ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Purdey Hidden Lock
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey all
Spotted another receiver, this time with the third fastener Purdey style. How many of the Spanish makers utilized this? So far I am holding off adding Spanish receivers to the on deck pile. Reading here in the forum, I get the distinct feeling the various parts forgings were bought in Eibar via an open market, and the guns were hand built and assembled from there by the various Basque makers. Tiny variations in dimensions are inevitable and most parts are gonna be out the wrong way, lacking metal where it needs to be, and having metal where you don't need it. They are such damn beautiful things though they might just be worth the extra trouble. I am weakening.

Post subject: Re: Purdey Hidden Lock
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

I believe that Pedro Arrizabalaga copied the hidden third fastener of Purdey into some of their guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Made come from standardized forgings or castings, but the maker having a set of files plus 30 years of experience, 40+ hours of labor and voila the pile of parts is turned into one new shotgun. So the parts are all hand fitted and so each gun is unique.

More or less the same as a Morgan sports car - "mass produced" -- every one exactly the same since the 1930's ---- that is each and every body panel has been made with the same set of hammers.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I think I can safely state that these shotguns are better purchased as complete fitted guns. It is sad that so many of them have gotten stripped for parts, judging by the amount of Spanish shotgun parts out there. A guy would be better off purchasing a forged or cast replacement part and fitting it himself, except for the fact that I am no engraver. The only thing cooler than a round Greener cross bolt, is a square Greener cross bolt, the only thing cooler than a square Greener cross bolt is a Kersten Lock, and the only thing cooler than a Kersten lock is a Purdey third lock. I just gotta play with some of these.