shoot. A 90 on a corporate course might be a 65 on a registered course.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

You will not be moved to C class if you earn a punch in the first 300 targets. See Rule Change Effective in January:
Effective January 1, 2020, the following text will be removed from rule V-A-1-b-1-i on page 17 of the NSCA Rule Book:
i. During the first 300 targets shot in 12 gauge events, if the shooter earns a punch in “D” Class, he/she will be moved to “C” Class.
Because of the number of variables involved, our database cannot support it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

If you have paid your dues, you are a NSCA member. If your number isn't posted on the website yet, call; they will tell you what your number is. I would recommend shooting your first registered event or two in "D" to test the water. If you are misplaced, you can declare accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info for me! I emailed this morning and had my member number in a few minutes!

Away from my thread hijack ( sorry it looked like a great spot), I would recommend shooting D class too and go from there. I can shoot mid 80s and as high as 95 on 2 different courses near me that have charitable shoots and for newbies. I practice at 1 other place the day after the registered shoot is over on the same targets and go 70 to 80 usually....sometimes a 65ish.

Last edited by komatsu on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Plenty of people in D class can shoot mid to high 80s at their local course on non registered targets. Fear not, you won't be sandbagging.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:49 pm 
Crown Grade

My situation is just the opposite. As an NSSA Life Member I can shoot NSCA events via Cross-Fire.

Alas, NSCA rules say that since I was at one time a AAA skeet shooter, I must start in AA. No thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

After 300 registered targets, you can ask NSCA for a review. 300 targets will give you an idea of what class you belong in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
My situation is just the opposite. As an NSSA Life Member I can shoot NSCA events via Cross-Fire.

Alas, NSCA rules say that since I was at one time a AAA skeet shooter, I must start in AA. No thanks.

Why would that matter? The targets are the same for everyone.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:52 pm 
Field Grade

LitzerSki wrote:
As long as you have an NSCA number you can start shooting registered right away. NSCA doesn't send cards anymore...you can print it from the NSCA website. I've never needed a card, but I have my number memorized.

Regarding starting class, you can declare up into any class except Master class. If you don't want to spend your time working up, I'd declare an up-class into B or A-class and take it from there.

If you want to let it ride and work your way up, if you win a punch within your first (300) targets, they'll automatically bump you up to C-class. If you're shooting mid 80's to low 90's, it won't be long until you find yourself in B-class.

Forgive my next comment as I don't know anything about your shooting history and ability, but remember that the typical registered event is a bit stiffer than your typical charity or corporate shoot. A 90 on a corporate course might be a 65 on a registered course.

Okay good to know. And idk the 2 main courses we shoot try to test your skills pretty good. We actually shot one day they held a nsca shoot on the other course and we watched them shoot the first 2-3 stations and it looked the same. They set them up a little closer and they were quick but not that bad.
With all that said I'll shoot my first 300 and then call to see about getting bumped up a few. Thank you for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

See the rule book, you can bump yourself up. Once you bump up, you cannot go down the rest of the year unless NSCA allows it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
ShowMe wrote:

If is doesn't matter, why bother with the hassle and expense of registered targets? Non-registered targets are the same, cheaper, and available with less hassle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
ShowMe wrote:

If is doesn't matter, why bother with the hassle and expense of registered targets? Non-registered targets are the same, cheaper, and available with less hassle.

No, they aren't. Tournament targets are set harder for more of a challenge. Most clubs also do not offer FITASC and Super Sporting except during tournaments. Unlike ATA trap and US skeet, sporting is not about perfection, but just trying to do your best against a setter who will do everything he can to try and trick you; makes it part of the fun for me.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Luckily, we leave our registered super Sporting targets up for 1 week to a month. I don't get mad if they leave em up, setting 80 plus traps is a lot of work! I wish we had more space, we probably have 10-20 traps in reserve. All Promatics as far I've seen. :mrgreen:

When I would get bored there, another club has 3 traps super sporting just down the road, maybe 10 miles away. There is no FITASC, anywhere, ever, in my neck of the woods. There are some permanent parcours in Central, OH, but that is a hike. Me and my buddy (FITASC ref for NE, SE Regional among others) go practice there sometime. :mrgreen:

It still isn't the same as competition but I have saved a ton of money thanks to your advice. 50% off is heck of a coupon! I will thank you again! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

ShowMe wrote:

I believe that is only true if you were AAA last year or are AAA in the current year. I believe it is one class lower than your highest most current classification in skeet that is used.

TSSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited
Trout Unlimited

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:53 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
Luckily, we leave our registered super Sporting targets up for 1 week to a month. I don't get mad if they leave em up, setting 80 plus traps is a lot of work! I wish we had more space, we probably have 10-20 traps in reserve. All Promatics as far I've seen. :mrgreen:

When I would get bored there, another club has 3 traps super sporting just down the road, maybe 10 miles away. There is no FITASC, anywhere, ever, in my neck of the woods. There are some permanent parcours in Central, OH, but that is a hike. Me and my buddy (FITASC ref for NE, SE Regional among others) go practice there sometime. :mrgreen:

It still isn't the same as competition but I have saved a ton of money thanks to your advice. 50% off is heck of a coupon! I will thank you again! :mrgreen:

You could get close to a taste of FITASC by shooting your Super Sporting using a FITASC low mount; might nit be totally the same, but pretty close...... {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Hawkey55, the rule doesn't give you the latitude of this year or last year's classification. Here is what it says: 2) A first-time NSCA member who has shot registered targets with any clay target organization other than a Sporting Clays Association (i.e. NSSA, ATA, NRA, International skeet or trap) and has been classified in "A," "AA" or "AAA" class will be assigned a NSCA class that is one class lower than his/her highest class attained in that clay target association. After 300 targets have been shot and input into the NSCA database, the shooter can request a class review for down-classing purposes. If the first-time member
has not shot a sufficient number of targets in any other clay target association to be assigned a class, or if their class is "B" or below, they will be placed
in NSCA "D" class. End of rule.
Another weird rule is that NSSA members can shoot NSCA tournaments without registering their targets (Hunter Class) while NSCA members must register their targets in a NSSA tournament. Of course, I don't think NSSA has a Hunter class either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
blackandgold wrote:

You could get close to a taste of FITASC by shooting your Super Sporting using a FITASC low mount; might nit be totally the same, but pretty close...... {hs#

I do exactly what you suggest. I shoot everything with a FITASC-esque mount. Gun up now feels like cheating and not as fun *to me*. I shoot IM and XF to make the presentations as hard as possible. I don't like high scores. :mrgreen: that's just me though.

You give great advice about saving money in practice. {hs#