ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another question about Arrieta/ AYA frame sizes.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello shotgunworld,
I am a new member but a long time stalker and this question has been brought up before but got turned into a barrel proof discussion. So this is the quandary, I purchased an Arrieta model 557 28 gauge 28 inch barrels ic/m round body english stock splinter fore arm weighs exactly 6 pounds. I was wondering is this an actual 28 gauge frame or is it a 20 gauge frame. I have read on here people have messaged arrieta directly and they said they make 3 frames 12, 16/20, 28/.410
I have also read of people who purchased a 20 gauge and 28 gauge at the same time to take them apart side by side measure them and they are identical. I have come to understand the reason for not making each gauge its own frame is for interchangeable parts to save on special parts since Arrieta/AYA doesn't make a lot of their parts. So lets see your opinions and anecdotes.

Thank you for your time and patience, I hope my first post was done correctly.

Post subject: Re: Another question about Arrieta/ AYA frame sizes.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:57 pm 
Limited Edition

I think your post was fine, I’m sorry no one has answered.
I have three AYA 4/53’s, 12, 16 and 20. They are all built on a specific frame size. I heard once you could measure the distance between the firing pin holes and compare but you can feel the difference in your hand between the three that I own.
AM

Post subject: Re: Another question about Arrieta/ AYA frame sizes.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:54 am 
Presentation Grade

I would say a 6 pound 28 gauge is on the heavy side.
My AyA Number 2 in 20 gauge is 5 pounds 15 ounces, and I think a 28 gauge should be somewhat lighter.
My 16 gauge AyA is 6.5 pounds and I would say the frames are scaled appropriately, but the barrel set on the 16 is a trifle heavier perhaps.
It is not just about weight, with a good shotgun, it should also be about proportion and balance.