ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AYA O/U
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

I recently sold the most beautiful gun in my collection I sold it as an AYA Model 37, O/U, made in 1950. It was in pristine condition.

The buyer just e-mailed me that he had just spoke with Mr. "A" of AYA and he said the gun was made in 1950, but it was a Model 34. Does any one out there know what a model 34 was? I can find no reference to a model 34 in any of the gun book which I own. It is not mentioned in any Blue Book of Gun values I have nor in the book, SPANISH BEST by Terry Wieland. Mr. "A" did say that the gun was fitted with model 37 barrels. The buyer was well pleased but I am confused.....help!

Post subject: Re: AYA O/U
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry for the late response.

www.cornellpubs.com offers a scanned print of the 1947 AyA catalogue which lists the Models 34 and 37.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

Post subject: Re: AYA O/U
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it’s a Spanish artisanal shotgun there is probably something about it that will be puzzling to anyone accustomed to mass produced shotguns :?

The AyA model 34 and 37 over/under shotguns appear to have been functionally identical. Both models are present in the 1947 AyA catalog. In that catalog the model 34 is shown with medium depth field engraving, and the model 37 is shown with deep relief game scene engraving (and described as AyA’s “finest shotgun”).

The 1960 AyA catalog continues to list both the model 34 and the model 37, but the model 34 is crossed out with the hand notation “Discontinued”.