ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: scales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am wondering if any one has a recommendation of a scale for weighing powders,shot and other misc things. I am looking for a good one that I do not need to replace within a year. I am also going to use it for rifle and pistol reloading in the future.

Instinctive Shooter
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(4/10/03 6:18:34 am)
Reply Re: scales
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cooters,
Are you considering a digital scale? I don't have any experience with those, but the Lyman I have been using works fine. I tried a couple of others before I bought this one, and they didn't weigh consistently from one check to the next. Only "problem" is that it is a 500 grain model, so you should determine first what your maximum drop/check will be and buy accordingly. I would recommend the Lyman brand wholeheartedly.

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(4/10/03 9:21:07 am)
Reply Dillon
I have a Dillon digital, it is a super scale.

From guntests:

www.gun-tests.com/perform...scale.html

Back Fork Bill
Unregistered User
(4/10/03 10:11:44 am)
Reply Reply
cooters:

As "Instinctive Shooter" says, he finds a limitation in the 500 grain model. I swithced over to a Lyman 1000, with 1005 grain capacity. This is a big asset if you intend to weigh shot charges. One step will do it for you.

I can highly recommend the Lyman scale, but if you choose to go with another make/type, be sure to get the 1000 grain capacity model.

BFB

Lex Talio
Reloading Advisor
(4/10/03 11:27:19 am)
Reply Re: Reply
Another thought I want to throw in here on scales and weighing shot......there is a difference in weight between soft lead shot, hard lead shot, copper plated shot, and nickel plated shot. Don't trust your bushing. Most bushings were set to throw their advertised weight with #7 1/2 hard shot (claybird) and will throw light with large plated shot. For those of us that develop specialized loads.....a scale that tops at 500 grs is worthless. Best Regards, James Gates