Shotgun Forum banner

Show me your workbench!

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Hummy585 
#1 ·
I have a full set of Mec hydraulic loaders, and would like to set up a workbench to hold all 4 loaders, and run them off one manifold.

What looks and works good? What are the dimensions, set up for components, etc.?

I know someone has a good set up, I'd appreciate learning from you.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I keep one on the bench and other three on the shelf, I use a quick disconnect. I do not have all four on the bench at one time. A friend made a circle out of plywood and placed all loaders on the plywood and used a metal base to rotate each machine into place when he wanted to load.

#3 ·
I started with one loader bolted to a bench. As more presses and other tools came, they took their place bolted to the bench until I had an 8' bench jam-packed with tools.

When we moved, I didn't take the bench with me. I decided less is more and now I have a tiny bench with no tools attached. There are four holes drilled in the bench with threaded inserts on the underside. These are used to attach two oak boards, roughly 2 1/2" x 10" with a 45 degree chamfer on one side, facing down. Every tool is attached to an oak plate with a 45 degree chamber facing up. This slides between the boards mounted to the benchtop and are clamped down. When done, the tool is returned to a storage rack and the clamp boards removed from the benchtop, leaving a clear surface that can be used as a regular bench.

#4 ·
If you have plenty of room and several machines an old shuffle board table works great. I use an old solid oak high school science lab table with the MEC quick change base. I load while sitting in a chair and it works for me.

#6 ·
It really isn't all that difficult, but it sure as heck is on a iPhone!

#7 ·
mdlott,

Download the Imgur app. and setup your account. Doesn't cost a dime and they don't ask for CC info.

Take a picture. Upload it to Imgur. Click on the pic you just uploaded on the Imgur app and hit the Copy button on the BBcode option. Paste the BBcode to your post on SGW......done...like magic.

Extremely simple once you do it a couple three times.

I have the App on both my phone and computer. I use the phone to upload the pic to Imgur and my computer to post the pic here on SGW......I hate typing with my thumbs. :mrgreen: . Heck I am not good at typing period :lol: :lol:

#8 ·
mdlott said:
This thread certainly displays the difficulty of posting pictures to this sight.
Couldn't agree more! There have been times when I posted the pics to Trapshooters.com, and then linked to that post for a post I made here!

I was using Photobucket in the past. But they started charging, and the service was horrible if you stayed on the "free" part of it.

#10 ·
^^^That's more or less what I did but nothing is kept on the bench.

#12 ·
Scout80 said:
Here's my bench. I had four reloaders when I decided to build the slide in plate. I think I have six now. I found this design online somewhere so the slide in plate idea isn't mine.

You can find the full backstory on the 28 gauge forum.

This is effing brilliant!

I hope you don't have a patent on it, because I'm going to copy this.

#13 ·
How does it stay in place while in operation? It would seem some simple flip down levers or similar would do the trick

#16 ·
Do you have enough clearance to tile those bottles back to unload?

#18 ·
I don't have room for a bigger, better setup. But, I only load 12 & 28, so I just change the machine on the Automate.
Here's mine anyway...

#20 ·
mdlott said:
This thread certainly displays the difficulty of posting pictures to this sight.
I honestly don't know how the site sponsors could make posting photos any easier without taking on the hosting responsibility and expense themselves.

If you sign up for a FREE photo hosting site like Imgur, it only takes a couple of clicks to post on Shotgun World. Once you upload your photo to Imgur, open the image and select the BBCode URL. Imgur automatically copies the link into your pasteboard.

From there, all you need to do is paste the link into your text message on Shotgun World. You don't even need to select the IMG tag button because the BBcode link includes the tags.

Again, super simple . . .

#25 ·
oneounceload said:
How does it stay in place while in operation? It would seem some simple flip down levers or similar would do the trick
If you are referring to my setup I would answer, "quite well." The slot is a tight fit on both sides and the back. You can't see it in the picture but the base is extended on both sides and the back. I measure my powder drops on a scale every 10-15 drops or so and they are very consistent.

To answer another question - Can you tilt the bottles back to refill them?" Only the short ones. If I'm loading a lot of shells and need the tall bottle of shot I have to fill it up first then slide the reloader into place. It's only an extra step if I forget.

What's not in the picture is the 10 foot long 2 foot deep shelf full of boxes and plastic bins holding everything not on the bench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.