ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CG quality going down?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 am 
Utility Grade

Seeing quality problems with new CG's? My wife's Syren's triggers puked out and the opening and closing effort was horrible. New safety mechanism hard to work. Friend's new CG Black ejector puked out. What the heck over? Is CG losing it? I find it hard to recommend hem after these problems.

Post subject: Re: CG quality going down?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:19 am 
Crown Grade

And what was CG`s customer service department`s response when you notified them?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Perhaps they are spending too much money on advertising and not enough on quality control and assurance. As well as I can tell, they advertise more than anyone else, this site as an example.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

studdog88 wrote:
Seeing quality problems with new CG's? My wife's Syren's triggers puked out and the opening and closing effort was horrible. New safety mechanism hard to work. Friend's new CG Black ejector puked out. What the heck over? Is CG losing it? I find it hard to recommend hem after these problems.

Two guns have problems, and you've withdrawn your endorsement?

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I have no idea.

However, that never stops me. How does quality go down over night ? They source lesser quality metal? Run tooling beyond what is recommended ? Fire experienced workers in favor of cheap labor ?

I hear it all the time, Remington for example, but I could never figure out what exactly happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:41 pm 
Crown Grade

ANY manufacturer of ANYTHING can and does turn out some bad pieces. CG, Beretta, Remington, Savage, Benelli, etc., etc. doesn`t matter. Having said that, I`m struggling to recall any blanket criticisms of Fabarm/CG, either their products or the company. Overgeneralizations based on very limited sampling and examples are oversimplifications at best, downright wrong at worst.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

McFarmer wrote:
How does quality go down over night ? They source lesser quality metal? Run tooling beyond what is recommended ? Fire experienced workers in favor of cheap labor ?

I hear it all the time, Remington for example, but I could never figure out what exactly happens.

It must by like wine? :shock: Regardless of manufacture, processes and procedures do not change daily, monthly, or annually. Regardless of brand, it is only one individual's experience that is the basis for the conclusion.

What happened to Honda and Ford quality? Sony? MacDonald's? If somebody gets a bad burger, it is as if all 21.08 billion of McDonald's sales were based on a couple of screw-ups ... or any company. We should know better.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
McFarmer wrote:
How does quality go down over night ? They source lesser quality metal? Run tooling beyond what is recommended ? Fire experienced workers in favor of cheap labor ?

It must by like wine? :shock: Regardless of manufacture, processes and procedures do not change daily, monthly, or annually. Regardless of brand, it is only one individual's experience that is the basis for the conclusion.

What happened to Honda and Ford quality? Sony? MacDonald's? If somebody gets a bad burger, it is as if all 21.08 billion of McDonald's sales were based on a couple of screw-ups ... or any company. We should know better.

To be fair, McDonald’s was never about quality. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 pm 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:

I attended a Jr college for a year, the reason is unimportant, when walking back to my apartment around 2pm my path took me behind a “Villager” restaurant, remember those ? Anyway a sweet young thing worked the noon shift there and when they had left over food in the warmer they sold them for maybe .50 or something. She always made sure there were plenty left over when I would be going down the alley, I’d load up for a couple bucks worth. Man I thought those burgers were the best ever.

Few years later I returned and could hardly choke one down. Perspective I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

I can relate. I spent part of my 1st semester in junior college working at a Burger King. I still cringe when my kids want to go there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

EricB wrote:

Of course it is. Buns must be caramelized properly, the same with the fries, same consistency with their shakes, same cleanliness of dining rooms, same standards for rest-rooms, and do on. Consistency is quality.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Consistency is quality.

I need to have you talk to my wife.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

i gotta say that's an interesting perspective on quality. have to agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:49 am 
Tournament Grade

The word quality doesn’t mean what most people think it does. It doesn’t mean fancy or luxurious or expensive. It means providing the buyer what they expect the product to be. Or that the product conforms to how it is defined. The more it conforms to its expected definition, the higher its quality. So a Chevy and a Benz can both be just as high quality. That is how people who manage quality for a living understand the term.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

studdog88 wrote:

I've seen 3 new ones in the last year. Ejectors puked out? Don't even know what that means. Maybe the ejectors have puked out. Triggers puked out?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:31 am 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
EricB wrote:

Of course it is. Buns must be caramelized properly, the same with the fries, same consistency with their shakes, same cleanliness of dining rooms, same standards for rest-rooms, and do on. Consistency [b]is quality.[/b]

This.

Locally we have a fast food chain which has won the United States Malcolm Baldridge National Quality award, the very first business in the entire restaurant sector to win that prestigious award. Started in the mid-50s the company has always strived to improve through data and process driven quality control. They constantly work on consistency to provide a quality product every time. It may seem to be just hot dogs, hamburgers and shakes, but how it done time after time is what make this or any business stand out.

A co-worker moved here from another state and his high school daughter went to work at Pal's as she had worked at fast food places previously. Boy, did she ever get an education. Training to make hot dogs alone required over 30 steps. She was required to both write them in order, but also to demonstrate in practice that she could do correctly. All the other menu items were similar as the expectation was they be done right every time.

The link below is dated and Pal's has since grown a lot, but they still hammer on consistency and quality in everything they do. For years they have also run a Quality Academy where they teach the principals of data and process driven quality principals, which apply across all business sectors. So this little company can teach nationally known and very large businesses what they have learned about quality just by making fast food, but doing it consistently right every time. As Randy said, consistency is quality.

I include this link for any who may never have been involved in quality training or a quality control process at your place of work and may be curious about it. Years ago I went through the Edwards Deming quality training at my place of employment, learning how I could apply it to my own job within that company. I found it most interesting then and still do.

https://www.nist.gov/baldrige/pals-sudden-service

As far as Caesar Guerini quality possibly going down, I seriously doubt it. I've had my Summit Ascent only for a few months but in fit, finish and function it is a quality shotgun in every regard. Everything I read about their service and backing their product is good as well. It's easy to make assumptions about a product based on having a problem with it, large or small. What really counts is how the maker backs their product and takes care of any problem which might occur.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I can’t bring myself to spend 4 large on a shotgun, otherwise I’d test the CG quality myself. I’m interested in how this turns out though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am 
Crown Grade

studdog88 wrote:
Are you still there studdog as I have a question: Is puked out a technical term or a medical term?

I and the 14 or 15 other CG owners I'm acquainted with must have been really lucky to have trouble free guns.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:56 am 
Utility Grade

The key to McDonalds from a customer standpoint is the quality (or lack of, depending on one's perspective) is consistent. You always know what you are going to get and this brings repeat business. I purchased a CG in the last couple months and the quality is what I expected (no issues, fit and finish excellent). Anecdotal assessments of quality are always suspect since they tend to highlight those having problems and not the whole population.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:38 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

studdog88 wrote:
My wife's Syren's triggers puked out

Yes, you stated this 4 months ago.

studdog88 wrote:
FWIW my wife's new Syren Tempio inertial trigger puked out after 200 rounds or so. Not a happy camper with Guerini.

So? Did you contact CG? What was the result?