ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Promoting safety
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

Wouldn’t it be nice if the NSSA/NSCA provided member clubs with gun safety and etiquette posters and require its member clubs to display them.

It seems I am seeing more violations than ever: guns being carried with actions closed, guns being loaded before over the stand railing, o/u being carried barrels facing backwards, atv’s/utv’s with gun racks running parallel to the ground, loading of more than 2 shells.

Pointing out proper etiquette more often than not gets a pretty sour reception because many of the violators consider themselves firearm knowledgeable despite not knowing the etiquette of our sport. Having the proper safety and etiquette protocols posted should help reduce the violations and would make it a lot easier to address the violators by pointing out it is the club and sports rules.

I am still amazed at the number of seasoned clay shooters who carry their o/u’s over their shoulders barrels pointed backwards!

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All guns choked Magic

Last edited by Hwcn on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Promoting safety
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

IIRC, the NSCA has some they will sell the clubs; that said EVERY club I know open to the lublic has huge signs near their clubhouse with their safety rules

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:10 pm 
Limited Edition

It’s Our job to promote safe firearm handling. If you see call it out, I don’t really care how sour the reception is, it beat a ND or worse. If you get a sour response then point it out to the club mgt. you don’t have to be that RO that does it in a in your face manner. Point out the infraction in a kind but business like manner. That covers the safety issue, I’m not sure what etiquette issues your seeing but I’m sure it be same procedure would apply

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:24 pm 
Field Grade

kyskeet wrote:
It’s Our job to promote safe firearm handling. If you see call it out, I don’t really care how sour the reception is, it beat a ND or worse. If you get a sour response then point it out to the club mgt. you don’t have to be that RO that does it in a in your face manner. Point out the infraction in a kind but business like manner. That covers the safety issue, I’m not sure what etiquette issues your seeing but I’m sure it be same procedure would apply

I agree and trust me, I have gotten a lot of glares. But some support from our governing organizations would be nice. There are too many individuals that won’t rock the boat and call out etiquette and safety violations. I know, I am always the “bad” guy.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All guns choked Magic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:13 pm 
Field Grade

The primary responsibility for safety lies with clubs and members, not NSSA.

We must be vigilant and speak up when we see ANY safety violation, and experienced shooters should take the opportunity to familiarize new registered shooters regarding etiquette.

I don't think posters from NSSA will help, and they certainly won't absolve clubs and competitive shooters of any of these responsibilities.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Safety and etiquette, on most occasions, go hand in hand. Although I have retired from shooting registered targets, I continue to referee 10 or so registered events per year. I have heard folks say "The skeet culture has changed". That is an understatement. Seems that, over half, of the new shooters refuse to accept correction concerning basic rules of the game, safety rules and plain old manners. They leave and never come back.

It also appears that it is left up to the referee to correct violations. It appears that the regular shooters don't help with pointing out violations. When asked why they don't point out violations the most used responses are "It's not my job" or "I don't want anyone getting mad at me".

This is unfortunate as skeet was, at one time, a game for honorable people. Not so much anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

oldskeetshooter wrote:
Safety and etiquette, on most occasions, go hand in hand. Although I have retired from shooting registered targets, I continue to referee 10 or so registered events per year. I have heard folks say "The skeet culture has changed". That is an understatement. Seems that, over half, of the new shooters refuse to accept correction concerning basic rules of the game, safety rules and plain old manners. They leave and never come back.

It also appears that it is left up to the referee to correct violations. It appears that the regular shooters don't help with pointing out violations. When asked why they don't point out violations the most used responses are "It's not my job" or "I don't want anyone getting mad at me".

This is unfortunate as skeet was, at one time, a game for honorable people. Not so much anymore.
I agree with everything you just wrote. And my answer to the highlighted quote would be this: Promoting safety is EVERYBODIES job!

Retired