ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC red ??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I bought an 8567 Grabber from a guy at the club that shot for years, but has always left his reloading equipment in the pole barn.

So, there's a surface rust issue to deal with... On top of that, when things got squeaky...he would spray WD-40 or this "white" ORV lubricant on the MEC and keep on chugging out shells. so, there's years worth of gunk stuck to grease.

I've got the reloader and have been trying to figure out how to "strip it" and possibly repaint if I have to...(I'm not too worried about the paint, but figure if I've got it torn down, I might as well paint it.)

Any thoughts, suggestions, points to consider when taking on this project?

What color red? anyone got a "number" for the color?

Thanks in advance.
Maggs

Post subject: Re: MEC red ??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

In times past, I have bought machines like that. Sitting for a day or two in a barrel of diesel that you kick a couple of times every hour or so takes care of the biggest, nastiest pieces - then a trip to the car wash.

It looks like "I'm not the Waitress" to me, but call MEC. They may even have a pint of paint they'll sell you.

GS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Just go to Wal-Mart. They have Crylon spray paint that matches the MEC Red very well. You can't tell the difference from factory paint.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought a Jr kind of like that one time - I used kerosene & steel wool to clean mine up. GS has a good suggestion if the diesel idea is pratical for you.

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mine were five 600 Jnrs. During season the guy lived in a tarpaper shack on the bay and loaded 12 and 10 as needed. Lubrication or maintenance were foreign concepts to him. When they quit working, he bought another one and stuck the old one in a hay-barn out back. Yeah, there was some 'surface rust' ... too, in addition to the REAL rust and corrosion of all the non-ferrous parts.

They cleaned up remarkably well, but it was fortunate that agricultural diesel was 18¢m too.

GS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I too picked up an abused Grabber that needed a good home. A good spray down with Foaming Engine Cleaner and I let it set for a couple of hours and the old grease and crud just melted away. Break Cleaner worked good on those troubled hard to reach spots, just remember to re-lube.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How do you re-lube? I'm calling MEC at lunch time.

Maggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I got a 650 once that had been neglected. It wasn't nearly as bad as some of you have described but it had rust all over it. I disagssembled it and used a Dremel tool with a wire brush on all the pieces. The chrome pieces came out all shiny and pretty. The painted surfaces were made dull by the wire brush but it did clean off the rust. It worked OK until I sold it to get a Grabber.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chevy Red... Gotta love the service at MEC. I ordered my extra parts and all will be good!

Maggs