ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JC Higgins/Aya repairs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:47 am 
Field Grade

I bought a 12ga JC Higgins 100 a while back and the single trigger wouldn’t switch over after the first shot. I pulled it apart and found more problems. The sears had been “fixed” by somebody previously that shouldn’t have ever been working on shotguns. I couldn’t find any parts available or good diagrams to try and fix it. I took it to a local gunsmith who said he wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole and I might have bought a paperweight. I didn’t believe it couldn’t be fixed. I then found a Higgins 100 20ga for a decent price and beautiful wood for sale so I bought it, intending to use the internals to pattern pieces for the 12ga for repair. It was shipped from Virginia to me in Pa and through UPS’s gentle touch ended up with a crack in the wrist and the wood popped out of the right side of the receiver. Now my problems multiplied. I called the guys at Lion Country Supply and they gave me a phone number for Cole Haugh Gunsmithing in Milan, Indiana. I sent Cole some pictures and he told me he could take care of it for me. I shipped both guns to him at the same time. He called me back within a week with the 20ga fixed and pricing to fix the 12. He had a stack of the sears that I couldn’t find anywhere from when he was in Eibar working at the Ugartechea shop. He also had the trigger spring I needed to fix the single trigger issue. Once he took care of that he let me know the safety wasn’t working on the 12 gauge and then proceeded to make the piece needed and temper it, which he told me he did a few times because the first two tempers weren’t right. I asked him to grind a new pad for the 20ga while he had it instead of the original plastic cap. I had both guns back in great working order within 3 weeks for a couple hundred bucks. I couldn’t believe it. I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending Cole Haugh to anyone having issues with any shotgun, especially a Spanish double. I just wanted to let you guys know there are still artists out there working on these guns and Cole is now at the top of my list.

Post subject: Re: JC Higgins/Aya repairs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:54 am 
Crown Grade

Good to know. I have filed his name away for future reference. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:49 am 
Field Grade

Telephone number ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

Haugh’s Custom Guns
4421 N. Old Milan Rd
Milan, IN 47031
(812) 654-3209

I have no affiliation with these guys. Just a very happy first time customer that sent them a curve ball which they proceeded to hit out of the park.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:06 am 
Field Grade

Thanks, I have a 16 bore Arrieta that needs some work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:13 pm 
Crown Grade

I talked to Cole Haugh on Saturday and FEDEX'd my J. C. Higgins 100 12 ga off to him today. He seems to be a very nice, knowledgeable gentleman and said it should just take a few weeks to repair that old gun. I had just about given up on anyone having parts for the gun. Thanks for the referral.