Shotgun Forum banner

AYA Model 3

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  saskbooknut 
#1 ·
A member of my dove club is looking to sell his AYA Model 3 box lock. I'm familiar with the #2's and 4/53's, but don't think I've ever seen another 3, and can't seem to find any articles on the web. Can anyone share info or opinions as to quality, etc? Of course my friend says it's the best gun ever, but then he's trying to sell it.

#3 ·
Here is what I posted on the other thread you started on AyA No. 3 which you stated was a 16 gauge in a second post -
AyA Model 3 is a non-ejector boxlock, light border engraving. A slightly better finished gun than base model. They are a nice light weight gun suitable for upland hunting.
The Matador III, on the other hand, is a heavier ejector gun with American style beavertail forend.
You don't say what gauge or other features so impossible to value, but the #3 was not an expensive gun.
Non-ejectors are a hard sell in the current market, particularly in 12 gauge.
In 16 gauge a non-ejector gun would be sold at a discount to one with ejectors.
We need so much more to put a value on the gun, - *condition*, chokes, barrel length, English grip or pistol grip, Length of pull, etc. Value in the hundreds, not thousands.

Here is a site with catalogue information, including #3.
http://www.shotguns.se/html/pre_diarm.html

#5 ·
The proof marks will give you a date code for year of production. A key to the proof marks is on the Swedish site that I gave you the link for.
AyAFineGuns will give you their model number and date of production from their books if you e-mail them the serial number.
In 1970 this model gun would have retailed at about a third of the price of an AyA sidelock in the US, but they are uncommon on this side of the Atlantic.
There are a lot more of the Number 3 guns for sale in the UK, some very reasonably priced.
My thoughts on value is around $900 to $1K in the US market in the excellent condition that you describe. It depends how much you like the gun and how much the owner values it.
Quite a few AyA guns have come to North America from Scandinavia recently, with some being sold for very low prices. I bought a Model 106 in 16 gauge in very good condition for about $300. I have also seen model 107LI guns. I do not recall another post about an AyA Number 3, however.
I do hope that some other Spanish gun fanciers chime in on this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.