ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:52 am 
Utility Grade

Hi, can members please help with a question of value? I want a 20g Sporter CG either Summit or Magnus. Since they are mechanically identical what are the cosmetic differences and are they worth the money? It is not a gun I will be selling in the foreseeable future.

Post subject: Re: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for photos Randy, is the wood better quality, I can see you are paying for better engraving? Which do. You think is better value?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

Your username suggests you're in the UK. If so bear in mind the UK spec Magnus doesn't have the tacky gold inlay and the Summit doesn't have the fancy woodwork.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:38 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Geordietrapper wrote:
Thank you for photos Randy, is the wood better quality, I can see you are paying for better engraving? Which do. You think is better value?

I think the Magnus is one of the best-looking shotguns made. CG really knows how to finish a gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm 
Field Grade

It is primarily an engraving and wood upgrade difference. Everything else is the same. For what it's worth, I shoot with more people that own a Magnus than a Summit. Also, it seems the case hardened finish seems to wear off quite easily - something to keep in mind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:34 am 
Utility Grade

Is this the finish on the receiver or barrels? How can you prevent this happening?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Jet Setter wrote:
Also, it seems the case hardened finish seems to wear off quite easily - something to keep in mind

There is no case color finish on either model being discussed here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jet Setter wrote:
It is primarily an engraving and wood upgrade difference. Everything else is the same. For what it's worth, I shoot with more people that own a Magnus than a Summit. Also, it seems the case hardened finish seems to wear off quite easily - something to keep in mind

I have a Magnus Limited with the case hardened finish and it still looks like new so...??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

Well, you are lucky. A friend that has two, both have finish wear on the receiver. Another friend has his receiver finish wearing off as well. If you look through the "for sale" ads on other forums, most show finish wear on the receiver. Not sure if it is prevalent to older models or something else. It is just something I have personally noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't like false side plates...
Big fan of quarter sawed wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 am 
Crown Grade

Coloured finishes wearing thin through handling are not confined to CGs. For example a friend has a Silver Pigeon 5 losing it's colour even though it's only ever been used for clays - and then not a large round count. Even genuine colour case hardening wears away, as can the black finish on high end guns such as Perazzis after lots of handling and shooting.

CG does coat the silver receivers with something they call 'Invisalloy'. I have heard that very aggressive solvents can damage the coating and I've seen couple of older CGs where the silver receivers have gone to a dull grey finish but it's very unusual.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 am 
Diamond Grade

seb7515 wrote:
I don't like false side plates...
Big fan of quarter sawed wood
Agree on the side plates. Love qtr sawed for furniture but maybe not so much for gun stocks.

Post subject: Summit v Magnus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 am 
Diamond Grade

Trickster wrote:
Coloured finishes wearing thin through handling are not confined to CGs. For example a friend has a Silver Pigeon 5 losing it's colour even though it's only ever been used for clays - and then not a large round count. Even genuine colour case hardening wears away, as can the black finish on high end guns such as Perazzis after lots of handling and shooting.

CG does coat the silver receivers with something they call 'Invisalloy'. I have heard that very aggressive solvents can damage the coating and I've seen couple of older CGs where the silver receivers have gone to a dull grey finish but it's very unusual.
Surely they do. Shot with a guy last year that had a Perazzi with barrels that were nearly silver.