ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CG Ascent for sporting clays
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:04 am 
Field Grade

Looking at getting a new shotgun. I've shot shotguns on and off for 15 years hunting and backyard clays. Recently, I've discovered the fun of sporting clays! However, Having a sore cheek, jaw bone, and sometimes teeth after a case or 2 of shells takes the fun out of it! Im currently shooting a 686 sporting Beretta. I really like the gun. I think my issue is Im having to lean my head forward to get on the gun. I dont believe it is a cast issue, although it could be a very small part of it I guess. Ive experienced very painful cheek slap before with other guns, but my 686 doesn't do that. 1 oz loads does help some over 1 1/8, but it doesn't cure it. Im only shooting 1200fps loads too. I may be unconsciously putting too much cheek pressure on the gun at times...I've played with this some but haven't came to a conclusion yet.

So exploring my options for a fix. The best I can tell from reading is my 686 probably doesn't exactly fit me. A custom stock for the 686 isn't out of the question, but Im not sure spending that much money on an entry model gun makes financial sense.

Another option is a new gun with an adjustable stock. I have shouldered a new Summit Ascent a couple of times. I can say that I dont have to lean my head forward to get right on the Ascent. If that fixes my issue or not, I dont know yet. Im not a big fan of the looks of the mid rib, however I just want a comfortable gun I can shoot as much as I want. I have explored the Challenger and Invictus Ascent models online some. A few of the things I read said the Ascent was a Trap gun?. My primary focus is sporting only.

Does anyone shoot the Ascent for sporting? Im open to any ideas or opinions.

Last edited by komatsu on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CG Ascent for sporting clays
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:35 am 
Presentation Grade

A cg will fit more like a browning. The raised rib may not be needed to get away from cheek slap. I think the ascent is meant for sporting and would expect it to shoot relatively flat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:14 am 
Limited Edition

I had a Silver Pigeon and went to a Summit Ascent. If you want a great new gun, the Ascent is a good option. However, based on your description, you could go see a good stock filter and make you SP fit great for way less money. Nothing wrong with the SP. It just doesn't fit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:38 am 
Crown Grade

I don't shoot any trap or skeet, only sporting and with a flat rib CG, but before buying it I spent a morning with an Ascent. Since my size and build is around "average", the standard CGs fit me okay and better than standard Berettas as there's less drop at the comb. I don't find the Beretta comb so low that my cheek gets bashed but I can see how it could happen.

I liked the Ascent well enough and it's fine for sporting as testified by the numbers out there at registered sporting comps. I would have bought an Ascent if I'd felt it to be any benefit, but it happens that the standard guns suit me just as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm 
Field Grade

I recently purchased a CG Ascent after shooting Beretta for a few years off and on. The CG fit me better than any gun I have owned and my scores have improved. I only shoot Sporting Clays and the mid rib works fine for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:26 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input!

I may have found a friend of a friend that has 1 I can try out. If not, I have talked to a dealer about getting a demo gun for me to try out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:17 am 
Field Grade

I tried out an Ascent. I found out it really wasn't for me....I liked the flat rib much better over the mid rib but a flat rib it all I've shot with field guns for 20 years. I shot both of them equal and couldn't really find a reason for the Ascent over the regular. I thought I would need the adjustable comb mostly, but it turned out I didn't.

I ended up getting an Invictus I. I like the simple looks of the Invictus I and so far I couldn't be happier with my decision. The Invictus fits me well and it feels like it was made for me. Its really comfortable to mount and especially the swing. I shot my best round with it the very first time I took it out!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

For me ... the Ascent was a great sporting gun ... much better than my Beretta or Browning (but closer to the Browning). In fit, the Ascent is close to the Krieghoff Sporter (which has slightly less rib) which is my fav’.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

Purchased an Ellipse Evo Ascent after shooting a Summit Sporting. The mid-rib and adjustable comb have added targets to my score in sporting clays and trap, and a confidence level for which I am grateful. Love the gun. That being said, I have a short neck, 34" arms and use 13 7/8 LOP. The Ascent works for me.