ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000 vs. RCBS Grand
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like my MEC 9000G a lot and it produces excellent shotshells. *But* it is not the smoothest piece of machinery I have ever operated. Just viewed this video of the RCBS Grand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6tOFHq-QnI and it looks smoother and easier to operate than the 9000.

Other than their respective costs, what are the primary differences between the two presses?

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000 vs. RCBS Grand
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm 

uncle-buck wrote:
I like my MEC 9000G a lot and it produces excellent shotshells. *But* it is not the smoothest piece of machinery I have ever operated. Just viewed this video of the RCBS Grand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6tOFHq-QnI and it looks smoother and easier to operate than the 9000.

Other than their respective costs, what are the primary differences between the two presses?

I can help you with the 9000, I will not try with the RCBS as no advice is better than wrong advice. :mrgreen: Not many folks here that offer fix-it help on that press.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curly, the ability to call on you and the other members of this forum is certainly a compelling reason to go with/stay with MEC reloaders. I really appreciate all of your helpful, generous advice and assistance to date.

Are you using any MEC presses with either the hydraulic or Auto-Mate setups? It sure would be nice to speed up the process. Thanks again for all you do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm 

uncle-buck wrote:
Curly, the ability to call on you and the other members of this forum is certainly a compelling reason to go with/stay with MEC reloaders. I really appreciate all of your helpful, generous advice and assistance to date.

Are you using any MEC presses with either the hydraulic or Auto-Mate setups? It sure would be nice to speed up the process. Thanks again for all you do.

I use 4 9000 GN presses that are set up to swap onto an Automate unit. I can make the swap and be ready to add powder, shot and primers in less than minute. I have never been privy to running a Hydraulic unit, but I repaired hydraulics for 30 plus years and have no desire to do it in my place. I can leave the Automate turned on for a month at a time and it never makes a sound until I push the buttons, and it has yet to ooze a drop of oil. Take notice, I am opinionated about this and have no desire to argue the benefits of any other reloader drive, nor will I. I have made up my mind about this subject and refuse to be confused by any body else's opinion or facts, however erroneous they might be. :mrgreen:

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's a pretty strong endorsement of the MEC 9000 and Auto-Mate, Curly.
Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Couldn't agree with Curly more.I run 3 9000's and a Grabber on my Automate.
Have repaired /tuned-up MEC hydraulic units at peoples homes.That is why I
bought an Automate.With hydraulics it is not if they leak it is when they do.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:17 pm 
Limited Edition

My closest shooting friend sold his Grabber and purchased an RCBS Grand. He fought it for over a year before giving up. There are apparently one or more plastic parts that break because they should have been made of metal. RCBS was extremely helpful in phone support and readily shipped replacement parts at no cost. Unfortunately, the parts they sent were just exact duplicates of the ones that broke. In disgust he sold it and bought a 9000. He has been extremely happy since.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I have the Grand - bought it used - and have the 20 gauge conversion kit for it as well. I have owned the 9000 in the past. Both have their pros and cons - the pros for the Grand were two for me: - a conversion kit so my limited space wasn't too full with 2 machines; the second - and most important - was the "no hull, no powder or shot drop" feature - something the 9000 doesn't have and can cause a mess when things go awry as they always seem to. The Grand is an 8 station press with 3 crimp stations - I can drain both the powder and shot without having to tile slim-necked bottles over backwards. RCBS will send me any parts I need for free - forever. It has a spent-primer drop tube to a bottle that the MEC does not

Downsize is the price compared to the MEC, at least when new. Some folks complain about some of the plastic parts on the RCBS - but they were designed that way, and to fail, if too much pressure is applied when something is wrong - breaks a part, but saves the press

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 pm 
Limited Edition

I have had a Grand for about 4 years.I had a problem at first until I learn how to adjust it.
It is a good loader and the service is great. It is not as tiring to run as a mec. I mounted mine low it is not as hard on my old shoulders.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Just bought a mec 9000gn as RCBs is from China. (say no to CHINA)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:07 am 
Tournament Grade

The Grand is very solid & smooth to operate and in my opinion the feel is comparable to Dillon reloaders for metallic. Regarding other differences, besides being able to empty powder & shot bottles WITHOUT tilting the bottles, the Grand uses bushings to change powder and shot drop charges, i.e. NO changing the charge bar. Also it accepts Hornaday bushings as well, which are a little less $ than RCBS bushings. But the best feature as has been noted previously is not dropping powder or shot without a hull present. It WILL however drop powder in a hull that doesn't have a primer which is why they recommend to pre-fill the primer drop tube. I added a small mirror below the powder drop station myself for a visual check of a primed hull. I recently stripped mine down and it's still good as new, not had anything break on it. Cleaned, relubed and good to go until the next 5 year snow storm, lol. Both good machines, just different.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Grand and the MEC are exactly alike in one respect: both must be set up properly to function properly. I own both and both will produce quality reloads all day long as long as they are adjusted correctly. This is true of any reloading machine. Read your literature and if you still don’t get it, then ask somebody. There is plenty of help here and I can’t speak for MEC, but RCBS will bend over backwards to help you

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Curly N wrote:
I have made up my mind about this subject and refuse to be confused by any body else's opinion or facts, however erroneous they might be. :mrgreen:

This is a fantastic line!