ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: chorizo was correct, I messed up, need help/advice.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

chorizo, after I returned from pheasant hunting you told me I had shot to heavy a loads in my BRAND NEW AyA #2 RA. Damn, you nailed it, cleaning it today after quail hunt (normal loads, nothing heavy) there it is, CRACK in the stinking stock, Double Damn. It extends from the rear of the left side lock plate around and under the saftey and into the middle rear of the right side plate.

How and to whom do I go to get this fixed? I did shot some heavy 12 gauge loads but wow, I just hate this. How strong can the repair make the gun. I love it, but I need something a bit more rugged than this. Darn, Please let me know where to send her to get fixed.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Post subject: Re: chorizo was correct, I messed up, need help/advice.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mark, I am truly sorry to hear this. It is a shame.

Find the best stock man you can find and have him go to work on it. There are many out there. I personally have repaired a Ithaca Flues that had some cracks using Brownell's bedding compound and some serious hand work and it was almost impossible to see the repair.

A super good stock man just might be able to do the same.

Good luck and again, I am really sorry to hear it.

Mitch

Here is the discussion Mark and I were having. If I remember right, he was using 1 1/2oz of fast lead in his gun. Mark, so that others can understand, could you post what shells and how many you used?

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=201827&start=0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Mark, tragic about your gun. I may have some good news for you though. I used to be a Custom Bow manufacturer and have fixed several potentially fatal cracks in the working part of the wood limb and handles with a product called "Hot Stuff", it's like Super Glue and it is amazing stuff. I fixed one crack in a very heavy Long Bow limb and I did not expect it to hold but thought that it might be worth a try and 20 years later it is still holding. It works best on cracks like you are working with, it pentrates very well, in fact after having torture tested the product in order to feel comfortable using it in Bow limbs and Handles when required and it proved to be much stronger than before the damage occured, stronger than the surrounding wood around the repair area which would break before the repaired area when I conducted destructive testing, it is amazing stuff.
Strat

Last edited by stratoliner on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I too have used HotStuff. It works well and you can get it from Brownell's, but I would recommend that you send it to a stock smith given the cost of the gun.

I used hotstuff on a Ugartechea BL that had a crack in it that I bought in Spain. Never a problem after I used it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SHELLS: Mitch the details on the Shells were Kent, Fast Lead, 1 1/2 oz, 1440 fps, #6 shot. Even with the heavy gloves on the trigger gaurd stung my index finger when shooting.

Best Stock Guy: I am in Midland, TX at town of 100K folks w/ no stock folks. What about New England gun or Briley's??
stratoliner, no offense but never having messed wiht something this expensive I will probably not try it, just because the bugger factor is so high (read expensive) but if I cannot get something working may be forced to, Thanks for tip!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have used Briley's for choke and metal work, but not for wood. If the quality of one transfers to the other, then they would be able to do it.

Before you jump out with this, wait for others to wade in. Roger, Kyrie and Benedict1 should be able to recommend someone. Kyrie is a knowledgeable wood man, so I bet he may have a couple of places for you and Benedict1 knows some great people also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've not used these guys, but I did bookmark them just in case I might need a stock repair:

http://www.sr-gunworks.com/stock.htm

http://stockfixrs.com/repair_methods.htm

http://www.gunstockmaker.com/

Good luck with whatever solution you pick.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mark,

I have not had any experience with stock repair but here are three contacts who are often referenced by others:

Steve Bertram
Bertram & Co, Ltd
Boulder, CO
303-938-1996
[email protected]

Dennis Smith
The Stock Doctor
Tygh Valley, OR
(541) 483-2182
[email protected]

Charlie Pfleger
Hill Rod and Gun
Bozeman, MT
406-585-2228
http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

I would recommend starting with Steve and Charlie as I would assume if they can't help they would know who could. Your suggestion about NECG might also be a good place to contact.

I guess another option is to post your situation in the Gunsmithing & Restoration section and see if anyone can help provide more contacts.

