ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can you vacuum up gun powder???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I might make sure I use a clean vacuum, not one half full of sawdust. Doesn’t take much Of an ignition source to set that off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Magnets for primers, hand held cordless vacuum for powder...... Larry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 am 
Crown Grade

I don't use my Shop-Vac for powder spills. The reloading bench has a perimeter of 1/2" x 1/2" wood moulding to contain any spilled shot (or powder). One corner has a drainage gap with a plug. Any shot or powder spills are swept into that corner with a horsehair draftsman's dust brush for easy collection. Should stray shot find its way under the bases of my reloading presses, a gentle blast from a can of keyboard dust destroyer will move the shot into the open to be swept up.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

McFarmer wrote:
I might make sure I use a clean vacuum, not one half full of sawdust. Doesn’t take much Of an ignition source to set that off.

Although, to be realistic, that "1/2-fill of sawdust" is settled and packed in the bottom of the Shop-Vac, nothing stirs it, and for it to be the least bit "interestingly flammable", you have to airborne the sawdust.

Go ahead, test this, pour you a 1/2-5-gal. bucket-full of sawdust, walk away for a half hour, then go try to light the mass of sawdust in the bucket.

It'll light, because it's cellulose fiber, but flame has to propagate from 1 piece to the next, BUT, each piece has only the pieces directly next to it and they are all packed by gravity into a pile without a nice airspace between them.

If the bucket scares you, pour it out straight on the ground and light the side of it.

It is only "interesting" if you can airborne it into a 'cloud' of particles.

Settled all you get is a fire, a boring, slow, fire you could roast marshmallows over.