ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JC Higgins/AYA 100 issues
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm 
Field Grade

Hello,

I picked up a JC Higgins 100. It’s a 12ga with the single non selective trigger. I’m having issues with the trigger only firing one barrel and not switching. After stripping it down I found that someone previously “repaired” the sears and did some work to the trigger. I’m wondering where I can find parts for this gun if anywhere and if there is a gunsmith who specializes in these guns that could straighten out my trigger issues. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Post subject: Re: JC Higgins/AYA 100 issues
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

I've owned several of these guns in 12 and 16 ga and currently own a 12 ga that is my foul weather field trial gun. The sear design on these guns varies all over the map with visible differences depending on when they were built. The current AYA 100 I own had a heavy second trigger pull that I determined was not the sear's fault, but the little rocking barrel selector was dragging on the side of the sear for the left barrel. Fixing that situation instead of blindly whittling on the sear fixed the problem without developing the problem you're experiencing. As for parts for these guns, they have dried up unless you have a very late manufacture that may interchange with the AYA Matador sear. Numrich does list Matador parts. Good luck on getting it repaired.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was going to suggest you contact Riflemeister. I guess I’m too late.

He bought my misbehaving JC Higgins 100 and brought it back to life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you for the replies. I did see the breakdown at numrich and my sears look like the old style which i haven't been able to find anywhere. The ones currently in the gun have been brazed but they both fire when the trigger switched from one to the other. The problem seems to be the selector staying under the right sear unless completely disassembled and started under the left sear. I ended up just purchasing a 20ga version of this gun and once it gets to me next week i'll be using it for a blueprint to try to solve my issues with the 12ga.