ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000 Maintenance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Took my 9000GN 20 ga apart and cleaned and lubed everything. I was amazed at how much junk was in the collet assembly: dirty grease, powder flakes etc. I cleaned the parts in mineral spirits, dried and lightly greased with super web grease. It’s amazing how smoothly it now operates. Curley has excellent step by step illustrations if you want to take on the job. I’m going to do it now at least yearly.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000 Maintenance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Agreed

I never short cut the collet, as soon as I’ve worn through the last application of super web grease I pull the entire assembly down for a thorough cleaning. Being able to completely clean all surfaces and polish the outside of the collet fingers and inside of the closer makes a HUGE difference. At the same time getting under the shell carrier and cleaning the bed of the press smooths things out nicely too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

is there a link to the instructions for cleaning the press.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:03 pm 

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=148737

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Curly N wrote:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=148737

Thanks Curly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:45 pm 

icyclefar wrote:
Agreed

I never short cut the collet, as soon as I’ve worn through the last application of super web grease I pull the entire assembly down for a thorough cleaning. Being able to completely clean all surfaces and polish the outside of the collet fingers and inside of the closer makes a HUGE difference. At the same time getting under the shell carrier and cleaning the bed of the press smooths things out nicely too.

You have any idea how many thousands of loads that interval using Super Web is? I know that it is a really long time on my presses, long enough that I forget how long it was since the last cleaning and greasing. Taking my time and piddling around finds me finished doing it in fifteen minutes or less.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a little hint that some may find useful. When the center post spring is to be lowered back into place after servicing the turret area, I place a little dob of grease on the back of the index ball retainer and then place it against the center post where it belongs. It will now stay in place while lowering the spring.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Curly N wrote:
You have any idea how many thousands of loads that interval using Super Web is? I know that it is a really long time on my presses, long enough that I forget how long it was since the last cleaning and greasing. Taking my time and piddling around finds me finished doing it in fifteen minutes or less.

I typically get about 10,000+/- before I tear down the collet assembly to clean and re-grease with super web.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
I have a little hint that some may find useful. When the center post spring is to be lowered back into place after servicing the turret area, I place a little dob of grease on the back of the index ball retainer and then place it against the center post where it belongs. It will now stay in place while lowering the spring.

I made up a spacer to help with that task out of a piece of 1” PVC

I cut it just a bit taller than the height of the index spring and put it in place while the column spring is still held up by the wrench. I can now place the detent ball and index spring, then grab the column spring 4 or 5 coils up to take the pressure of while removing the spacer and lowering the spring gently.