ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:52 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:07 pm
Posts: 16
Hi, can members please help with a question of value? I want a 20g Sporter CG either Summit or Magnus. Since they are mechanically identical what are the cosmetic differences and are they worth the money? It is not a gun I will be selling in the foreseeable future.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26609
Location: Plainfield, IL
Image

Image

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:07 pm
Posts: 16
Thank you for photos Randy, is the wood better quality, I can see you are paying for better engraving? Which do. You think is better value?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:40 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:21 pm
Posts: 5191
Location: UK
Your username suggests you're in the UK. If so bear in mind the UK spec Magnus doesn't have the tacky gold inlay and the Summit doesn't have the fancy woodwork.

_________________
“when Muslims are in the minority they are very concerned with minority rights, when they are in the majority there are no minority rights.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:38 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26609
Location: Plainfield, IL
Geordietrapper wrote:
Thank you for photos Randy, is the wood better quality, I can see you are paying for better engraving? Which do. You think is better value?


I think the Magnus is one of the best-looking shotguns made. CG really knows how to finish a gun.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 8:54 pm
Posts: 90
It is primarily an engraving and wood upgrade difference. Everything else is the same. For what it's worth, I shoot with more people that own a Magnus than a Summit. Also, it seems the case hardened finish seems to wear off quite easily - something to keep in mind


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:34 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:07 pm
Posts: 16
Is this the finish on the receiver or barrels? How can you prevent this happening?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26609
Location: Plainfield, IL
Jet Setter wrote:
Also, it seems the case hardened finish seems to wear off quite easily - something to keep in mind


There is no case color finish on either model being discussed here.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 am
Posts: 1752
Jet Setter wrote:
It is primarily an engraving and wood upgrade difference. Everything else is the same. For what it's worth, I shoot with more people that own a Magnus than a Summit. Also, it seems the case hardened finish seems to wear off quite easily - something to keep in mind

I have a Magnus Limited with the case hardened finish and it still looks like new so...??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 8:54 pm
Posts: 90
Well, you are lucky. A friend that has two, both have finish wear on the receiver. Another friend has his receiver finish wearing off as well. If you look through the "for sale" ads on other forums, most show finish wear on the receiver. Not sure if it is prevalent to older models or something else. It is just something I have personally noticed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:31 pm
Posts: 2422
I don't like false side plates...
Big fan of quarter sawed wood

_________________
Never sell a gun you shoot well, no matter how ugly or unpopular.
Copyright 2020 by SEB7515. All Rights Reserved.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:21 pm
Posts: 5191
Location: UK
Coloured finishes wearing thin through handling are not confined to CGs. For example a friend has a Silver Pigeon 5 losing it's colour even though it's only ever been used for clays - and then not a large round count. Even genuine colour case hardening wears away, as can the black finish on high end guns such as Perazzis after lots of handling and shooting.

CG does coat the silver receivers with something they call 'Invisalloy'. I have heard that very aggressive solvents can damage the coating and I've seen couple of older CGs where the silver receivers have gone to a dull grey finish but it's very unusual.

_________________
“when Muslims are in the minority they are very concerned with minority rights, when they are in the majority there are no minority rights.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 am
Posts: 1261
seb7515 wrote:
I don't like false side plates...
Big fan of quarter sawed wood
Agree on the side plates. Love qtr sawed for furniture but maybe not so much for gun stocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 am
Posts: 1261
Trickster wrote:
Coloured finishes wearing thin through handling are not confined to CGs. For example a friend has a Silver Pigeon 5 losing it's colour even though it's only ever been used for clays - and then not a large round count. Even genuine colour case hardening wears away, as can the black finish on high end guns such as Perazzis after lots of handling and shooting.

CG does coat the silver receivers with something they call 'Invisalloy'. I have heard that very aggressive solvents can damage the coating and I've seen couple of older CGs where the silver receivers have gone to a dull grey finish but it's very unusual.
Surely they do. Shot with a guy last year that had a Perazzi with barrels that were nearly silver.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 1911addict, 204_ruger, 47MolineRTU, ABLongbow, AlexDavis, att, Auldthymer, Banshee, Barmaleykin, Basstar, BG1187, Bing [Bot], birdhunter39, bladesmith, Bladeswitcher, cclark31, chemclay, Chitownhoff, Colt99, Cookr21, cormacf, CrusherT, dcblvsh2, derbyacresbob, desmobob, dmdegood, DooFighter, dpe2002, Drew Hause, ecampo, Ed Usinowicz, EricB, Finnbear, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Gunsite Guy, HenryPeter, Husker90, Jaspo01, John300exc, Jrkilcz12, Keperkey, Kyler Hamann, lossking, MaineGunnah, mikeydio, orys, painter*, ras1500, razir66, rsnell, Safetyfast, Saltydog055, seacilian, sera, sgun2015, SteveWilliams, SWPAMike, Tex, trdjohn, TRG3, walexa07, Wheelspin, winmod21, Woodsie131


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice