ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from a newbie and thinking about screw in chokes 10GA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Everyone, Ill start with shotguns and reloading for shotguns in the depth that I am about to go is very new to me. I am very well versed in rifle and pistol reloading and load development though. Sure Ive shot plenty, normally my go to goose gun is my S&W 1000M but I found myself the new owner of a Richland Arms 711 10 gauge made by Zabala.
Id love to get this 2x4 of a shotgun back into laying waste to the local goose population as my property is right under a flight path between roosting ponds and corn fields.
Anyway Ive used the search feature and done as much research as I can since December in regards to "can I shoot steel" with most links to possible answers leading to 404 errors.

I want to be able to shoot steel through this, I have like 50 lbs of steel BB and T shot so it would make for cheap reloads (and more goose pastrami if anyone wants the recipe). My question is if I send this off to Mike Orlen to have chokes put in is that it or would I need any additional work done? Its Full/Full now which would for sure blow out if I shot steel as is in my estimation. The gun isnt one I would be worried about resale due to modifications, I just want to understand if thats all I would really need.

Thanks everyone,
Andrew

Post subject: Re: Hello from a newbie and thinking about screw in chokes 1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I have had numerous 10 ga. SXS 3.5" guns, mostly Spanish. I still have one Spanish gun made by Ugarteccia & two Beretta model 410s. I had choke tubes installed in the Ugarteccia & one of the Berettas had tubes in it when I bought it. The barrels had also been shortened to 28". I had Briley redo the chokes to the tune of just under 600 bucks. I wanted a gun I could shoot anything in & not worry about it. I don't shoot steel anyway but I do shoot Hevi Shot. I didn't want to mess with the chokes on the unaltered Beretta because they are quality chokes & pattern great. They are too tight for anything hard like Hevi Shot but are great for Tungsten matrix, Nice shot, bismuth, lead & buckshot. The best patterning 10ga. & one of the best patterning guns I ever saw period was a Spanish SXS . I finally sold it because it kept doubling & nobody could fix it. Personally, I would forget steel & buy some decent shot. The price of bismuth is predicted to drop & bismuth BB'S are great for geese. You might think about having the choke restrictions reduced. You can always put tubes in later. I would check out how the gun patterns as-is before I did anything. Good patterning guns are hard to find!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:52 pm 
Utility Grade

geometric wrote:
... They are too tight for anything hard like Hevi Shot but are great for Tungsten matrix, Nice shot, bismuth, lead & buckshot. The best patterning 10ga. & one of the best patterning guns I ever saw period was a Spanish SXS . I finally sold it because it kept doubling & nobody could fix it. Personally, I would forget steel & buy some decent shot. The price of bismuth is predicted to drop & bismuth BB'S are great for geese. You might think about having the choke restrictions reduced. You can always put tubes in later. I would check out how the gun patterns as-is before I did anything. Good patterning guns are hard to find!

Thanks Geometric! I'll have to hunt around and see what I can find for nice shot or bismuth factory loads and see how it patterns. Any idea on when and how much bismuth is predicted to drop by? Looks pretty steep at the moment. Id love to just shoot this gun as is if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:34 am 
Crown Grade

I don't have any official market surveys or anything. Scuttlebutt has it that greater use of bismuth will lead to a price reduction. I would keep looking for deals & sales, like now when demand is low. Also, reloading helps a lot. I bet there are tons of used MECs on ebay as well as deals on ammo. & loose shot!