ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12g. Reloader Recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was looking into buying a reloader, but am not sure on the make to get. I hear that MEC (Mayville Engineering Company) was a great company. I'm looking for one that has the charge bar, primer feed-tray, is progressive, and not too pricey. I would like the use to be for Turkey, goose, duck and various vermin. Although, I do shoot trap as a lesiure.

RemingtonII
Shotgun Expert
(1/27/03 8:28:55 am)
Reply Good site for MEC reloading
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw a site called www.expertreloader.com that looked interesting for MEC people. Not a reloader myself, so I cannot judge the site....just looked interesting.

BigDMan
Unregistered User
(1/27/03 12:04:26 pm)
Reply Reply
Thanks Remington...I've been checking the webpages to get a price list. I'll keep that address handy. Thankyou again.

IK13
Unregistered User
(1/27/03 3:41:40 pm)
Reply 12g reloading
I am sort of in your pposition.
I was thinking of getting a progressive press (MEC 9000G), but it seems that if you want to reload non toxic shot (steel, bismith, hevi-shot), then you have to do it on a single stage. That's because you'll need to hand weight the shot (might be the powder too). Apparently it doesn't measure well with charge bars?
(even one of these adjustable "universal" ones? If anybody has some input - please).
I don't know how hard it would be to actually do it with a progressive press. Or can you "switch"/"change" the progressive press and use it as a single stage for those loads...

Besides that I pretty much settled on MEC Sizemaster (single stage)

BigDMan
(1/27/03 4:29:18 pm)
Reply Sizemaster...9000...650...What's best???
lK13...thanks for the response...Have you bought the Sizemaster yet. How is it working for you if so? You've raised a great question about using steel shot in a progressive reloader. I haven't thought about that. Anymore info on these reloaders would be wonderful. I also need to keep in mind about the ability to get parts efficiently. I live in North East Oregon where I'm rather far from any manufacturers. So I would rather stick with a model that is still manufactured. (Sorry Mec 600 jr. and Versamec 700)

Edited by: BigDMan at: 1/27/03 3:39:57 pm

BigDMan
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(1/30/03 5:01:16 am)
Reply An update to my reloaders...
I've broke down and bought a MEC 650 for $152.00. I think it'll get some great use.
When women hold off from marrying men, we call it independence. When men hold off from marrying women, we call it fear of commitment.

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(2/28/03 9:42:35 am)
Reply MEC
Unless something has changed, MEC has many places that you can get parts including them. Parts for the whole line are available as far as I know, as is having one sent back to them to have it refurb'd for little money.

Steel reloading posses a problem as Alliant Steel powder does not meter well, it can vary several grains based on how you pull the arm on the loader, if the bottle is full, 1/2 full, etc, it is a "bulky" powder. Steel pellets in the large sizes can be an issue as they dont tend to meter well either.

There is a steel loading setup using steel charge bars, that "if" set correctly you can reload accurately. One of the guys that I learned from uses a progressive setup and an adjustable charge bar. Once you get familiar with the way the powder or the shot is supposed to look you can tell by eye if there is too much or too little. It is still a good idea to weight every so often to check and IF you have any questions about a shell, check it then. When I first setup I check every 5th shell and after the loader settles and I get in the rhythem I may check every 10th shell.

Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(3/4/03 2:42:17 am)
ezSupporter
Re: MEC
There's a MEC 650 on our front page (shameless plug).

Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com
Shotgunworld.com

Instinctive Shooter
Frequent SW Visitor
(3/4/03 8:51:27 am)
Reply Re: Reloader recommendation...
Hey, y'all,
There ARE other brands besides MEC! I know people like SCG are prejudiced, but c'mon, there is more to life than Browning and MEC . Actually, I got my first loader in 1972 as a gift. I was newly married, and the poor thing thought she was doing herself a favor! Little did she know... . It was a 650 MEC, and I used it faithfully until around 1995 when I started shooting registered trap. A friend of mine was continually quitting and restarting, and when he did he always sold everything he had. I bought his PW 950 progressive and sold the MEC. The next year he sold out again, and I bought his 900 PW, sold the 950 for more than I paid for it and have been using the 900 every since. Is it better than a MEC?Nope, and when something does break, man are the parts expensive. I know that I load a lot, but it has cost me more in parts than the 650 cost plus all of the goodies I bought for it in the ensuing 20 plus years. The Ponsness can turn out some fine shells, but not enough better to be worth the added cost. I wanted to add the hydraulic unit to it, but after pricing one I changed my mind. About all it would do for me is save my arthritic elbow and MAYBE afford a little more consistency to my loads. What would I buy new today? Probably a MEC 9000H, and only the H (hydraulic) over a Grabber to save my elbow. If anyone is looking for a 20 ga 900 with all the newest goodies added to it (die removal system, new powder/shot container, etc) I know where there is one for around $450. The retail on this unit is around $800, and it has been used very little. So, see how good of a deal the MECs are.

ShooterZ
Frequent SW Visitor
(3/8/03 2:11:44 am)
Reply Re: Reloader recommendation...
Bought a like-new MEC on E-bay for $60. Came with die kits for 20, 16 and 12. Look there and you should be able to find a good deal.

Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(3/30/03 11:26:03 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: 12g. Reloader Recommendation
(Orginally posted by Rick61
Spolar
I looked at one of these with a hydraulic unit and that is one awsome peice of equipment.

The MEC 600jr that I use is so more than enough for what I want, although I think I will end up with a progressive as the speed of reloading clays shells is much better.

The MEC line is well known, parts are readily available, and the cost is reasonable.
Shotgunworld.com

Forensic Guy
Unregistered User
(4/2/03 3:04:13 pm)
Reply reloader
I think the MEC's are the best buy for the money. I used a 600jr since 1985 and Pa is still loading shells for trap league on it. I went to a Sizemaster then to a 9000G because of the volume I'm shooting now. A case on Sun. for practice and 4 boxes a week for league.

I used to load buckshot & slugs on the Sizemaster too. I gave up when it came to steel & non-toxic shot though. It is a real headache to do steel. A friend of mine tried it and the hulls don't seal well at the crimp and after a wet day he had rusty slugs instead of steel shot. Not good.

victorlvlb
Frequent SW Visitor
(4/5/03 9:50:53 pm)
Reply Re: reloader
Have you tried buying bismuth shot ? I've tried to find it for the last two weeks, with no luck.My gun shop owner can not find a place to order from.

Lex Talio
Reloading Advisor
(4/6/03 11:01:28 am)
Reply Re: reloader
All of these machines are good and have high points. I have used many over the years. After allis said and done.......I have to go with Ponsness-Warren. When I was playing around with shells I needed in large quantities, I used their progressive loader. Now that I do specialized ammo more, it's the Mod 375 I turn to. I have always felt that the shell staying in the die throughout loading was a good idea.
Really It's what you like........Best Regards, James