ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael McIntosh Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I ordered my 'Spanish Best' by Weiland I also ordered 'Shotguns and Shooting Three' by McIntosh. I have read his articles and his book 'Best Guns' and like many others admire his work. I was checking Amazon today to order the other 'Shotguns and Shooting' books.

One of his titles, 'More Shotguns and Shooting' goes for $190.00, What's up with that? Why would this book be so expensive, it must be another one of the 'shotgun things' I need to learn. Any help appreciated!

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Post subject: Re: Michael McIntosh Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

It's not a shotgun thing, it's a book thing. Many of this kind of book, appealing to a niche market, is printed in small runs only. Then when they go out of print there isn't enough of a market to justify another print run (second printing) but there still are a few people who want the book badly and bid the price up of any remaining new copies or used ones that come to market.

This is a very common phenomenon.

Try searching on:

www.abebooks.com and www.bookfinder.com but in general you'll find that prices are pretty uniform in this day of a near-"perfect" used book market.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Frank answered the question. It's just a book market thing and has nothing to do with the author or shooting.

You might want to check your local public library as I found a copy at mine. I liked the 1st book, thought the 2nd book was even better and still have not read the 3rd. What are your thoughts about the 3rd book?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:23 am 
Presentation Grade

...And while you are at it, take a look at Ned Schwing's definitive book on the Browning Superposed. I purchased mine for a sizeable discount from the cover price ($49) and within a couple of months, they were trading for nearly $500. I have seen them available for upwards of $1200 (http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwo ... t%20Legacy)!

When that becomes the standard I will have to trade sell my mint copy off and use the cash towards another shotgun. The only thing better than reading about a venerable and classic shotgun is owning one, and yes there are still more than a few I would like to own in my lifetime!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PatB: I like number 3 because MM agrees with me about so much (perhaps it is I that agree with him). I like his treatment of my favorite the 28 gauge and his disdain of the 410. Like much of his writing it is full of facts and written in a style that I enjoy.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm 
Crown Grade

:D I have all three of this series. Great reads and just chuck full of great info. I also agree with what he says. He is a great writer and great gun authority.

You can't go wrong with his works.

All the best!

Greg