Just to be clear about the above contacts - I have zero experience with them - use them as possible starting points in your search.

Last edited by PatB on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am sure going to add those guys to my reference list! Mark is already in a tough position and he has done many a favor posting what happened and what he used. So, guys, let's try to not rub salt in an already deep wound.

Last edited by chorizo on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ahh shoot. Sorry Mark. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was flaming you. These things happen. Let's get you on the road to repairing the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Mark,
I will say I have heard a thousand times that when you repair a wood crack properly it's as good as solid wood. It's the nature of how wood forms.

It will be as good as new when fixed. Just finding the right guy who has some time for you, a decent communicator and feels right for you is important.

I do agree I would ask New England Custom Gun their opinion. Although an AYA stock is no different than any other. So don't over-think it either.

I do remembering hearing that Midwest Gunworks does a fine job on stock repair
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant ... g-services

I have heard good things about these guys as well
http://www.gunstockmaker.com/Repair.htm

http://www.stockfixrs.com/

I am sure that there are a few in Texas too. It isn't brain surgery for any one who is good with wood.

Sorry about the crack but unless selling the gun soon is an issue you will have a fine sxs that is 100% in no time.

Good luck, Roger.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Oh I see that LeftieD recommended a couple of the same guys as I did.
That says something. Take a look at a few. Talk with them. See what kind of turnaround time they are offering.

Go with your gut.

Roger.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PatB wrote:
Ahh shoot. Sorry Mark. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was flaming you. These things happen. Let's get you on the road to repairing the gun.

{hs#

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mark,

Sorry to hear about your gun. Rest assured that it can be fixed.

My first question is how old is that Aya? If it was a new gun (say purchased in the last year), ordered from someone like say Cabela's or some other longstanding Aya dealer, is there a possibility that the dealer (and Aya of course) might pick up the tab to have this gun repaired?

If not, and if this is a brand new Aya #2RA, what about David Trevallion for the repair? Is he still accepting work? He definitely seems to be one of the most knowledgeable and skilled smiths around. I am sure he is going to be slow and very costly, but in this case... :?

David Trevallion
9 Old Mountain Rd.
Cape Neddick, ME 03902
207-361-1130

1 1/2 oz. at 1440 fps sure is a heck of a lot of wallop for that little gun. Out of curiosity, was that a 3" shell?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks to All!!!! I cannot follow up tomorrow, work, but shall on Tuesday! Again, Thanks and will keep ya posted in thit thread how it comes out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Roger for coming up with Midwest Gunworks as I couldn't remember their name when I posted my list. Mark, I would certainly make a call to them.

David - very good suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

New England Custom Gun

They have turned many of my tears into smiles.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

That is a monster load for a light game gun, but your AyA dealer should make it good. If not, you might try Kirk Merrington in Kerrville TX. He's Brit trained, and if he won't do the work he'll know someone who will.

http://www.kirkmerrington.net/

Quote from his website:
"Although I do not do woodwork or engraving, I have English-trained individuals to whom I routinely send work."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Why wouldn't this be a Warranty issue??? If it were my new gun and I shot shells of the correct length for the chamber capacity I would consider it a warranty issue unless I had exceeded the gun manufacturers stated load limitations. I don't care if it's one of the "B" guns, a Remington, Winchester, RBL, ect., or any other Maker's gun it would be a Warranty issue. I know if you bought the AYA at Cabela's they would simply give you a new gun or refund your money or repair it if you insisted.
Strat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:51 pm 
Crown Grade

stratoliner wrote:
Why wouldn't this be a Warranty issue??? If it were my new gun and I shot shells of the correct length for the chamber capacity I would consider it a warranty issue unless I had exceeded the gun manufacturers stated load limitations. I don't care if it's one of the "B" guns, a Remington, Winchester, RBL, ect., or any other Maker's gun it would be a Warranty issue. I know if you bought the AYA at Cabela's they would simply give you a new gun or refund your money or repair it if you insisted.
Strat

It can't hurt to look down that path as well.