ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Gun, New Questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 pm 
Utility Grade

So I just made an offer for my first spanish double. A used Uggie Model 30 (E221).
The seller indicated the gun is choked as IM/F.
I typically hunt an IC/MOD set up being I hunt over a springer. Quarry ranges from preserve chukar & pheasant (state stocked and preserve, I'm from PA), and wild grouse.

From what I see, the majority of these spanish doubles are choked tight. Do you guys open these guns up for upland hunting? I'm not much of a choke-snob. I've accidentally hunted a whole days before running M/F and couldn't tell much of a difference, other than maybe a few more stone dead birds than mostly crippled birds.

I'm leaning towards possibly just using the gun as-is for a while to see how I like it. If I don't then I'll spring to have it opened up. I got the gun for what I see is a great price, so a small investment into opening the gun up isnt going to be a bank killer.

Anyways, just from experience on here, do you guys often hunt upland with tight choked guns? Do you like it?

Why is it that most of these guns are choked in this manner? What is the driving force for having such a tightly choked gun? Shooting sitting-still birds back in the day? Turkey hunting? To me, it seems like a niche of a choke restriction as opposed to IC/MOD which covers most upland scenarios. Whats the theory on why these, and other old guns are so tight?

Post subject: Re: New Gun, New Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:07 am 
Diamond Grade

I would shoot it first and see what the results are.

My 28 gauge Uggie is marked IC/MOD, however, the constrictions are looser and tighter than marked. If the right (IC) barrel had .001 less constriction it would be Skeet 1 and if the left (MOD) barrel had .001 more constriction it would be full.

I've had the gun about 10 years and have never felt the need to open the tighter choke and it's my go to woodcock gun.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 pm 
Crown Grade

FlyChamps wrote:
I would shoot it first and see what the results are.

My 28 gauge Uggie is marked IC/MOD, however, the constrictions are looser and tighter than marked. If the right (IC) barrel had .001 less constriction it would be Skeet 1 and if the left (MOD) barrel had .001 more constriction it would be full.

I've had the gun about 10 years and have never felt the need to open the tighter choke and it's my go to woodcock gun.

This is excellent advice. If you do decide later to open it up, I would just open the right barrel. I have seen many old time American made doubles that were cylinder and full chokes and they are perfectly usable for many applications. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Padouble2,

I would purchase some RST or Poly SpredR shells for your tighter choked Spanish double guns. Pattern the new gun with your SpredR shells and see how the pattern turns out.

I use both RST and Poly SpredR shells in my L.C. Smith and J.P. Sauer double guns without opening the M/F Chokes, they work great for Grouse and Woodcock, Pheasant and Quail.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 16 gauge Hammer Gun Choked M/F, great patterns for bird gunning with the SpredR shells.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:53 am 
Utility Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Padouble2,

I would purchase some RST or Poly SpredR shells for your tighter choked Spanish double guns. Pattern the new gun with your SpredR shells and see how the pattern turns out.

I use both RST and Poly SpredR shells in my L.C. Smith and J.P. Sauer double guns without opening the M/F Chokes, they work great for Grouse and Woodcock, Pheasant and Quail.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 16 gauge Hammer Gun Choked M/F, great patterns for bird gunning with the SpredR shells.

I can't find out where to purchase these at.
Can you send me a link if available online?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

RST Shotshells http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/2-12-Gauge.aspx?pi=2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:59 pm 
Crown Grade

https://polywad.com/shop

If you reload, you can also buy Polywad's insert to make your own spreader loads

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:19 am 
Utility Grade

So to follow up on this. Even though the chokes measure IM/F, it patterns closer to a regular M/F. I took it out and patterned it against one of my screw-in choke over under guns to see how it was shooting.

I decided I'd leave it as-is. Took it out for the first time for some chukars (dog-training/preserve birds), and it did exceptionaly well actually. I hunt with a springer, so I was able to really take my time after the flush. I knocked everyone of them down with the one barrel, exception to one which was my fault. I was expecting the birds to be totally mangled with the tight choke set up. But to my pleasant surprise, they werent bad at all.

I think I'll definitely keep it as-is. I really enjoy the looks and the way the gun shoots. The comb is a bit low for me. But I put a beretta 1/8" gel pad on the comb to fix that issue.

Considering how well priced these guns are, I'm thinking I will just buy another and open it up for woodcock.