ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1 st spanish double ?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:19 pm 
Field Grade

Just purchase a victor sarasqueta model 3EC 12 gauge 26 inch barrels choke cyl & full stright grip stock to a checkered butt, gun weights 6 lbs , no importers name on it anywhere, don"t know how it got here , the reason i bought it was i was looking for a light wt. 12 to hunt snipe in the salt water marshs, ckokes were ideal and weight was just right, anybody know anything about this make gun. ps the gun has a very narrow rib on it but looks very nice.

Post subject: Re: 1 st spanish double ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Victor Sarasqueta made some very good shotguns. I only have one of his now, a lower priced boxlock. A Zephyr Woodlander. Even that is very well built. One of his sidelocks is in my future if I can find the right one. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:55 am 
Crown Grade

It has been said (likely here), Spanish Shotguns range from some of the best ever made to junk. I think they have been underrated in the past. Many are/were made of outsourced parts so you can get one made of quality parts that were poorly put together. I once had a Spanish SXS 10 ga. that produced some of the most beautiful patterns with most everything stuffed in it that I ever saw. The problem was it had a habit of doubling! Ever had a 10 ga. double on you loaded with 2.5 oz. shells?? Nobody could fix it so I got rid of it. I currently have two. One is a very solid field gun, a lightweight 10 ga. (I no longer shoot 2.5oz. loads) which I feed 12 ga. equivalent loads & a cute little 20 ga. that needs a gunsmith.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:40 pm 
Crown Grade

oakisland,

Your Victor Sarasqueta Model 3 E.C. was the highest grade Anson & Deeley actioned boxlock that the firm produced during the 1960's and 70's. According to the factory data, your gun has chopper lump barrels, auto-ejectors and, if produced after 1974, chrome lined bores. The 3 E.C. was patterned after the Churchill Model XXV light game gun which featured 25" barrels and a narrow solid rib. The 3 E.C. was priced at 13.851, Pesetas (approx. US$234.00) F.O.B. the Sarasqueta factory The Stateside price could have been double that, and possibly more. Models 4 through 12E were Holland & Holland pattern sidelock guns. Models 13E and 14E were sidelock double rifles chambered for dangerous African game (up to .500 nitro express).

Remove the forearm and separate the barrels from the frame. Among the proof marks will be an alpha-numeric date code and the makers mark, usually a running rabbit within a lozenge with a V above and an S below the rabbit. The bore and choke dimensions in millimeters appear on the underside of each barrel.

The lack of an importer's name and city may indicate that the gun was originally purchased by military or diplomatic personnel stationed in Spain and entered the States as a personal import which does not require an importer's name stamped on the gun.

Many Basque gunmakers produced guns to meet an importer/distributor's price point. Don Victor appears to have held to a high standard even on entry level guns. My experience with my Model 7E Trap which I purchased new in 1976 has digested many, many thousands of trap rounds and has given sterling service.

FWIW, during the late 19th century and early 20th century, the firm of Victor Sarasqueta received a royal warrant as gunmaker to the king of Spain.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Neanderthal,

Your Stoeger imported Zephyr Woodlander was based on the Victor Sarasqueta Model 3. If you look carefully at the underlugs, you'll see a fine front to rear parting line indicating that the barrels are forged integral with the underlugs aka: the desirable chopper lump. The Woodlander employs the same Purdey-type hidden third fastener and extractors as the Model 3. The Stoeger catalogue does not mention if the Woodlander has gas escape valves or chrome lined bores which were standard on the Model 3 but, I suspect that your gun has both. The Woodlander featured a beavertail forearm and side clips on the jaws whereas the Model 3 did not.

The 1957 Stoeger catalogue priced your Woodlander at US$108.00 which IMO, was an outstanding value for a good quality SxS at a time when a Savage Fox Model B SxS sold for US$79.95 and a Winchester Model 24 SxS went out the door for $86.95.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks doppelflinten for the info. i thought it looked like a very well made gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you very much for the information on my Zephyr Woodlander. I only knew I liked the gun, and pheasants do not. It has always functioned perfectly. It just feels well built. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have other doubles to compare it to. Another one I get that feeling with is my 1926 or 27 (I can't remember right now) N.I.D.