ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Makers to avoid
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:59 am 
Diamond Grade

What Spanish doubles/brands/makers to stay away from as far as quality?

Post subject: Re: Makers to avoid
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd say "none." All the makers, past and present, made pretty much the same guns at any given price point at any given time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Kyrie wrote:
I'd say "none." All the makers, past and present, made pretty much the same guns at any given price point at any given time.

Do you mean that they’re all good, but they vary in quality of wood, engraving, etc.?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:47 pm 
Crown Grade

The operative advice I've been hearing for years is: Buy the gun, not the maker. The exception to that advice might be the guns sold as Pride of Spain or POS for short.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
The operative advice I've been hearing for years is: Buy the gun, not the maker. The exception to that advice might be the guns sold as Pride of Spain or POS for short.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Riflemeister wrote:

Right on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
Kyrie wrote:

Do you mean that they’re all good, but they vary in quality of wood, engraving, etc.?

In part, yes. Price point of an artisanal Spanish shotgun is largely determined by how much skilled labor goes in to assembling the shotgun. More engraving costs more than less engraving, and complex and difficult to execute engraving patterns cost more than simple and easy to execute engraving patterns.

Please note the phrase above "assembling the shotgun". Artisanal Spanish shotgun makers don't generally make the parts that go into the shotguns they sell under their name. Rather they buy semi-finished, or roughed out, parts from a network of small shops each of which that specializes in some set of parts, pieces, or assemblies. Each maker then hand fits and assembles shotguns, each shotgun to some specific characteristics as requested by some specific customer, from these parts purchased "on the trade."

In relatively rare cases a set of defective parts (usual defect is lack of proper heat treatment) will get into the network of parts, pass undetected by a shotgun maker into a shotgun they assemble, and go out to a customer. All the shotgun makers are vulnerable to this form of pollution, and may become its victim. It’s rare, but it happens.

Hence, “buy the gun, not the maker’s name”.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:12 pm 
Utility Grade

My first real shotgun, after Dad had gotten me through my first year of hunting with the prerequisite single barrel shotgun, was a 20 gauge double made by Eusebio d' Arizaga. It was a sidelock with a modest amount of engraving, stocked with quite a lot of cast off in what appeared to be a figured piece of French or English Walnut. As near as I could tell chokes were full, full and some more full in both barrels. I shot it pretty well, but it was stocked very straight with a sharp comb and it got on your cheek good whenever you had the proper weld. The day came when the right barrel began misfiring, then it got to where it misfired more than it went off. I took it to our local gunsmith, one of the really good ones, and he took the right lock out. The hammer nose was much deformed from impact with the firing pin, obviously the harder part. He made a longer firing pin, and it worked for awhile more. Eventually I retired and sold it, a victim of soft parts. If I had it today I would get out hammers or whatever else it needed from proper steels, but I had not the necessary skill level at the time. It sure was a nice little double though.