ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spanish made H&R Sxs 410? Mystery Solved
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I stumbled onto this clean little 410 SxS. It is stamped "H&R Firearms, Gardner MA, Made in Spain." It has double triggers, 26" bbls, an English stock, BT forend, and fixed chokes. Overall condition appear to be very good. It has a plastic buttplate that is cracked and doesn't look cut-down. I will be able to get my hands on it this weekend but the owner sent me some pics (not fantastic).

Can anyone offer any information on it. I can discern from the stamping is that it takes 3" shells. I have a weakness for English stocked/dbl trigger doubles and would live to add a 410 to my collection if it's a decent quality shooter.

It's an Ugartechea 221

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by meh92 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Spanish made H&R Sxs 410?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

more pictures...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I think H&R is Harrington & Richardson. As I recall they were a hardware store quality gun distributor, but that is only a hazy recollection. That's a good looking .410! I still have my Savage Stevens .410 that I received from my grandfather at age 12. Hunted hard with it for quail, grouse, woodcock, crows, even pheasant when they were still around in New England. Most of those birds were pretty safe from me even with 3 inch shells. My problem now is what to do with a single shot .410? Can't get rid of it, but can't think of what to shoot at with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

My first sg was an H&R 16ga single shot. As you said, a Harrington and Richardson. Like you, most of my quarry was pretty safe in those early years. I would love to know some details on this gun. The seller has agreed to let me shoot skeet with it this weekend if the weather cooperates.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

http://www.shotguns.se/html/spain.html

a useful reference on Spanish proof above

N2 date code would be 1994 - I could not make out a makers mark.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks. It will be easier to read once I get my hands on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 am 
Crown Grade

Jabali wrote:
I think H&R is Harrington & Richardson. As I recall they were a hardware store quality gun distributor, but that is only a hazy recollection...

Harrington & Richardson was a manufacturer of revolvers, rifles and shotguns. It was founded in 1871 and went out of business in 1986. The name was resurrected in 1991, later acquired by Marlin and then by Remington. Production ceased in 2015.

During the 1970's, they also imported a few high quality single barrel trap guns which were essentially hand built by Franz Sodia in Ferlach, Austria. These guns featured premium Boehler steel barrels, a Blitz type action with double underlocking lugs and Kersten top crossbolt. The false sideplates were hand engraved in a Germanic relief style depicting hunting scenes.

The N2 date code indicates that the subject Spanish SxS would have been imported by the resurrected firm prior to it's acquisition by Marlin.

A clear, close-up photo of the frame watertable should show a maker's mark telling us who made the gun.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 am 
Tournament Grade

I will have good pictures this weekend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

The mystery is solved. It is a model 221 made by Ugartechea. It has an auto safety, extractor, and the 3" chambered 26" barrels are choked Mod and Imp-Mod. Other than a cracked plastic butt plate, the gun is in like-new condition. The D2 date code on the bottom of the barrels puts it at 1984.

Any idea on approximate value?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Spanish made H&R Sxs 410? Mystery Solved
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

meh92,

The Uggie Side Lock .410 with the H&R designation usually goes for about $900-$1200, now if the .410 is a real Uggie Side Lock, you are talking about a lot better gun worth around $3,500-$4,200. I believe the 221 is a Box Lock .410. A nice little Spanish made field grade gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Post subject: Re: Spanish made H&R Sxs 410? Mystery Solved
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, it's not H&R. I finally got my trifocals in and got some good light on the stamping. While light, it is clearly not H&R. It is stamped Exel. Amazing what good glasses will do for you.