Shotgun Forum banner

TOP THREADS Incl. Tips and Tricks for all major reloaders

151K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  groyce 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In an effort to clean up the forum a little, I thought I would un-sticky some of the threads and use this as a road map to reach them.

If you have a suggestion for a thread you think we should add, please let me know! :)

E-Z and Complete Mec Press collet lube process,+Grabber NEW <<<<Link

Thread creator: Curly-Nohair
Topic: Great information on lubrication of your MEC Reloaders

Wad substitution chart

Thread creator: GCBluerock
Topic: Chart and information re: Downrange Manufacturing wads and their popular applications

Black, Bulk & Smokeless Powder, and Dram Equivalent

Thread Creator: Drew Hause
Topic: Chart for Black, Bulk & Smokeless Powder, and Dram Equivalents.

Milsurp WC820 .410 powder chronograph results

Thread creator: Case
Topic: Information on the use of Milsurp WC820 as a .410 propellant

Triggering the lite fantastic

Thread creator: Case
Topic: Thread and attached article on the advantage of lite loads in the different gauges

Lots of great information about loading 3/4 oz in a 20 Gauge

Thread creator: Dave in AZ
Topic: Information gathered together about loading 3/4 oz of shot in a 20 gauge

3/4 oz. loads and a Mec 9000

Thread creator: Down Range Manufacturing
Topic: Reloading 3/4 OZ loads with the DR XXL Orange Wad

Neil Winston's Site on Shell and Chrono Testing

Thread creator: dogchaser37
Topic: Various articles on chrono testing, recoil, pressure and what affects them.

Anyone wanting to make lead shot, Here is a great thread

Thread creator: jmartin79
Topic: Various methods, tips and tools for making your own lead shot

Picture Guides with instructions for Mec Progressive presses

Thread creator: Curly-Nohair
Topic: How-to for adjusting MEC Presses

Interesting Discussion and Explanation of recoil in a shotgun. <<<<<LINK

Thread creator: Dr. Mike
Topic. Thorough explanation of shotgun recoil and what to expect

Tips and tricks for a Hornady 366 progressive reloader <<<<<Link

Topic: Tips and tricks for a Hornady 366 progressive reloader submitted by users of the press.
Thread creator: mountain4don

Tips and tricks for Ponsness-Warren reloading presses

Topic: All kinds of helpful info on Ponsness-Warren reloading presses. This has been compiled by some of the best Ponsness-Warren mechanics in the hobby.
Thread creator: USMCThaxton86

Topic about Powder Bushings for Nobel Sport Vectan Powders

Topic: This is gives a source for a bushing chart for Nobel Sport Vectan powders. There is a list of Mec and Ponsness Warren Bushings. Be sure to verify that you are getting results that are expected by using a known accurate scale.

Thread creator: Shoot2reload
Why are certain powders used in some reloads and not in others?

Topic: This topic attempts to explain why you find some powders are or are not suggested for usage in some applications. It also shows why you should have the application in mind and should have done some research prior to buying a powder.

Bushing sizes across the major brands of presses, Shot and powder bushings.
This is a compilation of Bushing measurements in inch decimal measurements to help get an idea of their comparable sizes. There are size listings for shot drop diameters as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
seems like this question gets asked quite a bit,or something like it.

what's a good, low recoiling 1 oz load.

the one i use was suggested by DL and Curly here it is

12 ga.
AA hull
DR-A Pink Wad
17.5 or as close as my bushings throw of Red Dot
W209 primer or one of the substitites
1 oz. shot

12 ga
Gun Club Hull
DR-XL-1 Wad
the rest same as above.

i know that other wads and powder will work,but this is the one i like and use for all the clay games i play :D

just a thought and have others list their safe loads as well.

#3 ·
I notice two of the suggested sticky threads are from Case. I learned a he!! of a lot from Case anybody know if he's still ticking?

I guess I miss him.

I learned a lot from Curly-Nohair too, I just don't miss him too often. :p

^77

#9 ·
Look on the back side of the press to see if the index spring is intact and if the steel ball is under the tongue of the copper spring.

Sometimes the part that I show colored white breaks off.

It is not normally white.

#10 ·
I wonder if you could offer me your advice or opinion. Here is my situation. Ive read a number posts here and appreciate your contributions.

Since I'm not big on tinkering or changing something that works I've been reloading the same recipe for years and years but got thrown off a little when I returned to shooting (kids) and didn't know Winchester changed there hulls. With your help I stopped pulling my hair out and switched to gun club hulls and the sort and got back on track. Well now that the kids are almost grown I've gotten back into shooting even got a golf cart and find myself getting low on my beloved windjammer wads I've had stored for a decade. Now grant you this recipe harkens back to my ATA days and it is as follows. For 12 ga.either 18.4 or 19.6 Clays 1-1/8 oz shot win 209 primers and original windjammer wads.

My question is a simple one- what wad would you recommend that I could interchange and not skip a beat. I shoot mostly sporting clays at this stage btw.. Thank you for your time..

#11 ·
Both loads that you are using are above any weight listed at the Hodgdon website. So I suggest that you go ahead and prepare yourself to make more than one change to get within suggested pressure levels with your loads.

This will be where you want to go look.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

#12 ·
Curly, I copied below from Hodgdon site, what am I missing? I certainly don't want any mistakes at this stage? Thanks for your input.

Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 Windjammer 16.8 7,700 PSI 1090
Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 Windjammer 18.1 9,100 PSI 1145
Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 Windjammer 19.4 10,500 PSI 1200

Doublemchecked and actually using a 35 bushing which gives 19.4 listed and verified by scale +/- .1-2

#13 ·
Well I must have missed that listing for windjammers, sorry for the confusion. If you look for the loads with other wads it seems to be less powder. I thought that you wanted to get away from the WJ wads? I really like the Downrange DRA series for usage in the AA hulls. They use the AA recipes.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

#16 ·
Total and utter despair!!!!!!!!! WHere has the 50 page "who makes their own shot" post gone to. I am really in need of the information on this thread.
I have the link to this saved on my computer and have tried to acess ot through this topic but this is all I get. "The requested topic does not exist".
Any Ideas?

#21 ·
hopper810 said:
seems like this question gets asked quite a bit,or something like it.

what's a good, low recoiling 1 oz load.

the one i use was suggested by DL and Curly here it is

12 ga.
AA hull
DR-A Pink Wad
17.5 or as close as my bushings throw of Red Dot
W209 primer or one of the substitites
1 oz. shot

12 ga
Gun Club Hull
DR-XL-1 Wad
the rest same as above.

i know that other wads and powder will work,but this is the one i like and use for all the clay games i play :D

just a thought and have others list their safe loads as well.
I use the 12 ga load immediately above, and it loads, shoots just fine. DLM has blessed this load for me.

#22 ·
oldthompson said:
I notice two of the suggested sticky threads are from Case. I learned a he!! of a lot from Case anybody know if he's still ticking?

I guess I miss him.

^77
Curly knows more about MEC reloaders than MEC does!!

#23 ·
labloverva said:
oldthompson said:

I guess I miss him.

^77
Curly knows more about MEC reloaders than MEC does!!
Nope, still learning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.