ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: aya matador triggers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I read something on this site about the Matador having bad triggers. Does anyone know if that is with in a certain serial number range or was it all Matadors? There is a 20ga Matador on GB right know that must be a later one it has single selective trigger?

Post subject: Re: aya matador triggers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am 
Crown Grade

My experience is that it is a crap shoot on the function of the trigger on both the Matador and Matador II. Best advice I would give is see if you can shoot the gun and check how well it switches to the second barrel after firing the first. Also use the barrel selector to see if it functions the same no matter which barrel is selected to fire first. You should be able to weed out the bad ones that way. I would be reluctant to purchase any Matador that came with a three day non-firing inspection period.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would stay away from any Spanish SxS with single trigger; while some work fine they are often problematic and difficult or impossible to fix even for competent gunsmiths.

My wife had a Beretta SxS with a problematic single trigger. After 2 gunsmiths and Beretta could not make the trigger reliable she bought two SxS's, a 20 gauge Grulla and a 16 gauge Ugartechea, both with double triggers - neither has missed a beat in the years she has owned them.

She learned to shoot double trigger guns in about two boxes of cartridges and is glad she did to get the reliability of double triggers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 am 
Crown Grade

FlyChamps wrote:
I would stay away from any Spanish SxS with single trigger; while some work fine they are often problematic and difficult or impossible to fix even for competent gunsmiths.

My wife had a Beretta SxS with a problematic single trigger. After 2 gunsmiths and Beretta could not make the trigger reliable she bought two SxS's, a 20 gauge Grulla and a 16 gauge Ugartechea, both with double triggers - neither has missed a beat in the years she has owned them.

She learned to shoot double trigger guns in about two boxes of cartridges and is glad she did to get the reliability of double triggers.

I have several single trigger Spanish SXS's that perform perfectly. A 12 ga J C Higgins AYA 100 , a 12 ga AYA sidelock model 117, a 16 ga Ugartechea model 257 sidelock, two 16 ga Zabala made SXS's, one a BSA Classic and the other a TriStar Brittany. I also had a 16 ga AYA Matador II that I got off an auction site and returned because of a malfunctioning trigger. Like most things in life, you generally have more success if you are smarter than what you are working on. I don't shy away from single trigger Spanish guns, nor do I waste time on those that don't function perfectly.