ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summit Ascent Review
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I thinking of buying a Summit Ascent for sporting. I was talking to a guy today that has one and he claims it shoots to high for him with the comb all the way down. Has anyone else had this problem? Caesars website says it should shoot 50/50. I dont want to spend $4000 on a gun and be disappointed with it shooting to high.

Post subject: Re: Summit Ascent Review
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why don't you ask the fellow you were talking to and see if he'll let you run some rounds through it.That'll be the only way to see how it works for you.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:52 pm 
Utility Grade

That would be nice but he is in Florida and I am in Missouri.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

If you check the website, I believe CG has some larger dealers that will let you shoot demo guns. Would be worth a mini-vacation to go shoot one.

KC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bullcreek wrote:

Ask around at your local club/s and you might have some luck.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

My son had not shot for three months. He flew in from Germany, I gave him the gun for Christmas.
We went shooting for the first time with the new gun. He beat us all ! I can only say it fit right out of the box for him.
Boehler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bullcreek wrote:

Tell me where he is in Florida and I'll go shoot it a few hundred times and let you know how it shoots. :wink:

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

bullcreek wrote:
I thinking of buying a Summit Ascent for sporting. I was talking to a guy today that has one and he claims it shoots to high for him with the comb all the way down. Has anyone else had this problem?
I've tried several and with about 75 rounds through one of them. Initially I thought the same because I couldn't easily get a nice '8' from the beads, there was a noticeable gap between them, but in practice it didn't shoot as high as I expected and I had no trouble hitting targets. Over here the Summit Ascent seem to be their most popular gun so it must shoot pretty well where people want it to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mine won't shoot 50/50 for me but it's about 60/40 and it works...

Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent 12ga 32"
Remington 11-87 20ga 28"

shootinscottyphotography.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:36 pm 
Field Grade

Mine has a point of impact of about 1" high at 13 yrds with the comb all the way down and I love it. Fits great. I have the skeet package and using the 410 tubes I just look at the target and break it. Very nice guns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

bullcreek wrote:
I thinking of buying a Summit Ascent for sporting. I was talking to a guy today that has one and he claims it shoots to high for him with the comb all the way down. Has anyone else had this problem? Caesars website says it should shoot 50/50. I dont want to spend $4000 on a gun and be disappointed with it shooting to high.

The comb on guerini's is 1/4" too high, period. Had the same problem till i shaved my stock on the impact.

Someone on a forum mentioned, that europeans like to have lots of cheek pressure thus the comb feels higher to us.

Get a nice used impact for the same or less than 4k....Lots more room to adjust to your liking, especially when buying blind.

Last edited by Excellent959 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is an idea that some may find useful. If you find that your fixed comb gun requires more cheek pressure than you find comfortable, just put a slightly taller front bead/sight/glowworm on the front of the rib. Then you won't have to press your cheek so hard into the comb to get a good sight picture. It will be OK to have your line of sight about 1/8" or so ABOVE the rib.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Excellent959 wrote:
The comb on guerini's is 1/4" too high, period. Had the same problem till i shaved my stock on the impact.

Someone on a forum mentioned, that europeans like to have lots of cheek pressure thus the comb feels higher to us.

Get a nice used impact for the same or less than 4k....Lots more room to adjust to your liking, especially when buying blind.

I thought the same thing when I bought my impact. The problem with that thinking is that the impact comes with a taller stock as well as a higher rib. In other words, both the standard summit and the impact have the same drop from rib to the stock. I wish it wasn't so because I'd prefer a LOT more drop.

I'm quite sure there are lots of people that feel the same way, but perhaps not enough people to warrant change from the manufacturers. Just another 1/4" of drop would be amazing. I've never seen anyone with the comb raised all the way up, so I'm not sure what the thinking is.

I contemplated putting a standard stock on my impact, but couldn't see myself spending the money on a stock. I've trained myself to jam my face down into the stock like most people do. It's not painful at all, it's just awkward. Light cheek pressure would be preferable, but would result in nearly 3" or more of drop at comb. I don't know of a gun available with that kind of drop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Ulysses wrote:
Here is an idea that some may find useful. If you find that your fixed comb gun requires more cheek pressure than you find comfortable, just put a slightly taller front bead/sight/glowworm on the front of the rib. Then you won't have to press your cheek so hard into the comb to get a good sight picture. It will be OK to have your line of sight about 1/8" or so ABOVE the rib.

This is an interesting idea. Have you seen anyone do this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jcbabb wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

This is an interesting idea. Have you seen anyone do this?

Yeah, ME. I do it all the time when shooting my XT Trap.

I like the gun and like the way it shoots and all that, but I don't like having to push my cheek down so firmly to get a level sight picture right along the top of the rib. So, I just put a slightly elevated front sight on the gun.

Now I can look parallel to the rib but slightly above it and don't have to scrunch my cheek down so hard into the comb. It has the same effect as shaving a little off the top of the comb, but actually is a little better since it also slightly increases the effective drop at the heel which many shooters need.

I've done it with other guns too that don't have adjustable stocks/combs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:48 am 
Diamond Grade

jcbabb wrote:

I thought the same thing when I bought my impact. The problem with that thinking is that the Light cheek pressure would be preferable, but would result in nearly 3" or more of drop at comb. I don't know of a gun available with that kind of drop.

There's a really good thread regarding combs being too high, Gil Ash has some very good comments:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=216&t=267868

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, it does shoot a bit high, even with the comb all the way down, but somehow, in that particular gun, it doesn't matter. I set my Ascent's comb 1/4" even higher than neutral and it still center punches targets when I just look at them. It has to do with the head's comfortable erect position, allowing the eyes to judge more accurately both the target's data and the barrel's vertical pointing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mine shoots flatter than my Beretta DT10.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I love my Ascent and just out another 100 rounds through her tonight. For me she shoots pretty close to the 50/50. I patterned her with my U2s and that what it continually came out at. A couple might have been 55/45 but that's pushing it.

Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent
Blaser F16
Blaser F3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:03 pm 
Field Grade

I typically shoot a lot of drop. My Ascent is set all the way down and I don't feel like it shoots high. To look down the barrel I would think it would shoot high but mine doesn't. I don't float the target at all . Dead on.