ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedersen Custom Model 1500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I stumbled into this interesting Spanish gun last year in a local pawn shop. I had never heard of it, but I could tell it was a well built gun and happily dropped down $400 and headed out the door.

The gun is a Pedersen Custom Model 1500. These were imported by Mossberg for a brief time in the early 70's in an attempt to compete with Browning, Beretta, Ithaca/Perazzi OU's.

This one has 32" barrels, single selective inertia trigger, selective ejectors, a wide flat rib and choked F / IM. It has a Boss style action. When I bought it, it had a really high combed trap stock on it that fit me terribly. I shot it a few times just to check it out and put it away, until last month when I ran across another field model 1500 that had a field style butt stock that I figured would fit much better. I was able to buy it from an auction for $350. So with a little swapping around I now have a 32" barreled gun that fits me well, and an entire spare gun for parts in case anything breaks.

I'd love to hear any of you folks who have any knowledge or experience with the Pedersen Custom 1500.

These are some pretty bad cell phone pics, but I'll post some better pics soon.

Post subject: Re: Pedersen Custom Model 1500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 am 
Crown Grade

The Pederson 1500 was built by Aramberri and marketed, as you mentioned, by Mossberg.
They were a very good value for the money but were poorly promoted. Mossberg also imported Beretta barrels and frames and stocked them in American black walnut (Pederson Model 1000). The published value guides list the model 1500 trap with values ranging from $600.- (good), $825.- (V.G.) to $900.-(Exc.).

Two model 1500s for $750.- sounds like a good deal. Interestingly, one value guide lists the
Aramberri built model 1500 as having a value only $100.- less than the "custom stocked" Beretta built model 1000. I would say that you did well !

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I had one for a few years when I started shooting. Loved it, but slowly went away from it when I started shooting higher volumes (league, practice rounds and registered skeet). Didn't know if I could find a gunsmith to keep it running smoothly and wasn't willing to commit to a tube set if I couldn't. I have yet to hold an O/U that had as good subjective "feel" as my Pedersen.

The previous owner used it for trap and the action wasn't tight when I got it. Wrights in southern IL fixed that and installed screw in chokes. They did great work. Coles on the east coast replaced hammer springs twice and replaced a "stirrup" that failed on one of the leaf springs. Mine came with the high stock as well. The previous owner did a poor mans soft comb by cutting out a chunk on top of the comb and glueing in some neoprene, then glued on covering material. Not pretty but functional. I cut the stock down further with a belt sander, got it to fit pretty good and covered the "soft comb" with imitation leather.

From my reading, Victor Aramberri was on the original design team for the Perazzi MX8, or may have been the original designer. He went back to Spain and started making guns under his own name. I think his firm was merged into what is now Kemen. The similarities of the MX8, Pedersen and Kemen are obvious. BTW, I was never able to keep the ejectors functioning.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 am 
Crown Grade

jeffrenk wrote:
...From my reading, Victor Aramberri was on the original design team for the Perazzi MX8, or may have been the original designer. He went back to Spain and started making guns under his own name. I think his firm was merged into what is now Kemen. The similarities of the MX8, Pedersen and Kemen are obvious. BTW, I was never able to keep the ejectors functioning.

By the mid-1970's, Victor Aramberri's firm was no longer listed in the Asociacion Armera directory and appears to have ceased operating at that time. This coincides with Mossberg discontinuing the Armberri built Boss actioned 1500 O/U series and the 2000 SxS series in 1975.

Victor Aramberri was not the only casualty among the Basque gunmakers. By the late 1970's, many were on life support. Twenty of them, including Francisco Sarriugarte, joined together in the Diarm consolidation (see Terry Wieland's book, "Spanish Best"). Sarriugarte had been a maker of sidelock over/unders (interestingly, their double safety sear sidelocks employed coil springs in place of "V" springs).

Following the Diarm failure (1988), the Sarriugarte family and several key workers formed Keman Armas in 1990. They chose to build a Boss actioned O/U similar to the Perazzi. BTW, its my understanding that some early Perazzis were built on a Merkel-type action (perhaps one of our European forum members can correct or confirm this). While its been claimed that the Keman is a copy of the Perazzi, it is worth noting that several makers predated Perazzi in building a Boss action over/under, obviously copied from the British.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi