ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maintaining stock
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

What do you guys use to maintain your stock finish? I've had mine now for a while and in this Texas heat I tend to sweat a little in 95 degree weather. I do my do diligence in wiping it off after a shoot but didn't know what else I could put on it to keep its luster.

Post subject: Re: Maintaining stock
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The CG stock maintenance kit includes boiled linseed oil I believe that is what they recommend.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I live in Dallas. Based on August Crocker's recommendation, I've been using Clenzoil. I traded him my old Summit Ltd for a 20 gauge Syren Tempio and the finish was worn off part of my stock. He asked me what I had used on it, and I said the CG recommended linseed oil. August said linseed oil is absolutely not what you need for the Texas climate. I use the Clenzoil on both my CGs, the oldest I've had about 2.5 years, and the Clenzoil has kept the finish on through makeup, sweat, sunscreen, and bug spray. I am generous in applying it, and wipe the stock down before and immediately after I shoot. Granted, you probably won't have the makeup part of it! Mary Ann

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Mary Ann. My Ft. Worth temps aren't much different than yours. I'll try the Clenzoil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I also use clenzoil to maintain the stock on my summit ascent. I've been using clenzoil since 2009 when I bought my first summit limited. I not only use it for maintaining my stock but it's all I use to clean my gun. Works good as a bore solvent with a bore snake, and also on the metal surfaces as well. I use it just like majenkins mentioned liberally then wipe off excess off with a rag afterwards. The foaming stuff is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BrandonShaver wrote:
I also use clenzoil to maintain the stock on my summit ascent. I've been using clenzoil since 2009 when I bought my first summit limited. I not only use it for maintaining my stock but it's all I use to clean my gun. Works good as a bore solvent with a bore snake, and also on the metal surfaces as well. I use it just like majenkins mentioned liberally then wipe off excess off with a rag afterwards. The foaming stuff is pretty cool.

You are right, one of the other things I like about Clenzoil, is that you can just wipe the whole gun down with it, stock and barrel. I keep a small spray bottle and a rag in my field bag and wipe the whole outside down after shooting before putting it in the travel case. I'll admit that after having the finish eaten off on the Summit, I am amazed as to how well the stocks on my newer guns have held up by using Clenzoil instead of linseed oil. MAJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I ordered the Clenzoil in a jar in 75 pre lubed pads. I'll let you know how they work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

tuf-duc wrote:
I ordered the Clenzoil in a jar in 75 pre lubed pads. I'll let you know how they work.

If you like it get the liquid and a clean rag--much cheaper. MAJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MAJENKINS wrote:
BrandonShaver wrote:

You are right, one of the other things I like about Clenzoil, is that you can just wipe the whole gun down with it, stock and barrel. I keep a small spray bottle and a rag in my field bag and wipe the whole outside down after shooting before putting it in the travel case. I'll admit that after having the finish eaten off on the Summit, I am amazed as to how well the stocks on my newer guns have held up by using Clenzoil instead of linseed oil. MAJ

I had heard of Clenzoil before but after reading your praise about it ordered some myself :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'll jump in here too recommending the Clenzoil!!

Absolutely love the stuff. I've been using it on guns for years and it's excellent on wood. It is all my 20 bore Essex as well as other guns get inside and out. Even has the greatest benefit of being the ultimate hand moisturizer and smell good fragrant in The Gun Room!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 pm 
Field Grade

After reading the reviews of clenzoil, I purchased a bottle and used it on my guerini and my old model 12 Winchester. Both guns look like new now. What a great product.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Based on this thread, I tried Clenzoil. It is awesome on the wood of my Invictus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 am 
Limited Edition

Count me in as a satisfied Clenzoil customer. Bought it on MAJENKINS recommendation. More for the wood but liked it so much I bought a larger bottle. After shooting I wipe the whole gun down with Clenzoil. I also have Frog Lube - which I use for the barrels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Locks, stocks, and barrels. My go to for years. Good for the action too.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

These are really good videos on stock maintenance direct from the source...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:58 pm 
Utility Grade

The right side of my Summit Ascent Stock has always been dull in the middle 2/3rd's of the stock since day one and even after applying Boiled Linseed oil weekly it will not not produce a shine when dry and it appeals as if this portion of the stock just soaks up the oil faster than the surrounding wood - very odd.. I don't use sun screen or any other type of lotion. Additionally; I wipe the stock down while shooting to keep it dry with a soft cloth..

When looking closely at the grain in the affected area it appears porous compared to the surrounding wood grain - other shooters that want a CG are put off by the stock's appearance...

It does not look like the pictures of the wood in the video above on the affected side...

I have not called Guerini because stocks are not under warranty...

Any thoughts?
Thanks