ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eagle Shot any Good?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:20 pm 
Field Grade

I just ordered 100 lbs of Eagle Magnum #8. I have always used Lawrence Magnum and have been very satisfied with it.

Lawrence is getting hard to find and expensive.

I just wonder how Eagle compares? They claim 5% antimony and high hardness.

Any experience with patterning this stuff? Made in Peru.

Post subject: Re: Eagle Shot any Good?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Eagle is OK. It does not pattern as well as Lawrence or West Coast.

However for casual skeet, trap and sporting clays I don't think that you would be upset using it.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I believe the Eagle Shot from Perue,is slightly smaller than the regular.U.S,standard shot?,but it shoots fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I've found Eagle runs smaller than Lawrence, but it only really causes me a problem when the Eagle #9s stick in my charge bar. Eagle 8s are fine, but are more like 8.5s.

Don't really know anything about the antimony content. But they seem to break clays as well as anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I much prefer Lawrence but shoot Eagle because that is all I could get the last time I bought shot. I also find the Eagle runs a little smaller than the Lawrence. Actually I just consider the Eagle normal now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:29 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

When buying Eagle shot, I try to get 8.5, as I think the size control is better. On Eagle 9's, anything that passes through the size 9 sieve gets included. Man, some of the shot in there is about #12.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
When buying Eagle shot, I try to get 8.5, as I think the size control is better. On Eagle 9's, anything that passes through the size 9 sieve gets included. Man, some of the shot in there is about #12.

Yup. I don't mind having it in there for skeet loads but the Eagle #9 with its tiny pellets jams the universal charge bar of my newest MEC 600Jr. with frustrating regularity. I have no troubles with it in the normal charge bars I use in my MEC 9000G or other 600Jrs.

I just came upstairs from the basement reloading bench. I was loading some 20ga. skeet loads on the aforementioned MEC 600Jr. As soon as the small bottle of Eagle #9 was empty, I refilled it with Lawrence 8.5. No more jams...

The next Eagle shot I buy will include some bags of 8.5s.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 pm 
Field Grade

I've been using Eagle shot for a while, and other than some shot size discrepancy in #9 shot, never had any other issue. Seems to hit just as hard as Lawrence shot. Try to use the #8 shot only for this reason. Will keep buying it as it is still much cheaper since I can find it in store more often.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Been using Eagle for a couple years, when I do my part the target breaks, when I don't, it's not the shots fault.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

About all that is available here, about $12 a bag more than reclaimed.... 7.5's run small but shot seems round and consistent in sizing. The free freight from Cabelas lets one shoot new without breaking the bank.... Larry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am 
Diamond Grade

Been using it for many years. Performs well on clays and doves. I use Lawrence for pheasants.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:32 am 
Diamond Grade

Eagle appears similar/same as the Peru AllStar we bought in the '80s. Like Eagle that stuff was very soft, and patterns reflected this. The other import StarShot that came from Argentina was far better/harder stuff.

Finished last of my Eagle stash about the time I took in some Lawrence "chilled" #7.5s from a guy who no longer shoots. Had never used "chilled" Lawrence or West Coast. So did a crude pliers crush comparison. The Eagle #7.5s lost, were softer. By alot. Which tells me something.

As to whether to purchase Eagle vs spending more for WC or STS, first consider what you're doing. If skeet or soft 5-stand - or just want some soft shot loads - Eagle is suitable.

Another consideration: density. Shot is priced/sold by weight. But we dispense it volumetrically (unless you adjust your shot drops). A 1 oz MEC 502 throws less of the better stuff. Eg. my bar throws over 430 gr Eagle, only about 415 gr WC. That partially mitigates against the lower Eagle acquisition price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Its good for skeet. Its all I can find locally and ordering shoot is expensive.