ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mec Universal Charge Bar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Luke485 wrote:
I use Lawrence chilled magnum shot and I was getting significantly light shot weights (more than 10%) with the standard Mec bar.

There is no question that adding antimony or other hardening agents to lead reduces its density causing light throws for a given volume. However, 10% is way too high - there must have been some other problem. My "back-of-the-envelope" calculations show that 6% antimony added to pure lead will only give about a 2% decrease in density.

That being said, I use a UCB and like it. I can tune it to whatever the density of my shot is and get my full ounce (or whatever). You never know when that extra 2% will come in handy. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Pickman wrote:
That being said, I use a UCB and like it. I can tune it to whatever the density of my shot is and get my full ounce (or whatever). You never know when that extra 2% will come in handy. :lol:

It is nice being able to tune a load, but I am not a fan of the UCB. So I bought a couple of the Custom shot bars that use MEC bushings for shot as well as powder. Not as adjustable as the dial on the UCB, but offers enough to make me happy. Simply change the bushing to change your charge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 am 
Field Grade

I am sure the UCB is a good product, but the experience I had was bad. It came on a used steelmaster and every 10th shell it would vary +/- 2 grns. That may not hurt shooting lead but shooting steel I noticed very inconsistent patterns, so I eventually sold mine. I hope yours works for you better than mine did for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 am 

LawsonH wrote:
I am sure the UCB is a good product, but the experience I had was bad. It came on a used steelmaster and every 10th shell it would vary +/- 2 grns. That may not hurt shooting lead but shooting steel I noticed very inconsistent patterns, so I eventually sold mine. I hope yours works for you better than mine did for me.

What powder were you using in that loading that had that variation?

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 am 
Crown Grade

The only powder I ever had vary that much (and it DID vary that much) was/is Alliant STEEL.

Fortunately for me I don't use a lot of it so working with it isn't so bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am 
Field Grade

Curly N wrote:
LawsonH wrote:

I was using Alliant Steel powder. It doesn't meter well in anything, I just started hand weighing everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:01 pm 

LawsonH wrote:
Curly N wrote:
LawsonH wrote:

I was using Alliant Steel powder. It doesn't meter well in anything, I just started hand weighing everything.

Your problem is exactly why users of "Steel" are advised to weigh every charge and to not use a volumetric measure.
Has nothing to do with your "made to fit a MEC, Universal Charge Bar", that is not made by MEC.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Yep. I can't get close, repeatable, charge throws from my Lyman 55 measure, full, half full, baffle, no baffle, haven't found the magic yet, so I throw light, eeigh, and adjust every one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get yourself an RCBS 1500 automatic powder dispenser while there is still a rebate and it will accurately dispense powder about as quickly as you can load them on a single stage press

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been back and forth on whether or not to buy a UCB for my presses. My only real desire was because they list instructions for loading ASteel powder. After talking with the guys from Alliant they said that have tried it and it was too inconsistent given the elasticity and bulk of the powder. So I just weigh it and go from there. I have thought of getting a Hornady or an RCBS scale that feeds the powder and weighs it automatically. I hear good things about those and have seen videos on YouTube of folks using them with ASteel. I just can’t turn loose of the $250+ it takes to buy one. But maybe someday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 am 
Field Grade

Curly,
I decided to give the UCB another shot but this time on a Mec 650 loading 20 gauge for skeet and its awesome. I had never said I had a problem with the charge bar it just didn't work for the application I had needed with the first UCB.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am 
Field Grade

Did the company that makes these universal charge bars go out of business?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

DuckPerry wrote:
Did the company that makes these universal charge bars go out of business?

Yes, Multiscale of Canada is out of business, It appears that Ballistic Products is going into production on their own version of an adjustable bar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I have 2 universal charge bars for mec single stage reloaders. I would be willing to trade for something if you want them.