ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bulges in barrel of Spanish-made Noble
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is the new thread that spun off my $400 AyA thread. Here are pics of my Noble's full barrel. By my count, there is one very small dent, followed by 4 small bulges. I only remember 1, maybe 2 bulges when I got it 20 years ago, and I have never really noticed a change in the gun until after my last hunting trip. Two of them are definitely new. One might be the product of the last 5 years. I only fired the full barrel once on my last hunting trip. 3 of the bulges have the blueing worn off... not sure if that is a product of age or expansion. Also, the bulges are only present on the bottom side of the barrel... there is no evidence of them when looking from the side or top.

I would really like to repair the barrel if possible... this gun means more to me than the market price of a few hundred bucks.

Thanks all for your opinions

William

Post subject: Re: Bulges in barrel of Spanish-made Noble
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dents can usually be repaired. Bulges are a different story. It seems very unusual that shooting normal loads through the gun with no obstructions in the barrel might cause something like this.

If it was mine and I really wanted it examined and fixed if possible I would send it to someone like Briley. It will cost you but if they can't fix it, nobody can. Further, they will fix it right. I would not trust this to the average guy with a gunsmith sign outside his door.

Maybe some of the other guys have more insight but this is screwy. :? :?:

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I decoded the marks on the barrel... maybe it could help:

Manufacturer: GIMENO, JUAN

Marks:
Eibar Proof House
Black and smokeless powder proof
850 Kg pressure
20-70 chamber

Chokes:
Mod: 15.3 & 15.8
full: 15.0 & 15.8

Marked J1 on full barrel... 1964 manufacture

There's a couple more odds and ends, but I think I got the significant ones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I understand and appreciate the sentimental value of the gun, but looking at the photos I can't help but think that all things have a limited service life and this set of barrels is very near the end.

I'm truly sorry, but I'd not fire that gun, or stand next to anyone who did. Those barrels may go another thousand rounds without a problem, or split the next time it's fired. There's just a lot of risk here.

Sorry I could not be more positive!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Kyrie wrote:
I understand and appreciate the sentimental value of the gun, but looking at the photos I can't help but think that all things have a limited service life and this set of barrels is very near the end.

I'm truly sorry, but I'd not fire that gun, or stand next to anyone who did. Those barrels may go another thousand rounds without a problem, or split the next time it's fired. There's just a lot of risk here.

Sorry I could not be more positive!

Hey... that's the kind of honesty I was looking for. No worries {hs#

Thanks for the assessment!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FWIW, I have a Nobel BLNE in 20 gauge and it's one of my favorite guns.

Another, similar gun, that comes up fairly often on the on-line auction sites is the BL Astra Imperial. I've seen the Astra in 12 and 20 gauge, and have one in 20 gauge. The Astra and Nobel could just about be twin brothers.

So, if you get to the point you want another gun like the one you have enjoyed for many years, there are options ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pheasants For-dinner wrote:
This is the new thread that spun off my $400 AyA thread. Here are pics of my Noble's full barrel. By my count, there is one very small dent, followed by 4 small bulges. I only remember 1, maybe 2 bulges when I got it 20 years ago, and I have never really noticed a change in the gun until after my last hunting trip. Two of them are definitely new. One might be the product of the last 5 years. I only fired the full barrel once on my last hunting trip. 3 of the bulges have the blueing worn off... not sure if that is a product of age or expansion. Also, the bulges are only present on the bottom side of the barrel... there is no evidence of them when looking from the side or top.

I would really like to repair the barrel if possible... this gun means more to me than the market price of a few hundred bucks.

William

I agree with Kyrie's comments. The barrels should be retired from use and you were probably on borrowed time with the first 1 or 2 bulges. It's a tough deal William but it's better to error on the side of safety.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:27 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Those bulges are minor in comparison to many that I have seen, and ones of that size in a set of softer metal barrels is less likely to develop a crack that would be a problem for repair or inhibit the reshaping of the metal.

The primary issue with a barrel bulge is the hammering effect of the shot jumping the enlarged bore section (gap) and slamming against the far side at an angle steeper than a choke profile.

If the bore diameter is returned to a smooth passage by shrinking the bulge and reworking the bore, the only visible remnant will be marks on the exterior. Reblueing might be more expense than most would want on an economy gun.

Shotguns have a rather low operating pressure from just ahead of the chamber and I would not be expecting those slight bulges (especially after prudent repair) to make an extreme safety hazard, but the nervous readers will recommend that you cease and desist due to the heavy presence of lawyers these days. That is to be expected when readers are not used to being exposed to unfamiliar problems and their solutions.

Heavy pitting inside many barrels still being used today actually make me more apprehensive than bulges and their repair when of this nature.

[email protected]

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.